want a puppy Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
Closed Thread

Thread: want a puppy

I just joined rottweilersonline. I joined because I wanted advice on where I should go for a puppy. I have been looking at a lot of breeders online, and have been realy interested in a breeder from Oklahoma. She will sell me an AKC Registered puppy for $900 which includes chip, crate and shipping. This seems really cheap to me, which has me a little worried. Another breeder looks really good, but I live in utah, and the breeder lives in Ohio, and I would be worried about shipping an 8 week puppy from that far away. The breeder in Ohio will charge $1200 dollars, again it includes chiping and shipping. I have also looked at a breeder in Idaho. Their dogs are not all AKC, and the pictures seem like they aren't the best looking, but I can go and pick the puppy up from them, and see how it is raised before buying. The breeder in Idaho is also the cheepest.

There is one decent breeder I found in Utah, but he seems to be overcharging for his puppies, and when I visited the kennel, I was very unimpressed. The puppies had discolored inner ears. what would the more experienced puppy buyers recomend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I would recommend contacting your local kennel club, or Rottweiler club if there is one and makea few contacts with them. They should have information on local breeders. Have you considered rescuing a Rottweiler? There are many of them that need homes and they are temperment tested and health checked, you know a lot more about what you are getting with one through a goodrescue than when you buy a puppy of unknown parentage.

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted.

Susan & Magi
    V-3 Farmore\'z Blu Magnum Stihl TT CGC DSA

1) take your time.

2) stick around here, and also I would recommend you join some of the mailing lists. There are several at Yahoo. Rottweiler-L is a good one. Another one is Rottie-L. If you do a search on Rottie-L you will find the website and the info on how to join it. Being a member of these lists, you will get to read what people write in. You will know who is showing dogs, who is breeding dogs, and get a general feel for who and how people are.

Finding the right breeder takes time. One should TAKE the time to get to know people before you make a commitment to buy a puppy. A good breeder will be your support and friend for the life of the puppy and beyond.

Other hints include buying a puppy from people who are screening, and reporting ALL RESULTS from hip, elbow, eye and heart testing.

Even tho you may not be interested in a show prospect puppy, I recommend people buy from a breeder who is competing in some way with their dogs. There are puppies who will not be show dogs in almost every litter. Most people who show their dogs have a strong interest in producing healthy dogs who look like Rottweilers and have correct stable temperament.

Best of luck in your search. Take your time, the right puppy will be worth it.
    Redyre Rottweilers
    <font size=\"4\"> <font color=RED> [url=\"http://www.redyre.com\"]REDYRE ROTTWEILERS[/url]</font></font>
    [url=\"http://www.redyre.com/NOTailsExcuseMe.jpg\"]EXCUSE ME![/url]

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your advice, I will try and find a rottweiler club. I have only breifly thought about rescuing, my wife and I would prefer to start out "small" becasue we have a small home now, but will be moving in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by magyar View Post
    I just joined rottweilersonline. I joined because I wanted advice on where I should go for a puppy. I have been looking at a lot of breeders online, and have been realy interested in a breeder from Oklahoma. She will sell me an AKC Registered puppy for $900 which includes chip, crate and shipping. This seems really cheap to me, which has me a little worried. Another breeder looks really good, but I live in utah, and the breeder lives in Ohio, and I would be worried about shipping an 8 week puppy from that far away. The breeder in Ohio will charge $1200 dollars, again it includes chiping and shipping. I have also looked at a breeder in Idaho. Their dogs are not all AKC, and the pictures seem like they aren't the best looking, but I can go and pick the puppy up from them, and see how it is raised before buying. The breeder in Idaho is also the cheepest.

There is one decent breeder I found in Utah, but he seems to be overcharging for his puppies, and when I visited the kennel, I was very unimpressed. The puppies had discolored inner ears. what would the more experienced puppy buyers recomend?

I think you can consider the one who lives in Ohio But you can cut down $1200 to $900 by removing shipping. You can save your money by saying him to tell only the pricing of puppy.
    And chose other pet transporting service which will help you cutting cost. As they will charge less then the guy is charging.

Super Moderator
    This thread is 13 years old!!! I'm sure the cost of a puppy has gone up in all of these years...as well as the cost to ship.

Closed Thread