Large breed puppy food? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Large breed puppy food?

Large breed puppy food?

Hi all,
    My rotti is almost 10 months. We have been playing with a variety of large breed puppy foods trying to find the "right" one that doesnt give him loose stools etc. Orajen is out, Fromm we like but the pieces are so small literally handfuls fall out of his mouth every meal. I dont think grain-free is the way to go unless your dog has a specific allergy. What does everyone else feed that you are happy with?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Your dog is old enough to be eating a Large Breed Adult food. If you don't like Orijen, try Acana...made by the same company but not as high octane as Orijen. Fromm is good as is Open Farm, Wellness Complete, Canidae, Nulo, Go, etc.
    If you are having problems with loose stools, it may mean that you are feeding too much. Try cutting back by 1/4 cup per meal.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

Veterinarians recommend large and giant dog breeds stay on puppy food for 12-18 months as they dont really reach maturity until about 2 years of age so Ill probably keep him on puppy food for a bit longer. Ill check out some of those brands, thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    To be honest I would never go by what a veterinarian suggest for feeding a dog...unless it's a prescription diet that is needed for health reasons. They usually push Royal Canin, or Science Diet...both crappy grain based foods that they sell.
    Rottweilers will do fine on an Adult Large breed food. If you take a look at Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and Orijen Large Breed Adult...there is very little difference. I've been in the breed for over 25 years...and as long as they grow slow and steady and are not overfed to grow and gain weight too quickly...Adult Large Breed after the main fast growth is fine. Your pup at 10 months is done with his major growth now...he will still grow, and gain weight....but not nearly at the rate before. I know many breeders that start feeding Adult food and recommend it after 6 months or so of age.

What does your breeder say?? They can give you some ideas. The best thing to do is to go to a dog food website. Look up the Large Breed Puppy ingredients and %'s, and Look up the same food in Adult Large Breed....there is very little difference.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

+ Reply to Thread