Hello from Boulder Colorado Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello from Boulder Colorado

Hello from Boulder Colorado

New to the forum. Just wanted to stop by and say hello. My wife and I are looking to purchase our 3rd Rottie. This will be the 1st one on almost 10 years. Any and all recommendations for breeders in and around CO is welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums. I just checked out the ARC go to www.amrottclub.or and found that Colorado has a Rottweiler club. Mile High Rottweiler club of Greater Denver
    Try e-mailing your state club and see if there are any recommended breeders in your state. Also if you do get a recommendation for a breeder....even if that breeder is not breeding, maybe they can recommend another breeder ?

With the virus and no shows or events being held, it's not going to be easy to find a well bred puppy at this time. I'm sure there are all sorts of BYB pups. Another idea is to look at rescue or shelters...often there are young dogs that are needing homes.
    Frieda likes this.

Hello and welcome!

Ditto Big Black Dogs

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
    Hello and welcome!

Ditto Big Black Dogs

Thank you both very much. Be well!

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any searching for dog suggestions, but good luck on your search!

Welcome to the forum. I second the recommendation to adopt. We have adopted 8 of our 10 Rotties over the past 30 plus years. Each one is/was different and wonderful in their own way. A Rottweiler Rescue group is a good place to start looking. They will take your experience into account and your needs. You can also look on-line at rescueme.org in your state. There are currently 3 Rottie mixes in your state listed, but lots of others parts and pure breed in other states if you wish to go outside your state.

We once flew to Texas and drove a Rottie back to Cali in a rented vehicle... but I fell in love with that boy, was horrified by his story on-line and my husband was sweet and indulgent right after my previous boy died. It was an interesting experience and I feel lucky to have taken that one in and given him a good 18 months before he succumbed to cancer. He had a hideous life before he was rescued. One of my favorite memories of him was how he came to play with our 70 lb Boxer (he was 120 lb) and they chest bumped and the poor Boxer got knocked on his butt, practically did a back flip. That sweet gentle Rottie who had been severely beaten and starved, never chest bumped him again, he would roll on the ground (my husband called it sliding into first) rolled on his back with his legs in the air and the Boxer would then jump back and forth over him in play. Giving a good home to a mistreated or unsocialized Rottie is not for everyone, but has been ultimately very rewarding for us.

One piece of advice: I recommend dog insurance. We pay something monthly, but it allows us to handle big problems that otherwise would cost a small fortune. Over the years we have replaced hips, put ACL's back together and treated treatable cancers successfully. With insurance was so much better. Without insurance we got into major debt. Those surgeries are only getting more and more expensive. So many of ours have died of cancer too...

Good luck in your search for a dog. And when you get one, don't forget training! Rotties MUST be worked with. Certain bloodlines need to work more than you might have time for, that's something to take into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph King View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I second the recommendation to adopt. We have adopted 8 of our 10 Rotties over the past 30 plus years. Each one is/was different and wonderful in their own way. A Rottweiler Rescue group is a good place to start looking. They will take your experience into account and your needs. You can also look on-line at rescueme.org in your state. There are currently 3 Rottie mixes in your state listed, but lots of others parts and pure breed in other states if you wish to go outside your state.

We once flew to Texas and drove a Rottie back to Cali in a rented vehicle... but I fell in love with that boy, was horrified by his story on-line and my husband was sweet and indulgent right after my previous boy died. It was an interesting experience and I feel lucky to have taken that one in and given him a good 18 months before he succumbed to cancer. He had a hideous life before he was rescued. One of my favorite memories of him was how he came to play with our 70 lb Boxer (he was 120 lb) and they chest bumped and the poor Boxer got knocked on his butt, practically did a back flip. That sweet gentle Rottie who had been severely beaten and starved, never chest bumped him again, he would roll on the ground (my husband called it sliding into first) rolled on his back with his legs in the air and the Boxer would then jump back and forth over him in play. Giving a good home to a mistreated or unsocialized Rottie is not for everyone, but has been ultimately very rewarding for us.

One piece of advice: I recommend dog insurance. We pay something monthly, but it allows us to handle big problems that otherwise would cost a small fortune. Over the years we have replaced hips, put ACL's back together and treated treatable cancers successfully. With insurance was so much better. Without insurance we got into major debt. Those surgeries are only getting more and more expensive. So many of ours have died of cancer too...

Good luck in your search for a dog. And when you get one, don't forget training! Rotties MUST be worked with. Certain bloodlines need to work more than you might have time for, that's something to take into account.
    Thank you very much for your response. I hope you are well. We currently have a rescue am staff that is missing her front left leg. We have weighed our options with regards to our next dog and always wanted another Rottie. We have owned several Rotties in my lifetime and are very well versed in the world of Rotties. Insurance is 100% a must. I will never own another dog without it. All of the issues you mentioned we went through with our last male. Both ACL's and then osteosarcoma.

We were lucky enough to get connected with a breeder here in Colorado that the moderator guided us to. We are now going through the process of getting to know each other. In fact, we are going to meet her next weekend face to face (socially distanced of course) for the first time. The breeding wont occur until summer so this gives us a chance to see if we are right for each other. So far the communication has been top shelf. We are going to do some agility and confirmation with the dog so we want to make sure we get the right puppy.

Be well-
    Sean
    Steph King likes this.

Super Moderator
    I do understand about wanting to get a well bred puppy. Sometimes, that is what you need at that time in your life. My motto is to either adopt a dog from a rescue or shelter....or buy from an ethical breeder that is producing well bred puppies. No BYB's or commercial kennels.

Through the years we've had many other breeds, and Rottweilers that were adopted....usually foster fails..lol The heartbreak of never having them live long enough, or having them come with health problems...does take it's toll. Sometimes you just want to start with a healthy well bred pup, that you can do things with in the future. To train them well from the start. In my old age...I don't think I will start with a puppy again...and will most likely adopt a mature/older dog. Puppies are tons of work....but you do have to put the time and energy into them to get good results.

Sean....glad that you got in touch with a breeder. Which breeder are you in discussions with of the three, that I suggested?
    Steph King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    I do understand about wanting to get a well bred puppy. Sometimes, that is what you need at that time in your life. My motto is to either adopt a dog from a rescue or shelter....or buy from an ethical breeder that is producing well bred puppies. No BYB's or commercial kennels.

Through the years we've had many other breeds, and Rottweilers that were adopted....usually foster fails..lol The heartbreak of never having them live long enough, or having them come with health problems...does take it's toll. Sometimes you just want to start with a healthy well bred pup, that you can do things with in the future. To train them well from the start. In my old age...I don't think I will start with a puppy again...and will most likely adopt a mature/older dog. Puppies are tons of work....but you do have to put the time and energy into them to get good results.

Sean....glad that you got in touch with a breeder. Which breeder are you in discussions with of the three, that I suggested?

Cornerstone Rottweilers is the breeder.

Super Moderator
    Wonderful!! Hope it all works out for you!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast