Why we use a collar Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Agis
  • 2 Post By Frieda
  • 2 Post By big black dogs
  • 1 Post By Frieda

Thread: Why we use a collar

Why we use a collar

After noticing how much Agis pulled on his walking harness, we moved to using either a martingale or prong, depending on the situation.

I want him to pull in his hiking harness, because eventually we'll be running/skijoring in that harness.

Took the boys for a hike today and Agis was attached to my waist.

He weighs what my last GSD (mix likely as he was only 50lbs, down from 70lbs when I adopted him) did. But is WAY younger and stronger.

Wow! Can he pull!

Thank goodness we don't use that in the city. Gotta work on the 'whoa' command (we've started it).

Rotties are STRONG! And he's just a mix!
    big black dogs and Frieda like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I tip my hat to all of your energy and conditioning. I’m tired just reading about this adventure

Freyja learned “whoa” just from hearing me say “whoa” to the horses. I realized that when I put her orange safety vest on, to go to the barn every night.

It’s easy to see the dogs in those reflective vests when they get a distance from the barn. They both also know what “I can see you” means, lollol

Agis will learn quickly
    Last edited by Frieda; 05-17-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    big black dogs and Agis like this.

Super Moderator
    It's funny how they learn what equipment is on them, on how to behave. When I put Jemma's tracking harness on..she knows she is allowed to pull and walk ahead of me. When she has her slip lead on for walking...she knows she has to stay close to my left side. When she is off lead, and allowed to sniff and wander, she stays close by....but is allowed to lag. One whistle and she comes back close. That is years of training though....lol

Some of the no pull harnesses seem to help dogs walk better...I do like them better than the gentle leaders that go around their faces. All of the tools that are used are just tools. Training takes time...and the longer a dog is allowed to pull the more that habit becomes ingrained.

Often the dogs that I had for foster were "professional pullers"....likely why they were given up to rescue. If an owner cannot walk a dog, they have too much excess energy...and become destructive. Off to the backyard they were dumped, or put into a crate for 20 hours a day...not a good thing for a Rottweiler.
    Often the only thing I could walk them on was a prong that was placed properly...that seemed to do the trick...to get them out of the pulling habit.
    Frieda and Agis like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    It's funny how they learn what equipment is on them, on how to behave. When I put Jemma's tracking harness on..she knows she is allowed to pull and walk ahead of me. When she has her slip lead on for walking...she knows she has to stay close to my left side. When she is off lead, and allowed to sniff and wander, she stays close by....but is allowed to lag. One whistle and she comes back close. That is years of training though....lol

Some of the no pull harnesses seem to help dogs walk better...I do like them better than the gentle leaders that go around their faces. All of the tools that are used are just tools. Training takes time...and the longer a dog is allowed to pull the more that habit becomes ingrained.

Often the dogs that I had for foster were "professional pullers"....likely why they were given up to rescue. If an owner cannot walk a dog, they have too much excess energy...and become destructive. Off to the backyard they were dumped, or put into a crate for 20 hours a day...not a good thing for a Rottweiler.
    Often the only thing I could walk them on was a prong that was placed properly...that seemed to do the trick...to get them out of the pulling habit.
    Relegated to the back yard or massive hours of crating breaks my heart. It happens frequently and I personally know of two instances.

1. A beautifully bred Rottweiler who ended up on a chain in the backyard ONLY because they had a baby and decided the dog shouldn’t be in the house. The MIL tried her darndest to get custody of the dog but the kids would not give him up. He lived about 9? Years and was poisoned by a neighbor

2. A Mastiff, also well bred and also relegated to a kennel when the baby was born. She managed to escape the kennel and ran away, never to be found

In similar fashion one of my horses is onery and likes to test. He has been with me 24 of his 26 years. He is the type of horse who loves to intimidate and is not for a beginner or someone who is timid.

It took a lot of training and patience on my part to turn him into a good citizen.

These days, a lot of the time the farrier trims his hooves without a halter on him. It tickles her that she can go in the paddock, point to the barn, say “Rusty get in the barn”, and he goes.

Even though he is one tough & steady trail horse, this fella would have likely gone to slaughter auction because of his smart Alec- conniving ways. Some of which also turned out to be food sensitivities

Meaning, to BBD’s point, it takes patience and a lot of training to turn any dog into a good citizen
    Last edited by Frieda; 05-17-2020 at 11:37 PM.
    Agis likes this.

+ Reply to Thread