Poor Agis Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poor Agis

Poor Agis

I took Agis to the cabins we spend time at in winters this weekend. Just me and him. (I got up there and saw no essential travel from red zones; well, I was already there).

He had fun running (he weighs around 50lbs and has for the last 5 months) so we've already started). We got up around 3pm on Friday, unpacked, and went for a run on the nearby side road.

Saturday we went running on a backpacking trail, which was fine until I got distracted by an oncoming backpacker, went over on my already sketchy ankle and heard a crack/pop (I have a history of ankle sprains). Walked out, it loosened up, only to get stiff later. I went into a nearby community and bought an ankle sleeve and an ice pack.

He was being so good too, leading (attached to my waist) but not overly pulling. He was good on the hike out too.

However - he didn't want to cross the bridge at the river, and was noticeably upset. Friday night I had to lead him to his food and encourage him to eat (and drink). Friday I had to carry him into the bedroom and Saturday morning I carried him out. Sunday morning after much to-ing and fro-ing he jumped down on his own.

He's been to these cabins before!

But this was his first time being away from the other dogs. Since I'll backpack with just him sometimes, and do winter camping with just him, it was a good lesson I suppose? I felt terrible how he seemed to be so unsure. I tried luring behaviour I wanted with treats, and to keep up with training, but he was too scattered. Had a blast whenever we were outside though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Poor Agis, poor you!! That ankle looks sore. I guess you are going to have to take Agis on his own, and hope that he gets more comfortable.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I think we'll keep taking him on his own. I wanted to backpack the last weekend in November, but with my ankle...probably a dumb idea. It's healing quite fast, which is a relief, having heard a crack/pop. Luckily I know what to do from all the previous times I've done it haha! Ugh. He'll learn eventually.

He went in for his annual yesterday (we're a few days away from his adoptaversary!) and had a great check up. Some barely there mild tartar. We'd stopped brushing his teeth so we'll start again. His body condition score is perfect (a 3; though I really prefer a 2.5, but he's enough Rottie that I don't think we'll get there). Everything else was normal and fine, he had his rabies and DAPP (he only got a one year rabies last year because he was a puppy? Done at the shelter), and he'll get his lepto in December/January - our vet prefers to split them up because lepto is more likely to cause adverse effects. Our vet is actually a friend of ours (well, she's one of the vets at the practice, and they're all fantastic) so it was nice she took him.

We did talk about his car sickness - he threw up going up north, drools on short rides, on the way back last weekend I just didn't feed him so he drooled but didn't puke. He's always been a puker. I had hoped he'd grow out of it - Neb did - but he's 16 months now and I think this is it. We've tried children's gravol a few years ago when Neb was sick and we were hours from home and Toby was on course at a 50 miler (his first ultramarathon) and it didn't do much. Our vet tech said it generally doesn't hit all 4 centers that cause dog nausea, that cerenia would be better - but then our vet said, it's $80 for four bills, do you want to try the gravol on Agis first? I said yes. We'll see how it helps!

Super Moderator
    Wonderful to hear that he is doing well, and had a good check-up. Car sickness is not fun...common enough in puppies. Have you tried the Ginger Gravol for him? I had a few customers that used it for their dogs in the car, and it seemed to work. Also with regular Gravol...try giving him a bigger dose than the children's. Half of an adult pill, or even a full adult dose would be fine. Need to give it half an hour before travel.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

That's a good idea about the ginger gravol! Our vet told us 1hr before the car.

Poor guy. I really had hoped he'd outgrow it but a month ago maybe I drove Agis to see Toby at the store (didn't want to TTC it with COVID) and it was 10k of slow driving and he puked. Poor guy.

+ Reply to Thread