Feeding Raw to a puppy Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By petes67bird

Thread: Feeding Raw to a puppy

Feeding Raw to a puppy

Hi Everyone,
    Our Rottweiler passed away a couple months ago at the age of 13 years old. We fed him a raw diet ever since he was 8 weeks old and I think that is what helped a lot in keeping him healthy, active and fit his entire life. He barely had any gray hair at age 13! So we went back to the breeder and she just had a litter Thursday. We have about 2 months now to get ready and plan for our new puppy! The brand we used for food before was Steves Real Food and we fed the 20lbs Prey frozen patties. https://www.stevesrealfood.com/froze...ood/prey-diet/

What pre made Raw is suited for puppy development, should we just start with the Barf raw from Steves? This one? https://www.stevesrealfood.com/froze...meat-dog-food/ Thank you
    Last edited by petes67bird; 08-31-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    Andrea52 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    What is the breeder feeding? Leaving the litter and going to a new home can be stressful...it's always better to feed a pup at least for the first week or two what the breeder was feeding the puppies before they got picked up. After the pup settles in, then change the food over to whatever you feel is best.

Feeding a puppy a prepared raw diet is a good idea. You know it will be balanced. I can't imagine feeding an adult Rottweiler this food though..it would be so expensive!! I would learn how to feed an adult Rottweiler raw....before buying a prepared raw. With puppies, you only have one shot at doing it right...and prepared is good...unless you have someone knowledgeable making up a balanced diet for your pup.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

You might wanna ask the breeder about the food he’s feeding the puppy right now. Although I never fed Steve's Real Food, I usually feed him Primal Pronto Raw Frozen Patties. But I think it’s better to check with a vet and design a complete diet chart for your puppy as at this age they need proper care and nutrition. Connect with a vet, even if it’s online - there are several portals that can help you with this like - greatvet.com, goodvets.com, etc. I have personally used greatvet, in fact, found a vet for my dog there and the experience has been pretty good so far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new pup. I don't know if you were just trying to get the name of the dog food out there but I feed raw and am going to check it out. I need a better back up than cans for emergency.

Always good to hear a Rottie living a good long life.

+ Reply to Thread