Puppy crying/screaming/yodeling when crated at night Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Puppy crying/screaming/yodeling when crated at night

Puppy crying/screaming/yodeling when crated at night

How long is this little fellow going to keep crying for 30 minutes or more when crated for the night?

* We have covered the crate
    * He likes the crate as he will go in there to take naps during the day
    * He has toys and an article of each of our clothing in there
    * We brought him home the eve of his 8 week old birthday (6/30/16)

So this has been going on for 5 nights, any guesses on how long this will last?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Don't know how long will it takes unless you train him! I know there's a crate training program that will help to improve behaviour of our dog inside the crate.
    Stay Cool

Yeah, been following that exactly and he cried for 1 hr and 20 minutes tonight

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

How is it going now? We've always had our dogs sleep in our room, not in our bed.....on purpose anyway

It was better last night, I put him in his kennel for short periods during the day yesterday and when he would start crying I would say no. Then when he would go 5 minutes or more in silence I would let him out.

We even put him in his kennel while we had dinner and had to tell him no a couple of times but then he went to sleep so that was really good.

So last night was the best night so far, 30 - 45 minutes of crying. Hopefully tonight will be even better.

Thank You for checking in on Sarge

where is the crate?

We have always kept our crate in our bedroom when we've had puppies or newbie dogs in our household. We haven't had a puppy in years but I don't ever remember any crying or screaming, nothing more than a few wimpers. If they are near to you - even if in a crate - they settle down and sleep peacefully. Having a crate in our bedroom was hard when we've had to do it (barely room to walk by it) but it reassures the dogs that we are nearby. Puppies aren't ready to be utterly alone... they were always with their mom and sibs for most of their lives.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Hey Steph,

Thanks for the feedback he has finally stopped the crying. I started putting him in his crate for 30 minutes at a time and then getting him out. He started just going in there and sleeping after a few times like that.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
    Hey Steph,

Thanks for the feedback he has finally stopped the crying. I started putting him in his crate for 30 minutes at a time and then getting him out. He started just going in there and sleeping after a few times like that.
    That was a good news to us Congrats i'm happy for you just keep it up okay
    Stay Cool

Hey Jane

I can confidently say he is crate trained for the most part and time frame was 10 -14 days. He will rarely go in on his own but now I can put him in there at any time day or night and close the door and he will just laay there and watch whats going on and then take a nap.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Oh man! those first few weeks with a noob puppy are horrible. They just want to be with the "Pack". Glad you are sorting it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast