Considering A Rottie Mix Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Considering A Rottie Mix

Considering A Rottie Mix

Hi! My name is Kara and I am considering adding a Rottie mix to my family. I have an 8-year-old Border Collie mix (brain-damaged rescue dog) and have a friend with a litter of Rottie mix pups. No, I'm not considering adopting because it's my friend. I've been looking into adding a second dog for some time now.

I've fostered pups in the past and my dog has been very open so long as they are pups and he can groom them. He actually treats them like babies. I'm not worried at all about a puppy annoying him-- I'm actually far more worried about him annoying a puppy! He is a true herding dog-- very high drive and downright obsessive. A real micro-manager! He's also CGC certified and a huge baby. I'm just wondering if a Rottie mix would fit in well with him. He's quite used to being the only dog and can be a bit dominant. He's not mean (I don't actually think he knows he has teeth) but he is quite opinionated! Are there Rotties out there who would be alright with a slightly brain damaged big brother who might be a bit obsessive about them?

We're very active (we camp and hike a lot as well as just walk) and I'm a huge fan of obedience work. I'm a proactive dog "owner" and love big dogs. What I am not is heavy handed. I am firm with my dog but he also sleeps in my bed and my living room looks like the toy section of a Petco exploded! I have no problem laying down the law when it is needed but would be lying if I said I was harsh. I have read that Rotties require a different sort of training than I am familiar with. I am the "alpha" in the home but it is a benevolent dictatorship! Would that fit with a Rottie mix?

I don't expect a dog (especially a mix) to conform to everything I've read about the breed or experienced. I'm looking for a good, solid companion dog who might enjoy obedience work and maybe even dog sports. My current dog is too brain-damaged and high strung for the chaos that dog sports offer and I would love a dog that might enjoy that sort of thing. It's totally fine if he (or she) doesn't go for that, though! A solid companion dog matters far more to me than anything else!

The father of these pups is a Rottie. Mom is a Shepherd/Border Collie mix with maybe a dash of Pit thrown in. Most dogs around here have at least a dash. They are both extremely smart and very, very sweet. They will be big dogs (Dad will put his paws on your shoulders and lick you in the face) but like I said, I like big dogs. I'm familiar with Shepherd mixes (my parents have one) and even Pit mixes (I had one until my parents "stole" him from me). I have also shared my home with a BC mix for the last 5 years. I'm not as familiar with Rotties. I've read a bunch but that doesn't really count!

I'm not married and I don't have kids, although I do plan on having both a husband and kids in the lifespan of this dog if life works out that way. Right now it's just me and my dog. I do work with kids so a dog that it tolerant of kids is a plus, but I understand and accept that not all dogs adore kids, especially kids like the ones I work with who don't always understand how to treat a dog nicely! I have the time to devote to a pup (I work close to home and come home at lunch) and have fostered a bunch in the past so I'm ready for housebreaking (as much as you can be ready for that!) and puppy behaviors. My dog strongly prefers puppies to adult dogs (maybe because adult dogs object to being licked from head to toe multiple times a day?) which is one of the reasons these pups appeal so strongly to me. In all, does our little family sound like a good setup for a Rottie mix?

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by LaneyKate2005; 01-29-2014 at 12:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Reading this post I think you would be a good owner for a Rott or mix!
    Audrey
    AKC CH Darkstarr's Heart and Soul aka Panzer
    AKC CH Queen Vom Vollenhaus BH(2006-2013 RIP)
    Dani von der Donnerbrucke BH CGC
    Thor von Eisenhart BH CGC Godspeed and RIP
    Cimaron 6/01/1996-8/08/2007

I think you would do fine with a rottie (mix) pup, too. Then your new pup would grow up with your present dog. I would suggest a female since your present dog is male to reduce possible source of friction as the puppy matures. Post some pictures

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!

Considering A Rottie Mix-brotherbear2.jpg

This is the pup that I've had my eye on. But at this point I don't really know their personalities so I can't choose for sure!

All the pups are sable like this, but Dad is definitely a Rott and is the only male Mom has been around. Mom is black with a white chest-- looks like a shorter-haired Border Collie. Mixed breed dogs sure can come out looking like anything!

It will be fun walking a Lab-looking dog and a Shepherd-ish looking dog and telling people that they are both Border Collie mixes and that the brown one is half Rottie!

nice color. it's a very mastiff-ish/GSD-ish look.

if it has rott, gsd, and border collie, he could grow up to be a smart guy and very capable working dog.

I'm rather hoping so. I would love to train up a dog for some sort of activity. I'll have to poke around the forum and see if I can't get some ideas on here!

First off, the fact that you are considering adoption is AWESOME! YAY you! I have always got my Rotties from rescue...and I really do think they know that you rescued them! Second, what a beautiful puppy!!! Rotties are very intelligent dogs, even if a mix, they still have that Rottie intelligence. Most breeders/rescues do not let you pick pups out until they are around 7 weeks old for that is usually when their personalities begin to emerge. When I got my girl Shyloh, I had been on the waiting list for a rescue of any age for quite sometime. I have other dogs and a cat so it's tricky placing an adult dog in my home. But, luckily, a dam and her newborn pups came into rescue custody...and I was first in line for a pup. The sire also came with them along with both AKC registrations for parents...talk about luck! I could not pick the pup out until they were around 7 weeks old. Most breeders will take deposits but actual selection begins around the age mentioned. And it would be in YOUR best interest to wait. If they want you to pick out a pup right away...I would raise an eyebrow and do some serious research first. Anyway, I think for what you want to do, that pups mix would be a wonderful one. All very intelligent breeds...and with intelligent breeds mental stimulation is a MUST or you begin to have unwanted behaviors.

What an awesome opportunity you have! Go for it and keep us posted on how things are going with your new pup!!!
    Last edited by Skullzz; 02-12-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Thanks for the info! The lady caring for the mama dog has been excellent. I've been able to meet with the litter multiple times to see how they've been growing but I haven't had to choose one yet. That'll happen when they're about six weeks old (just because of her schedule). Then I'll be able to spend more time with the pup of my choice until he or she is able to come home. They're shaping up to be awesome dogs. I still have a thing for the one in the picture. He's one of the most people-oriented in the litter and in the middle of the puppy pecking order.

The rescuer found mama dog wandering the streets. She brought her in and saw a mark on her belly that looked like a spay scar so she let mama around her Rottie. Dogs being dogs, mama ended up pregnant in the blink of an eye. All the pups are going to good homes (I've met some of the other families) and mama dog is getting spayed.

Considering A Rottie Mix-2014-02-10_18-07-36_872.jpg

I would love to know how a Rottie and a BC/GSD mix popped out all these sable pups. Mama dog has to be hiding something somewhere! Eight of ten look like little GSDs. One is solid black and one is solid chocolate. Maybe some Lab in there, but how do two mostly black dogs pop out sables?! It doesn't matter what they look like but I sure am curious!
    Sheera'smom likes this.

There is nothing wrong with owning a mix. Too many people out there show anger toward mixed breeds but some mixed breeds end up being great family pets.
    Find rottweiler puppies for sale at rottweiler-puppies-for-sale.com

I agree, infact in my experience mix breeds are much healthier and easier to keep. The chinese village dog is basically a mix breed. All the dogs cross bred and they end up looking like the same, just some are larger and some have short legs.

Good luck with your new puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by rottpups4sale View Post
    There is nothing wrong with owning a mix. Too many people out there show anger toward mixed breeds but some mixed breeds end up being great family pets.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast