Calcium intake for a puppy Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calcium intake for a puppy

Calcium intake for a puppy

Helo all,

and nice to meet you, I have a four and a half month old male rottie and I`ve been researching online on how much my rottie calcium and phosphorous daily intake should be.
    TBH i`m a bit confused atm as the online recommendations are different than what the breeder recommended me

What I`m reading online basically is telling me I should feed my rottie minimum of 2g and a maximum of 4.5g of Ca per 1000kcal of food, P intake should be almost the same min of 2.5g, max 4g per 1000kcal of food.

So here`s my current nutrition breakdown

Breakfast - 300g of Royal Canin Puppy Giant = contains 3.1g of Ca
    Launch - 400g of chicken breast = contains 50mg of Ca and about 1g of P
    Dinner - 300g of Royal Canin Puppy Giant = contains 3.1g of Ca

I have been recommended two different lines of calcium supplement
    First one - contains 650mg of Ca and 410mg of P in a 3g tab (its actually 2760mg of dicalcium phosphate)
    The second one - contains 220mg of CA and 70mg of P in a 1g tab

And here is where my confusion starts - Let`s say im fine with Royal Canin`s 3.1g of Ca per meal and that I only want to supplement the meaty launch.
    If I wanna supplement the launch with the first supplement line, and i will be hitting the P limit as meat contains much more P dan C I would need to add 6x3g Tabs to the launch! And in case of the second supplement line that would be around 17x1G tabs ....

TBH something seems off here, my breeder told me to add 1.5x3g tabs per day which doesn't seem to be enough.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    If you are feeding a commercial dog food, you do NOT need to add any calcium. You can do more harm than good if you add calcium to the diet. Large breeds like Rottweilers (they are not a Giant breed)....need to eat a commercial food that is 1:1 calcium/phosphorus ...or as close to that as possible.

Chicken breast has no calcium in it...unless you are feeding the bones...and that is not much. I would get your pup on a Large Breed Puppy food, and stop feeding the raw chicken breast for lunch. You can add some healthy additives such as canned sardines, a raw egg, a dollop of plain yogurt, berries , or melon,etc. Is there a better quality food that you can buy other than Royal Canin?

Super Moderator
    Just took a look at the Royal Canin Giant Puppy food. The calcium/phos is balanced at 1.1-.92% ...you do NOT need to be adding any calcium. You could affect bone growth with too much calcium. The food is really a grain based food...very little meat, and tons of grains..and low in calories.

Here are some of the main ingredients:Chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, wheat gluten, brewers rice flour, corn, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, natural flavors, dried plain beet pulp, sodium silico aluminate, monocalcium phosphate, vegetable oil, fish oil, potassium chloride, salt, psyllium seed husk, calcium carbonate, fructooligosaccharides, L-lysine,

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately, Royal Canin is the most quality food in my part of the world.
    No grain choices are not so good there are some no grain brainds like : Belcando, Cangan, Carnilove, but looking at the ingredients they just replace the grains with potatos/peas/apples...

Anyways statement that no calcium is needed when feeding commercial food is not all that true, depending on the brand and food line the amount of calcium can vary very much and as I said RC Puppy Giant has 3.1 grams of CA per 1000kcal other foods even go below 1 gram of Ca per 1000Kcal.
    A vet told me if a puppy is being fed with a budged crappy food it should always be supplemented with Ca and P. but my case is different I need to supplement the meat meal with the correct amount of calcium and phosphorous.

TBH I I`m unable to find a solid answer on how much GRAMS of Ca should a rottie puppy take daily, as I mentioned the closes answer I found is 2 to 4.5 grams per 1000 kcal.
    My dog eats about 3000kcal per day and intakes 6.5g of Ca without supplementing the mineral.... I don't think that`s enough for a rottie but I may be wrong...

Super Moderator
    Commercial food has more than enough calcium!! Over doing calcium is not going to make your pup grow better, or stronger, and could in fact hurt the growth in his bones. If you are India..it seems to be common for vets to be pushing calcium there. Adding calcium and other supplements is not linear with growing pups...they gain weight and the amount they need changes in as little as two weeks.

If you are on Facebook, join K9kitchen group. Monica will be able to help you with the numbers....though I don't think any calcium is needed. The one thing you do not want is your pup growing too fast, and gaining weight too fast. Slow and steady growth is what you want. Gaining about 10 lbs a month till about 7-8 months and then the growth slows down.

Your pup is 41/2 months old and you are feeding him 3000 calories per day?? That sounds like a huge amount of food! You want slow and steady growth. I've been in the breed for about 25 years and have raised quite a few pups, and have never fed 3000 calories per day to such a young dog. I think you need to start educating yourself about the breed, and growth or you may run into skeletal problems in the future.

Okay, okay chill Im here to educate myself and correct if I`m doing something wrong.

Im not in India im in Serbia.
    The ammount of food was recomended by the breeder :
    300g RC dry = 1066kcal
    300g Chciken or Beef = 717kcal or 750kcal
    300g RC dry = 1066 kcal

Total = 2849kcal/6.5g Ca - This is actually 2.3 g per 1000 kcal and that`s on the low end of the minimum recommended by AKC !
    Can anyone recommend the total values?

I actually found Orijen food in a smaller pet shop, i`ll switch to Orijen Puppy Large and see how it goes.
    Last edited by lastdays; 07-30-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Super Moderator
    The whole idea of this forum is to educate. When I see that someone is overfeeding a pup, and then adding even more calcium to a commercial diet, I worry for the pup. You only have one shot at growing out a puppy...you do that wrong and you can have huge health problems. An adult dog is way more forgiving if a diet is not done right.

In North America we usually measure out our food in cups (for kibble)...one cup of Royal Canine Giant is 341 calories...300 gr. is about 1 1/4 cup of food...that would make it about 380 calories per feeding...not 1066 calories.

Not sure why you are adding a chicken breast?? If you want to add a raw meal...then a chicken back, or chicken wings, or chicken necks would be a much better choice. Then the pup is getting the necessary calcium and getting to crunch on some raw meaty bones.

Orijen is a much better food choice...it's meat dense and you will need to feed less of it. I raised my last pup on Orijen...and never fed her more than 3 cups of food total per day of dry. I would feed her occasionally some canned sardines, an egg, yogurt, and other healthy left overs.

How much does your pup weigh at 4 1/2 months of age?? He should be around 40-50 lbs at this age.

Super Moderator
    Also want to add . Take a look at this website: https://www.monicasegal.com/ Lots of good information on nutrition for dogs. She sells supplements, but has written a few books on dog nutrition. Also take a look at Lew Olson's website.. she breeds and raises Rottweilers...and knows her stuff about dog nutrition also,
    https://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/

Thanks for those links I`ll check them out

Not sure how did you get that math but if Royal Canning Puppy Giant is 3550kcal per 1 Kg than 300gr (0.3Kg) is 1066kcal....

Anyways he weighs 27kilos (59lbs) 12 days before his 5th-month birthday and by European standards that`s a perfect High Average Male

https://en.belpatt.fr/puppy-weight-c...r#&gid=2&pid=1

Super Moderator
    This is right from the Royal Canin website for Giant Puppy food:Calorie Content

This diet contains 3556 kilocalories of metabolizable energy (ME) per kilogram or 341 kilocalories ME per cup on an as fed basis (calculated). Use a 8 oz measuring cup. That's a low calorie food...and if you wanted him to eat 3000 calories per day -minus the chicken breast..you would need to be feeding him at least 6 cups of dry kibble per day to make just over 2000 calories up per day. That's a whole lot of poop!!! LOL

Not sure where you pulled that chart from?? In North America there is no weight standard...for height their is. The dog has to be proportioned. Usually a well bred puppy that comes from standard sized parents...a male pup grows at 3 months 30lb, 4 months 40lbs, 5 months 50lbs,etc. till about 8-9 months and they slow down that heavy growth. If your pup is already almost 60lbs be really careful not to allow him to get overweight or overgrow him. He may have problems in the future with ligaments and bones...the weight does not catch up with the growth of the pup. Females are always a bit less...usually gaining about 7-8 months per month.
    ROTTWEILER
    Since you are in Europe then the FCI standard is used...you can see the weight for the breed .

Good luck with your pup, and if you can get him on Orijen...and get his growth slow and steady it will be the best thing you can do for him.

+ Reply to Thread