How soon after whelping does a bitch typically come back into heat? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How soon after whelping does a bitch typically come back into heat?

How soon after whelping does a bitch typically come back into heat?

I was just curious as I got a note from Sadies breeder that her bitch is due again in Oct. :-( Sadie was just born Feb 1 of this year. I know very little about breeding since I never ever would, but it just seems like 2 litters in the same year is SO wrong on so many levels.

Patti, From what I remember it can be 4 months. Nikki was from the second litter of a repeat breeding. Now Nikki's Mom isn't being bred back again for sometime.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
    For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Don't know if it's right, but I'm sure I read somewhere that a bitch needs at least a year after breeding to get her strength and condition back to normal, before she's bred again.

females cycle every 4-8 months with 6 being average

so if a litter was born in Feb that would mean she was in season 2 months prior- so December

I would expect the female to come back into season anywhere from April to August and some have a delay in cycling after a litter by a month or two

A female who short cycles (4 months) will have come into season twice since Dec

In this case if she is due in Oct then she was in season in August

many repro vets advise breeding a female one cycle after another til her breeding life is done (to minimize the risk of pyometra a serious uterine infection) however most recommend 1 heat cycle between litters OR back to back litters skip 1-2 cycles and then breed again. Everything depends on how many pups were born and how well the female recovered fully

I personally do not believe in bitches having more than 3 litters total in their entire life and while I have done a couple back to backs, I like to see the pups grow up and see what I have before doing another breeding in general. My last two litters were 2 1/2 years apart

There were only 2 pups in Sadies litter, and it was the bitches first litter at the age of 2+. I was disappointed to learn of the second litter, just because she knew I was having joint issues with Sadie already, and I thought I had her convinced to spay the bitch anyway. She is bred to the same dog again that sired Sadie. Both wonderful temperaments, but no testing done, and no working history. Of course I learned most of that important stuff AFTER I got Sadie and joined the forum.

I bred my weimaraners 2 times in a row after they were 2 years old and then skipped a heat. They were x-rayed for their hips and were good but back then OFA wasn't necessarily done just having them done and determined they were OK by your Vet was adequate. They only had 6 or 7 pups in the litters so my dogs recovered nicely. The male was OFA certified and an American and Canadian Champion. They were only bred a total of 4 times.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
    For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Well Sadie at least YOU know better now, too bad your breeder not only continues to breed an untested dog, but is breeding a dog back to back. I do not believe there is ever a reason to not let at MINIMUM a year go between litters.

+ Reply to Thread