New puppy Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New puppy

Hi guys I’m looking into getting my first Rottweiler puppy I’ve had red setter golden retriever and a border collie before
    I now have a wife and two eight year old girls I’m sure I can put in the work in on training My question is where do I go to find a good breeder as I’ve looked on sites and I’m amazed that the sellers don’t seem to check out who they are selling to
    Puppies seem to sell within hours of being advertised
    I would consider re-homing A young Rottweiler but again not sure on what to look for and whether or not just getting a puppy would be best for my family as I know then how he or she has been brought up any advice welcome
    We are in Cambridgeshire in the UK
    Last edited by Moley63; 05-14-2020 at 09:16 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums! The best place to start is your national Rottweiler club. That would be : www.rottweilerclub.co.uk There you should find information on where to find local ethical breeders. Also
    www.thekennelclub.org.uk When things start to improve with the virus and things open up...dog shows and dog obedience trials are also a good place to meet breeders, and people that are involved with the breed.

Most people have it the wrong way around...first you need to find and ethical breeder that does everything right...then you wait for a puppy from this breeder. Good breeders usually have a waiting
    list for a puppy...they don't breed often. Find the breeder .

Thank you for the info

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

A few months ago me and my younger sister decided on getting a rottweiler for us, after a lot of research we got a good list of breeders from https://dogbreedo.com/rottweiler-price-in-india/.
    We've found a perfect fit for our family and we've named her owaisi, having a dog is a feeling which cannot be described in words.
    Last edited by Jenn3012; 09-08-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Incomplete comment submitted mistakenly

I would not suggest adopting a full grown Rottweiler. That is a hit or miss type of process that depends on the dog's prior experiences and since you have small children I would not do that. If a dog is not raised with children you cannot know if they see them initially as family members or prey. Some Rotties have high small prey instincts. Very few, but still, not worth taking a chance with small children. If your children were in their teens it might be possible and I wouldn't rule it out in the future. There are not enough good homes for homeless dogs, especially breeds like Rotties with people with Rott experience (it is very rewarding). Also, once you have more experience with the breed, adoption would go smoother in terms of expectations and training.

As the dog matures you quite possibly will see herding instinct pop up, and your dog may consider your children part of her protective herd that he/she has to manage and keep safe. This is not to be mistaken with aggression but protection and love of the children. Rottweilers are very loving.

Welcome to the world of Rottwilers, our favorite dog breed. I can't give you much advice on puppies as my husband and I have primarily adopted Rotts over the years, but BBD is our resident expert on pups and there are some other puppy experts that can give you advice. I can say, that despite getting a well bred Rottie whose health is assured to be good (good hips, heart etc.) I would still recommend pet insurance for any unforseen health issues in the future. We have a high deductible insurance that starts paying after the first $1,000 as we can handle that, but when a dog has surgery or cancer treatment the bills can get astronomical. We had a dog who accrued over $20,000 in treatment for cancer including radiation and lived two-three healthy happy years after treatment, so insurance was quite helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted. We all love to see puppy pictures!

+ Reply to Thread