New pup Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New pup

New pup

We have a female (Roxie) Rottie that has only once or twice in her 8 years of life shown any aggression and that was towards strange dogs that came on our property.

We brought "Sarge" our 8 week old Rottie pup home last night and Roxie has been tolerable at best.

I was petting Roxie this morning and the pup came up and wanted to join in amd get some lovin and Roxie went off on him.

She didnt bite him and she could have picked him up in her mouth. But she growled and gave two aggresive barks rights in his face and scared the poor little fella to death.

Roxie was raised with a Sheltie(passed away 2 yeats ago) and a cat ( she passed 2 months ago) and she plays with all dogs she comes in contact with.

The breeder said her (Roxie)maternal side should eventually kick in and she would treat it as her own and the puppy would take on some Roxie's personality which would be awesome.

I would hate to have to return this awesome little guy if they cant get along???????

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I was searching this topic and I guess Roxie was just letting the little guy know who was the boss. It just freaked me out because as I mentioned Roxie is 8 years old and we adopted her as a pup and I have only seen that type of aggression from her twice. I fussed at Roxie and swatted her on the butt when it happened and now I feel bad because Roxie could have killed the pup with one chomp because he was at her feet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pup-20160630_191914.jpg   New pup-img_1984.jpg  
    Last edited by Rbohno; 07-01-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Just take it slow. Of course Roxie snapped at him, he is invading her space. I know what I do with new pups, but up to you what you are comfortable with. I keep them separated for a year. Lassie is a year old and is still in rotation. But, I have a very grouchy 11 year old that will not tolerate her. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't .
    Sheera'smom likes this.
    Audrey
    AKC CH Darkstarr's Heart and Soul aka Panzer
    AKC CH Queen Vom Vollenhaus BH(2006-2013 RIP)
    Dani von der Donnerbrucke BH CGC
    Thor von Eisenhart BH CGC Godspeed and RIP
    Cimaron 6/01/1996-8/08/2007

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

It takes time for a dog to get used to a new pup in the family. Give it a time.
    Sheera'smom likes this.
    Stay Cool

The older dog will be showing the pup who is number 1 more than likely.

You guys are right, yesterday Roxie let Sarge take her toy out from under her paw 2 or 3 times then the last time he tried she let him him know it was her toy. She didnt touch him but she scared the heck out of him. He came over and layed down for a while like he was in trouble

Then a major break through last night, they actually chased each other around the pool table and played.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

A good idea to have separate areas for them to relax in. Especially for Sarge so that Roxie gets a break

Yeah, we have been doing that but Roxie's favorite place in the house to relax is our stairwell landing because she can lay there with her head resting on the large window sill and look out into the back and into the woods. The stairs and upstairs is the only areas in the house with carpet and it is new so we dont want Sarge on the stairs to snoop around Roxie and we dont want any potty accidents on new carpet.

To mitigate that situation we let Roxie up there and then put up a child gate to keep Sarge out, then Roxie looks at us "Like what did I do wrong".

Its strange because Roxie is so gentle she has only barked at Sarge twice in 5 days, if she is laying down and he comes up she will tolerate a little interaction but most of the time she just gets up and moves. Roxie LOVES dinner time and Sarge (slipped away from me) ran up to her bowl while Roxie was eating and she just stood there and lifted her head and was going to let him eat (I quickly grabbed him up and we went outside to let her finish).
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Man puppy days/nights are tough when you are an old fart.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Do you have any news about your dog now?
    Stay Cool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast