Excercise for puppies? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Excercise for puppies?

Excercise for puppies?

How often/ for how long should I walk my 8 week old puppy?
    Should he run when he's this young? (we live on a farm)
    Does anyone know other good excercises for this age?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I would do short walks at this age (I've heard 5 min/month of age, though that seems very little) and no forced exercise - so if he runs on his own, that's fine, in the yard, but don't go running with him, if that makes sense.

Tugging is great (leather rag is a fave here) as a low-impact exercise.

Agis is a mix and WAY smaller as a older teenager than a Rottie would be, so we were a bit more forward with 'forced' exercise (even though often we were holding him back), but for a pure Rottie...I would've been more cautious. Other folk will have good advice.

Thanks, Agis. One more question, if I may? Any recommendations for a crate? Gonna have to be a huge one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I'm honestly not sure how big a crate a full-grown Rottie would need. But - if you do want to just buy one, get a divider with it so you can make it smaller when he's younger (too much space and they'll mess in one section of it).

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums! At 8 weeks of age....your puppy will sleep a lot. They usually just need to run around and explore for short intervals...and sleep. If you notice that he is getting crazy with biting...they usually need a nap. The crate should be the extra large (with a divider)...or just get a smaller one for now, and then buy a bigger one once he has outgrown it. The Great Dane size is a bit too big for a Rottweiler and takes up so much space.

For a puppy I've always had a smaller one for our bedroom, and a bit bigger one for downstairs. For the car for puppy travel I just used the smaller crate...till pup was big enough for a harness and seat belt. The goal for me is always to crate train so they housebreak quickly....but by about a year or 18 months the goal is no crates. It depends on the pup, and how much training and time you put into it.

Have you ever had a Rottweiler before?? I suggest that you get signed up for Puppy Kindergarten classes, and continue with classes for the next year or more.

I forgot, and just want to add...get puppy used to a collar and a leash right away. An 8 week old pup usually will follow well ..but will enjoy going for 2-3 short explore walks per day. 10-15 minutes is long enough with lots of stops and starts.
    Last edited by big black dogs; 10-17-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

+ Reply to Thread