Is my new puppy to small? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Is my new puppy to small?

Is my new puppy to small?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, and also new to owning a rottie! Sorry if this is kind of long. I purchased a male rott puppy from a couple in my area. They were very nice people. They allowed me to visit my pup all the time and took them to vet for well puppy checks and shots etc. My puppy isn't papered but that doesn't matter to me. Dad was about 120lbs, Mom about 90. Both on site with great calm temperaments. My,little guy (that we named Saribus) was supposed to be ready to come home August 11th at 8 weeks. However, they called me the day after he saw the vet for his shots and dewormng at 6 weeks and said the vet said they were fine to go home since mom,and stopped feeding them 2 weeks earlier. I was against this because I know they learn alot from their siblings the next couple,weeks but they were already sending the other pups to their homes as well,so I picked mine up. (Mom had a litter of 10). Anyway we brought him home saturday. I purchased the same food that the breeder was using (diamond puppy) and my puppy isn't eating. He eats a couple bites a day and that's it. I called the vet and he said not to worry, He might Just be stressed from leaving his siblings. But at 6 weeks he only weighs 6 pounds. Isn't that small for a rottweiler? He hasn't lost weight. He's just small. I've seen people post that their 7 week old pups are 12-15lbs! He's acting fine, playful...etc. But i,don't understand why he's so tiny and why he isn't eating. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Here he is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is my new puppy to small?-picsart_07-30-04_1470076780295.06.19.jpg  
    Sheera'smom, Bwilson and Laura like this.

Have a look here Rottweiler Puppy Growth Chart - Average Puppy Weights your pup may be the runt of the litter & 6 weeks is to early to leave the mother. The breeder may of been sick of looking after 10 pups so shifted them out early.
    Bwilson and Steph King like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I was kind of thinking that myself. She went from saying they could leave no earlier than the 11th, to basically giving me no choice but to pick up 13 days early. All the pups were about his size. There was one girl that was about 2lbs heavier than the rest. The others were all within a pound or so of mine. I don't know if it could be that there were so many pups that they just didn't grow enough or what? My boyfriend keeps joking that he's going to be "mini". Have you seen pups this size grow to be big? And what do you guys use for food? They gave him diamond puppy so I stuck with that but now I'm hearing bad things about it.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

You can try wetting the food to let it soften before feeding him. If you decide to change food completely you can use canned pumpkin not the pumpkin pie in a can. Just give a small amount on a spoon to eat or in his bowl. This should help keep poops solid. We have had emergency switching of food without the slow transitions to the new food and this helped. He is adorable and congratulations. Time will tell on his size. Depends on the puppy but most runts catch up with their siblings. Remember Wilbur was a runt and became Zuckerman's famous pig. At that young age he will be really bonded with you but maybe a terror in the mouthing. So I would try some puppy socialization classes so he can meet other young ones to remind him them teeth hurt. Best of luck with the new puppy. Just love puppy breath and tiny feet. It goes by quickly.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Hello your puppy is so adorable. Sounds your dog have a hard time experience for her food or she not likes the smell, in other words she's a picky eater. We set the pet first | We Love Animals has a lot of information related to your situation, and I think you can find some helpful information there too.
    Stay Cool

Thank you everyone! He has started mouthing a little already but we are being strict with him. He's doing very well with training already. Day 3 and he can sit and shake with about 70% accuracy. He has eaten a little more today but I've tried softening it with water and he doesn't like that either.
    Sheera'smom and Steph King like this.

Yeah they pick up training pretty quick. You can try mixing some canned puppy food in also. Poor little one. Have you had a vet check yet?
    Steph King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
    Have a look here Rottweiler Puppy Growth Chart - Average Puppy Weights your pup may be the runt of the litter & 6 weeks is to early to leave the mother. The breeder may of been sick of looking after 10 pups so shifted them out early.
    It's so hard to say what a dog will end up maturing into when they are done growing. My two dogs are great examples of that. Lars was 7 ounces when he was born and all of his other littermates were 12+ ounces. Lars is now 24.5" tall at between 90 and 95 pounds. He ended up catching up with the other males from his litter and he didn't really fill out until he was about 5 years old. Lars is going to be 9 in December. Lars didn't break 75 pounds until he was about 4 - 5 years old.

Then there's my other dog Ocean. He was a substantial puppy with a lot of bone. I think he was like 14 ounces when he was born. I fully expected him to mature into a large and substantial dog. Ocean is 4.5 years old....and he is only 22.5" tall and he's 85 pounds, which is a perfect size for running agility. That puppy chart that I quoted above says Ocean currently is the weight of a 8 - 10 month old puppy. He might have been around 70 pounds at that age.

Your puppy will end up being the size that his genetics allow him to be. Size isn't the end all when it comes to rottweilers. I would much rather have a smaller dog with a sound temperament, correct structure, and a good work ethic instead of mass.

Good luck with your pup!
    Last edited by MrsBoatsRI; 08-03-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    Capp, Sheera'smom, Bwilson and 1 others like this.
    URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP C-CD OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
    Multi High in Obedience Trial Winner; American Rottweiler Club Top 10: Agility, Rally, Obedience

Ocean RE OJP OAP XFP PD SPS APJ APG APK SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC
    American Rottweiler Club Top 10: Agility & Rally

Pretty young! I would encourage him to eat a little more. Goats milk is awesome to add in. Our grocery does not have fresh but does have powdered. <<Maybe even add a little pablum like Gerbers rice cereal.
    Capp, Sheera'smom and Bwilson like this.
    Audrey
    AKC CH Darkstarr's Heart and Soul aka Panzer
    AKC CH Queen Vom Vollenhaus BH(2006-2013 RIP)
    Dani von der Donnerbrucke BH CGC
    Thor von Eisenhart BH CGC Godspeed and RIP
    Cimaron 6/01/1996-8/08/2007

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast