Winter coats; where can I get the one I want? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter coats; where can I get the one I want?

Winter coats; where can I get the one I want?

I have finally gotten to a place that I can stand to have another dog. It's been two years and my loneliness for a canine companion has overcome my grief for the best dog I have ever had; except this time I do not have a cold weather dog. TJ is a boxer/wiener dog mix and let me tell you that getting a puppy (little, little puppy) in the winter is hard. She is cold all the time, she is fearless all the time and for the first time in my life I am on the verge of spoiling a dog.
    Speaking of spoiling, I need to get her a new coat that covers her tummy, fits close on her butt and has a collar. I have bought and discarded many coats that have some but now all of these traits and as she grows I need to be able to buy the same coat more then once until about April cause I live where it's winter six months out of the year.
    We have started training so I don't want to be distracted by her shivering. She is now almost four months old

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I like Ruffwear gear - but it's expensive. I'm not sure how long she is so this may not work, but Muttluk makes a snowsuit for dogs.

Super Moderator
    Glad that you added another dog to your family! TJ sounds like a very interesting mix. How much does she weigh right now?? Dog coats are hard to fit...on a growing pup.
    I've had the best luck using dog sweaters, or dog coats made from fleece. I always have some in size small for smaller boarding dogs, so they can stay outside and play a bit longer before starting to shiver .

Can you take her to the petfood store and see what fits her best? and what is the easiest to put on and take off? You can also try Amazon...there are some good buys on there also.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

She is about 15lbs and will grow, I think, about 20 more before she's done. I will be looking at ruffgear and I believe a medium will do her til spring. We have only had one snowstorm, but the way she shivers and sleeps directly in front of the heater makes me want to get her something good. Petsmart and Amazon don't seem to have all the things I am looking for

Are you sure about the sizing? Agis is 52lbs ish and wear a medium in Ruffwear (for harnesses, anyways).

Super Moderator
    See if you can find a sweater for her instead of a coat. The sweater she can wear inside if needed and outside for short outings. Sweaters are usually stretchy and fit better...and are softer then dog coats. They usually are more forgiving in size. By next winter when she is grown then you will know her true size.
    Last edited by big black dogs; 01-12-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    See if you can find a sweater for her instead of a coat. The sweater she can wear inside if needed and outside for short outings. Sweaters are usually stretchy and fit better...and are softer then dog coats. They usually are more forgiving in size. By next winter when she is grown then you will know her true size.
    A sweater won't do, Big Black Dogs. She has decided she wants to be outside no matter the weather and then spends 30 minutes shivering when she gets in the house. LOL We just came in from a walk and she did not want to come in. I on the other-hand have work to get ready for. Some stuff seems to size her as small and others as close to medium. I figure she will gain up to 10lb between now and April, so what ever I get will serve her or another dog without a coat. The small I got last month is almost too small and all of the t-shirts don't fit anymore. I hate winter

+ Reply to Thread