New Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wabatuckian
  • 1 Post By big black dogs

Thread: New

New

Hello,

We just rescued a Rott on Tuesday. She was given to us by an older gentleman who just couldn't handle her. She's only 6mos old on the 28th.

I immediately began working with her, and I'm amazed by the lack of bad habits she developed. The worst is jumping, and she's mostly stopped that with work. She does occasionally try to herd my 6-year-old daughter, but I'm working with both daughter and dog on this. Additionally, I have a Jolly Ball on the way for her. She doesn't bite, and only occasionally mouths. She was outside up until we got her, but there have been no potty training issues.

I'm frankly amazed at how far she's come in the past week. She's a really good dog. Doesn't bite, and isn't destructive. She did chew a Frisbee up, but I kinda' expected that. Her ball is just fine.

I'm chasing a loose stool issue as of yesterday, but I suspect it's related to the feeding schedule (she never had one, and we're working her into one.)

My background includes a German Shepherd, a couple Labrador Retrievers, a Lab/Husky mix rescue (stubborn and smart.) Thus far the Lab/Husky was the most challenging.

We will spay her, but are trying to decide the best time. I've read that this breed doesn't generally go into heat until a year old, and I'd like to let her bones and such develop as long as possible. Still researching that.

Interesting dog, to be sure.

Regards.
    Steph King likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums, and thank-you for rescuing your girl. If you've had a German Shepherd and anything Husky...you should be fine raising a Rottweiler. The one thing with Rottweilers is to socialize them...with different people (kids, tall people, people with hats, beards, sunglasses,etc.) and to be social around other dogs. Rottweilers can often be same sex aggressive as they reach maturity....so don't be surprised if one day she decides she does not like other dogs. They are usually not dog park material either....they may not start a fight...but will be blamed for one.

As far as spaying. Most often females do come into heat any time from 7-8 months to 12 months...don't be surprised if she comes into heat within the next couple of months. If you think you can get through a heat with her safely and keep her contained without getting pregnant...then let her go through a heat, and then wait a few months after her heat is over...then spay her. Usually they are about a year old by that time. Young females often have irregular heat cycles...I know that my Jemma came into heat the first time around 8 months, and then 3 months later came into heat again!!! She went through two heats by the time she was spayed at 14 months of age. If you don't feel comfortable...then spay her now.
    Steph King likes this.

Welcome! We have very similar dog histories. It sounds like you're doing great things with your girl!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Thanks folks.

I've helped raise a couple Australian Shepherds (one next to my German Shepherd as a kid; the other, my parents', right now.) The Rott reminds me a lot of their attitude, but without the stubbornness. The GSD, Husky mix and, to a lesser extent, the Aussies, were somewhat stubborn. They get ideas they want to try, and I had to fight against that.

The Rott's disobedience seems to be more centered around wanting to be with her people, and excitement caused by that urge.

Regards.

What BBD said is perfect. I have nothing to add, but that Rotties are very smart and they tend to learn quickly. The herding instinct can look like other things, so I'm glad you are aware of it. Our female Rott is always attempting to herd the big male around or keep him out of other rooms. She will sleep by the dog door in the garage to the house to keep him out of the house... but then she's out of the house too... so I don't know that she thinks it out. When we are not home we don't care if they come in the house or not... so she's not doing something we asked her to do. She's just being bossy.

Adopted dogs are different, they have different initial experiences with people and other dogs that color their personalities. I usually go to animal communicators to get a read on their previous lives and it can help. Generally what I learn plays out in their subsequent behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Agis View Post
    Welcome! We have very similar dog histories. It sounds like you're doing great things with your girl!
    Coincidentally, me too, what we should do best with our girls.

+ Reply to Thread