Missing My Jemma Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Missing My Jemma

Super Moderator

UnhappyMissing My Jemma

It is with a broken heart that I'm posting the news that we had to have Jemma euthanized last week. She lived a good long life for Rottweiler at 11 1/2 years of age. She had been slowing down this summer...but we thought with the hot summer, and her age...it was just a part of growing old.

The vet thinks that she had hemangiosarcoma...and bled out from a splenic tumor. She was fine that morning had her breakfast, and a little walk. Was sleeping on her sofa...and quickly jumped off and wanted to go outside. She seemed to stagger around with her legs stiff, and her head hanging down, I thought maybe she was going to have a seizure. She did not want to come back inside...I finally coaxed her in..she layed down and could not get up. She was panting hard. I had some tramadol which I gave her for pain..after an hour she managed to get up, and drank a full bowl of water. She walked into the living room, where she lay down on the floor, and could not get up.

I called my vet, and because it was after a long weekend, and with this covid-19 crap...they are not allowing owners into the vet clinic..and having to wait in their cars,etc. they were packed with clients. I was told it may be an hour or two wait in the car to be seen. Jemma does not like the vet office, and has always had to be muzzled...not a good patient. I gave her more tramadol...and decided to see if I could get a visit to come to our place. No vets available in our area...sigh. She seemed to have perked up a bit later..but would not eat. I stayed up with her during the night, and did get her to go outside a couple of times.

Next morning got her into another vet clinic...and looking at her big belly..the news was not good. Instead of putting her through stress with tests,etc...we thought it was kinder to euthanize her. This is the first time in 44 years that we are without a dog...the house is so quiet and empty. Jemma was also our last Rottweiler. We are getting older, and handling a big, strong dog...just does not make sense anymore. I guess we will have to start locking our doors?(something I never worried about before).

We are looking into getting a Border Terrier. They are cute, and portable...and have some 'attitude'..which I like..LOL With Covid-19 it will take awhile to get another dog...either a pup, or we are interested in a retired breeding female. We shall see?? It will be 2021 before we will get one. For now, I will enjoy my boarding dogs.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I just messaged you, and THEN saw this. I'm so sorry. RIP Jemma, you will be missed. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your precious Jemma! We have had two dogs bleed out with a splenic tumor and had to be PTS very quickly after diagnosis... and we got to vets within minutes/maybe 1/2 hr. upon noticing a problem. They go so quick and what a heartache to go through and not be able to get a vet diagnosis for so long. I'm so sorry!!!

Covid has been such a bunch of garbage... it has a .04 mortality rate and so much suffering dealing with it, all of this ridiculous over-reaction merely because of a sickness that has a mortality rate no worse than any other flu.... but 100x the hype and media coverage! It has screwed up the economy and everyone's lives to such a serious extent. At this point it seems primarily political.. and while this thing wastes everyones time, other people are suffering because they can't get basic services, like a veterinarian, doctors services... people have had strokes and heart attacks and have died because they were too afraid to go to the hospital during the covid epidemic... this is terrible. Your suffering was part of the collateral damage.

Poor Jemma... she shouldn't have had to suffer... I"m so sorry.

Even when we have had 3 or 4 dogs, when one died the loss was tangible and real... and you'd think... hey, you have 3 other ones... but each dog holds such a personality and a distinct presence in a household. And Rotties have SO MUCH presence!!! I can't even think how I would feel with an entirely empty house and no dogs. I'm so sorry for your loss!

I know you need to mourn, but if you are without a dog, you need to find one soon. I am in the same boat as you, when we get another bigger dog we will downsize, but my thoughts range to a small boxer. I still miss Flash the little boxer we adopted many years ago. He was such a joyful dog. (Small being 40-50 lbs... yeah, when you own 80-140 lb. dogs, 40-50 is small.)

I watch our Chihuahua age and worry. He is between 17 and 18 y.o. and he had a mini stroke last February. They never live long enough! He grew on us... because he was an accidental acquisition... we never thought of ourselves as small dog people and then we got him for my MIL and when she didn't want him, he managed to fit into our household and now.... I can't begin to think what I would do without him. (We call him "the best present Tom's mom has ever given us.") The neighbor in our business condo complex has a female chihuahua and when Bill (who is neutered) sees her he poofs up and becomes a much larger Chihuahua... it's adorable to see him square his chest and strut around little Chula who is a small purebred very feminine white long haired Chi. Bill is not a purebred, we think he has mini-pin in him, but he looks primarily like a bigger Chi. I have to say... if something happened to him I would be devastated and I would go right out and look for another 10 lb. dog to cuddle and enjoy... although I might get an older Chi from Frosted Faces or another rescue specializing in older dogs. It is one of my joys in life to watch TV with Bill on my lap or drive in my car with him in my lap. I love hearing him snore in my office when I'm working too. Ah, the small joys in life! Thank God for dogs!
    BBD You really need to get another dog in your life to help you heal. No words any of us can say will help, but some fur in the face and a warm breath of a sweet dog will help a lot.
    Last edited by Steph King; 08-12-2020 at 01:13 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Thank you so much for your condolences. I really would like another dog...we've always had 2 or even 3 dogs at a time...but because when we lost Baxter, Jemma was already 6, and not wanting to put up with puppy nonsense, we left it at one dog. Now with Covid-19, everyone and his uncle wants a dog...there are no dogs to adopt, and breeders have been inundated with requests for puppies. Our local shelter is shipping dogs from the reserves from up north...most of them are husky mixes. I don't want a husky mix. We will just have to wait and be patient for the right dog for us. I've volunteered for too many years to see what impulse buying/adoptions can do.

Jemma did not suffer...luckily I had a good supply of tramadol and I made sure she was comfortable. Trying to get a 90+lb dog that cannot walk into a car for seniors is not easy, and living in a rural area...our choice of vets is small. Between Covid-19, vets on holidays, and our own vet out on medical leave...it made things difficult.

I'm not sure if I'm up to a tiny dog...like a chi....but I do want to do barn hunt, earth dog, lure racing and other fun things with our next dog.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

The right dog will come at the right time. It seems like that so often with friends of mine when they lose dogs and get new ones.

Yeah, I never thought in a million years I would be owning a Chi! (My prior experiences with them were primarily negative.) Now I'm addicted to that little cuddle bomb. You know, BBD, dogs (and horses) tend to be like their owners... if you are mellow and no nonsense they get more that way than high strung and silly. Sometimes it's a work in progress, sometimes it's immediate...

+ Reply to Thread