Meet Rome: 10 Week Old Rottie - Page 2 Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Meet Rome: 10 Week Old Rottie

Super Moderator
    From the first picture it does look like his pasterns are flat. What food are you feeding him? You may need to change his food. Also are all of your floors like that?
    It would be good for him to be walking on sand or soft grass. The sand and grass will help his feet tighten up. Some people also recommend a form of Vitamin C called Ester-C

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I used to feed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy food, I just recently changed his food to the Kirkland Signature puppy food. I feed him twice a day, a fish oil pill in the morning, and a raw egg at night. Maybe I am over feeding him? Not enough exercise?

I live in an apartment with tile and carpet. When we take him out on walks we have concrete floors and grass area. However he does prefer to walk on concrete. We dog go on long walks sometimes up to an hour.

He's adorable!

I would wonder if a 1hr walk is too much for the joints of a growing puppy (I have made this mistake too). Could you split that into more, smaller walks?
    Frieda likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. Rome is so cute. He has quite a tongue on him.

Frieda! You are so nice to post instructions on how to post the pitcures. Seems like every new member runs into the trouble of trying to post pics of the pups. Thanks! We really appreciate that.
    Frieda likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Richxrd View Post
    I used to feed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy food, I just recently changed his food to the Kirkland Signature puppy food. I feed him twice a day, a fish oil pill in the morning, and a raw egg at night. Maybe I am over feeding him? Not enough exercise?

I live in an apartment with tile and carpet. When we take him out on walks we have concrete floors and grass area. However he does prefer to walk on concrete. We dog go on long walks sometimes up to an hour.
    I'm not sure of the protein/calcium/phosphorus levels of the Kirkland Puppy Food? He really should be on a Large Breed food...you may have to switch him to the Adult Kirkland?
    He should be eating 3 times per day at that age...till at least 5-6 months of age...then usually twice per day is fine. If he is getting a fish oil pill...you also need to add vitamin E three times per week. Try to walk him on soft surfaces. It will help to strengthen his feet...sand, soft earth or grass. A one hour walk is too long for such a young pup. Much better to take him on 3 twenty minute walks. Does he have a chance to run around off leash in a fenced area? Just playing fetch and free play is better for a pup, than a forced walk (leashed walk) at this age.

Hi Agis,

Thanks so so much, he is the sweetest boy ever too. I don’t normally take him in hour walks. It’s usually a 30 min but I might have to break down his walking and play time.

Also I thought it be fun to show everyone Rome’s growth on this thread. Ill be posting weekly on his growth! 🙂

10 Weeks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet Rome: 10 Week Old Rottie-bde502df-637e-4eeb-a652-587b234834f4_1585327331151.jpeg   Meet Rome: 10 Week Old Rottie-135f6e68-4acb-4e27-af1a-e5c6fdd46a30_1585327377647.jpeg  
    Agis likes this.

Hi BBD!

Ill take your advice on how long I silly be walking him, and yes usually on carpet he gets to pay with all his chew toys and tug toys. The only time he is in his crate is when I am at work or i cannot supervise him.

I also found the nutritional information on the puppy food. What do you think of this food?

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sign...100354281.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet Rome: 10 Week Old Rottie-ff18bc7d-b71c-4f4a-97da-daa1de9201de_1585327931593.jpg  

Super Moderator
    Just took a look at the food, and I'm not impressed! Way too many peas and beans...and low in calories. If you can only buy dog food at Costco, then get the Puppy Chicken & Rice & Vegetables. It's higher in calories...does have grains...but a nicer food. If you can get to a pet food store, and don't mind paying more...I think one of the best foods is Acana Large Breed Puppy. I raised my last pup on it...good ingredients and good company.

Try to walk with your pup when you are outside off of the sidewalks...and in the grass or sand or soil. It will help to firm up his pasterns. Also, how many vaccinations has your pup have?? I would be a bit worried at 10 weeks of age that you are taking him on walks all over the neighborhood. Rottweilers are really prone to parvo (for some reason black/tan even more then other pups).

I would also sign up for pet insurance. Since you got him at 5 weeks of age...it's a given that he comes from a crap breeder. This breed is so prone to genetic health problems (hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, heart problems -SAS, etc.) You could be facing big vet bills in the future. Best to sign up a pup when they are young...before problems show up.

How many calories should he be eating? I want my puppy to stay relatively lean, and as healthy as possible. I did some research on what ingredients to look for in a dogs food and I might look into feeding him a raw diet. Just for a week or two, just to see how he is doing.

Rome’s up to schedule with his shots DHPP, Deworming, and bordetella. He seems to be doing fine, looks healthy so far but I am concerned about his pasterns.

Have you fed a raw diet before? It can be hard to get the right mix of micronutrients if you're not experienced. There are commercial raw diets. I know there's raw feeding FB groups but I am no longer on FB so can't point you to one in particular.

What do you mean by lean? Rotties as a breed are not going to be AS lean as other dogs. I was really concerned about how many calories to feed Agis, we do weigh his food and just add more as he gets bigger - he hasn't gotten too lean. I would be less concerned in leanness in a puppy than in an adult. If Rome is pooping all the time or has loose stools than I'd think you were feeding him too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast