Can you raise a happy rottweiler outdoors? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Can you raise a happy rottweiler outdoors?

Can you raise a happy rottweiler outdoors?

UPDATE: My husband asked our landlord again about bringing Rose inside and he is actually considering it! He is letting us know his decision this weekend. I am hopeful he will say yes, but I will need lots of help in how to start working with her inside with three young children!

I'm sure this will get frowned upon, but before I begin just know I'd rather have her inside...landlord won't allow it.
    We got Rose at 3 months old and started her out sleeping in the garage. She now has free range in our fenced in back yard, and that is where she sleeps. However, she's not happy there. Of course when I go out with her she is a jumpy, excited, hyper mess. I know it is because she is not able to be with her people 24/7. Had I known how her personality was before we got her, I wouldn't have let me husband get her. Rose is supposed to be my husband's dog, our family pet. Then he took an over the road trucking job, so she is solely my responsibility now. She is getting very big however, and now at almost 6 months old-her size and jumping, nipping, and mouthing is starting to get painful. When I play with her, she is very aggressive when trying to take her favorite toys from me (we play fetch, but she has a couple favorites she will not "drop" for me to throw) Every time I turn to leave her, she will grab (yes put her paws around my legs) and bite at me to stay. Rose is extremely rough with the children, jumping at them and knocking them down. I've had a trainer come out who apparently didn't have a clue what she was doing. The only other trainer near me charged double what the other did and at the moment, I honestly can't afford her. But my real question is, will any amount of training change her if she is unhappy outside?? Can I raise a happy, mannerly pup outdoors? I do not want to ruin her if not. If we could convince our landlord to let us keep her inside I would love that, but he's expressed his thoughts on that already. The last renters let their dogs destroy all the flooring inside and more. Just looking for thoughts or advice. I would love to hear that someone is raising and outdoor rottie! Thanks
    Last edited by RottieRose; 07-07-2016 at 04:48 AM.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Why don't you try to convince again your landlord and the next time your landlord agree buy a crate for your dog and go for a training program to teach your pup a proper behavior. I know if you do that progress your dog will never do the same things before that trigger the landlord to disagree. Just be patience training program is one of a good step to change her behavior.
    Stay Cool

She's 6 months old, a teenager, and really needs exercise, mental stimulation and training. Rotties are very tightly bound emotionally to their family. Keeping her separated from you doesn't help her attitude. I don't know what to tell you except that both of you get some training ASAP. Try to work with your landlord about getting a crate for indoors.

Otherwise maybe you should re-home her before somebody gets hurt and you have to put her down.

I'm sorry. Please keep us posted!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Sheera'smom- That is exactly what I am afraid of, my husband seems to think it will just "go away" and she'll learn to live outdoors. I know better.
    Jane-I'm going to offer a large pet deposit once my husband's pay starts coming in and hope that he will allow it. We already have the large crate, just need him to say yes.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

A you said it yourself,it will not go away.You are raising by now an unmannered , bully rottweiler .Find some training classes outside your fenced yard ,work and teach that dog the things that are expeceted from him ,e,g:basic manners ,following on a leash ,sit, stay, and so many more things you can do with your dog.Just being around you,in or outside, does not satisfy the needs of a young energetic dog .A young dog needs so much more, and you as a responsible owner are moraly obliged to forfill this needs . Just feeding and giving a home to a dog is not what makes someone a responsible dog owner .It is a start.Find classes and work that dog,it will make the contact with your dog so much more intense to the pleasure of both.
    Please, do not see this answer as rude or harsh, that is not what it is meant to be .Sometimes it is necessary to say things without sugarcoating to the benefit of all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by RottieRose View Post
    UPDATE: My husband asked our landlord again about bringing Rose inside and he is actually considering it! He is letting us know his decision this weekend. I am hopeful he will say yes, but I will need lots of help in how to start working with her inside with three young children!

I'm sure this will get frowned upon, but before I begin just know I'd rather have her inside...landlord won't allow it.
    We got Rose at 3 months old and started her out sleeping in the garage. She now has free range in our fenced in back yard, and that is where she sleeps. However, she's not happy there. Of course when I go out with her she is a jumpy, excited, hyper mess. I know it is because she is not able to be with her people 24/7. Had I known how her personality was before we got her, I wouldn't have let me husband get her. Rose is supposed to be my husband's dog, our family pet. Then he took an over the road trucking job, so she is solely my responsibility now. She is getting very big however, and now at almost 6 months old-her size and jumping, nipping, and mouthing is starting to get painful. When I play with her, she is very aggressive when trying to take her favorite toys from me (we play fetch, but she has a couple favorites she will not "drop" for me to throw) Every time I turn to leave her, she will grab (yes put her paws around my legs) and bite at me to stay. Rose is extremely rough with the children, jumping at them and knocking them down. I've had a trainer come out who apparently didn't have a clue what she was doing. The only other trainer near me charged double what the other did and at the moment, I honestly can't afford her. But my real question is, will any amount of training change her if she is unhappy outside?? Can I raise a happy, mannerly pup outdoors? I do not want to ruin her if not. If we could convince our landlord to let us keep her inside I would love that, but he's expressed his thoughts on that already. The last renters let their dogs destroy all the flooring inside and more. Just looking for thoughts or advice. I would love to hear that someone is raising and outdoor rottie! Thanks
    Hope this works out for you!! Remember that she will need lots of training...I recently was recommended dog training book , "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor, which you may find helpful. The first edition was very inexpensive on Amazon. Good luck!!!

Kastaar: No offense taken at all! I completely agree. We work with her outdoors (not in her fenced yard), she is doing well with sit, stay, come, she will fetch and run with my 4 year old son--I'm actually surprised at how well they are bonding as she is a bully with me! She has stopped jumping so often but still a long road ahead. She will nip at our hands when we try to throw her toys sometimes, and she still nips at me whenever she feels like it. I am still awaiting landlord's response and have someone who is willing to help me with training. Thanks for your response.

Sheeras mom: My landlord said he'd give us an answer this past weekend, but we have not heard from him . My husband is calling him today. I know bringing Rose inside isn't a "fix all" but I will be able to work with her so much more, and she will feel part of the family at least. Thank you!
    Sheera'smom likes this.

We took on a 3 year old rescue which was a handful with aggression but with the help of a trainer she is a lot better but not perfect & is a work in progress, so get a trainer & I am sure you will reap the benefits.

How's your doggy now?
    Stay Cool

We just made an agreement to start renting to own our house, so starting August 1 we can bring Rose inside! I am going to create a new post on the Training and Behavior forum if that is allowed. Just need as much feed back as possible on how to move forward with her inside with our children.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast