Clipping nails problem - Page 2 Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Clipping nails problem

It doesn't take much for a dog, and a rottie in particular, to form a negative opinion about something. And clipping nails seems to top a lot of dogs lists. I don't think i have anything to add except the treats and the desensitizing to a dremel. I've also noticed that I had a tendency to squeeze their paw while i was trying to squeeze the nail clippers, hence switching to a dremel. And it's harder to nip the quick with a dremel. Good luck!
    kevin1959 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Wait, I don't get what is the point of this post after all. You asked for advice, advice was given but none of them work for you apparently. I still believe that sedating is not a good option, even cutting nails with muzzle on is better. Why don't you try different ways of clipping your dogs nails, you can't not to do something just because your dog doesn't like it. There will be many situations where you will have to take control over your dog and if you can't even clip it's nails without sedating than sorry, that's just sad. And playing a rescue dog card doesn't change the situation. I have had a very aggressive rescue dog and we worked on all the issues every day for years and it was never an excuse not to do something,etc. And I do understand the fact that the dog has arthritis and it's painful so there is an option for that as well. Go swimming (super healthy for dogs with this kind of issues) and then clip its nails. Put the muzzle on, someone holds the head, massage the legs and nails and do them one by one. Meanwhile talk with the dog in a calm voice,etc.
    *The dog is the only animal that has seen it's god.*

My dog was a rescue. You can do this. It's not like you can just skip certain aspects of life like shots and nail care. Add bath, brushing oral hygiene, and ear care, or taking medication when it's needed. It's just stuff every dog owner has to work on, rescue or not. It may mean you have to really give it a good try (again). You're the human with the brains and the dog doesn't get to run the show. Make up your mind to do it right and be successful.

Trust me, I've worked with a great many rescues. Many have learned that intimidation works. Stetson was a great big intimidating guy about this! (at first) I saw a notable measure of result in about a week or so. But I was only playing with paw and I thought he needed more. (so it would translate to premanent behavior) I did it for months, because I wanted it "solid". Playing with paws several times a day with praise and treats desensitizes the dog and builds trust. It takes a while but is well worth the effort. Don't give up so soon. It's not rocket science and can be done. Be positive, be fair, use praise and rewards. You CAN.
    Last edited by Sabellesmom; 08-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I can tell you it is a long process but something you need to work thru. I know for me, because of the black nails, I am tentative and I know Schatzi can sense my hesitation and that is why I take her to a groomer. I have also found that Schatzi does not like being restrained so I found a groomer that allows me to be with her and just holds her on a leash while feeding treats. Schazti really likes the groomer and runs to go into the place. It has taken time and patience, and we still continue to work thru it.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
    Our dogs nails are getting long & she would not let groomer cut them so we took her to the vet who had to sedate her to cut her nails as she will not have them cut. The vet only took off a small amount as they said she fought the sedation & was aggressive to them so they will not do her nails again so how can we get them trimmed as they are still long. We walk her on hard ground but the problem is her nails grow quickly.
    You can nail do Dog nail clipping and grooming at home.Keep them tightly and snatch the neck. Also, snatch bak side both legs. Then after, hold the front leg and cut the nails. After cutting the nails from you free your dog and he feels relaxed. You can feed them, after few hours. I know that is not easy task but you can do it with keep some patience.

Quote Originally Posted by deanning View Post
    Keep them tightly and snatch the neck. Also, snatch bak side both legs. Then after, hold the front leg and cut the nails. After cutting the nails from you free your dog and he feels relaxed. You can feed them, after few hours. I know that is not easy task but you can do it with keep some patience.
    It sounds like you are advocating force, perhaps? Because most previous recommendations have been more of a positive nature. The dog in my explanation was over 100 lbs. I basically never recommend any kind of force, which can be rather scary for the dog and it may defend. Did you read other responses? Now, you may have not exactly have meant to hint at force at all. Feel free to explain. I guess I'm not liking the words "snatch" and "snatch back". Not worth it if this is upsetting, and the dog is frightened into a negative behavior of his own.
    I also don't mean to imply that you become totally soft and mushy and allow the dog to run the show. Be matter of fact. It's more like convincing the dog "i'm touching your foot. You're just fine." Reward any compliance, and keep doing that until you have developed a more accepting response.
    big black dogs and Andrea52 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12