2 year old Male Rottie has vitiligo Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 year old Male Rottie has vitiligo

2 year old Male Rottie has vitiligo

My husband and I went on vacation this past summer and left our dogs in the care of my parents (who both dogs see on a regular basis and are comfortable with). When we returned our rottie, Chief, had pink spots showing up on his nose. These were not present before we left and proceeded to get worse in the weeks after we returned. Our veterinarian could not determine the cause and referred us to a dermatologist. We also noticed that his eye lashes were turning white and he was getting little white hairs spread out all over his body. After doing some research of my own I realized the likely problem was vitiligo. The dermatologist agreed with this diagnosis but needed a biopsy to confirm 100%. Because the main symptoms were on his nose and around his eyes I did not allow the biopsy for fear of scarring and traumatizing him. Its not bothering anything physically. Its just a cosmetic issue. I am not concerned as long as its not bothering him. However, the white hairs are still popping up all over and now he has a white patch of fur directly under one eye. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this in their rottweiler and if anyone knows how long we can expect to see more little white hairs showing up? From my research it looks like stress is a trigger if the gene for vitiligo is present. Apparently Chief didn't like being away from us. I love Chief for who he is and could care less if he looks different than other rotties. I was just wondering if the white hairs will ever stop showing up. Thanks.

2 year old Male Rottie has vitiligo-072.jpg
    This is a picture to show the white hairs and spots on his nose and around his lips.

Hi Wild79wolf, I have seen a few pictures of Rotties with vitiligo. I don't know if the white spots stop but one rottie on another forum I went to a longtime ago kept getting more white spots.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
    For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

I have 2 friends that have this but I've never seen a dog with it. Hey if you don't care I'm sure he doesn't.....don't give him a mirror he might say yikes.... LOL

I will say my Rhea, has a totally blonde belly.....I think she wants to be like me....blonde! Kitty, will be 11 yrs. old in Jan. and has no white hairs but Rhea, is graying around her chin and has several thru her coat....and she's only 7 yrs. old. Go figure!
    ROL Administrator

\" Angel Rescues \"

RIP my sweet Allie, Zeus, Apollo, Kitty, & Rhea I will see you at the bridge.

Thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread