is polysporin okay for dogs? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is polysporin okay for dogs?

is polysporin okay for dogs?

my dog was recently spayed and although nothing is wrong with the healing wound, i was just wondering if there might be any benefit to putting an antibiotic ointment on the wound. i mentioned polysporin because it always seems to work well for me.

Not necessary. If the dog licks at the incision, put a bitter cream AROUND the incision to deter licking. Putting anything on the incision to keep it moist is an open invitation for infection UNLESS you can keep it covered, which is next to impossible for abdomens on dogs.

Edited to add: If you do put anything on the incision, the dog is likely to lick it off anyways.
    Last edited by RottiMomCT; 10-08-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added info
    Anne
    Forever mom to:
    Phoenix's Cabaret Lady RN, CGC (Neelah)
    A Little Xtra Jolt O'Java RA, CGC (Jayda)

At the Bridge -
    my heart dog, the one who started it all:
    North East's Oxford Scholar CD, RN,CGC, TT (Ben) 4/16/99 - 6/20/11
    and his nemesis -
    Ace Fighter Pilot (Baron) ~9/4/2001 - 11/23/11

she can't lick the wound because she is wearing the Cone Of Shame, but nevertheless i'll follow your advice. keep in mind though that polysporin is an antibiotic so (in humans at least) it prevents infection, not increases the possibility of it. dogs may be a different matter, which is why i posted to the wonderful ROL forum before doing anything.

Even an antibiotic ointment can increase chances of infection...case in point, I put an antibiotic ointment on a scrape I got from taking an AC unit out of a window at work - cleaned it good, put ointment on it and put a bandage over it. Two days later it is nasty swollen and painful - and infected. I have to keep it covered at all times at work, and I'm super careful about keeping it clean at home as well - but it's still infected.

It is best to keep the incision dry at least until the sutures come out, or at least 10-14 days post-op
    Anne
    Forever mom to:

At the Bridge -
    and his nemesis -

so it shall be done.

in regards to you, was it polysporin that you used? that stuff has worked wonders on me over the years and i'd never stop using it (for certain types of injuries).

Yes, it was although it could be that the spot where I got hurt, along the left side of the ring finger on my left hand (next to my pinky finger), is just a tough spot and every time I bend my finger it flexes the scab/healing area. I won't stop using it either - but this particular time, allowing the wound to stay moist allowed infection to take over rather quickly. Perhaps allowing it to dry up would have staved off infection? Who knows - certainly not me!!

I'm always hesitant to put anything on my dogs that'll keep an injury/surgical site moist unless instructed by the vet. With hot spots or any other 'assault' to the skin, letting air get to it usually speeds healing.
    Anne
    Forever mom to:

At the Bridge -
    and his nemesis -

yeah, and i wouldn't be surprised if a dog's skin was even more hardy than that of a human. that seems to be the case most of the time with animals.

+ Reply to Thread