Extreme Runt Puppy Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Extreme Runt Puppy

Extreme Runt Puppy

Not really sure where this fits, so my apologies if it's in the wrong place! I got a rottweiler puppy that at 8 weeks of age weighed maybe 3 pounds. He eats, drinks, plays, and loves attention. My question is, has anyone dealt with a pup of this size before and if so, what should I expect? Are there any tips you could share as far as housebreaking, as he must have a small bladder. The pic is him with my less than 6 month old kitten, just to give you an idea of his size, or rather lack thereof.Extreme Runt Puppy-207994_523729077644586_1095334508_n.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Can you confirm that the puppy is 8 weeks of age? At 3 pounds, I'm guessing the pup is much younger - where did you get the puppy? Did you see other puppies from the litter? Parents of the puppies? As for the kitten - I've seen some pretty big 6 month old kittens <lol> - most weigh about 5-7 pounds.

As far as housebreaking et al, I'd treat this little one as I'd treat any small breed dog - but I'd also do some serious investigating into the correct age of the pup...
    Anne
    Forever mom to:
    Phoenix's Cabaret Lady RN, CGC (Neelah)
    A Little Xtra Jolt O'Java RA, CGC (Jayda)

At the Bridge -
    my heart dog, the one who started it all:
    North East's Oxford Scholar CD, RN,CGC, TT (Ben) 4/16/99 - 6/20/11
    and his nemesis -
    Ace Fighter Pilot (Baron) ~9/4/2001 - 11/23/11

i've never seen one that weighs 3 pounds at 8 weeks-old, but then, i haven't seen all that many rottweiler pups to begin with...

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

There is such a thing as dwarfism which can cause many health problems, just like in people or pup could just be small or pup might be younger then you think. Looking at the pictue the coat texture seems like a younger pup, but hard to see. A friend has a itsy bitsy rottie, name is also Itsy, but has a big big attitude!
    Audrey
    AKC CH Darkstarr's Heart and Soul aka Panzer
    AKC CH Queen Vom Vollenhaus BH(2006-2013 RIP)
    Dani von der Donnerbrucke BH CGC
    Thor von Eisenhart BH CGC Godspeed and RIP
    Cimaron 6/01/1996-8/08/2007

providing that it was healthy and otherwise "normal", it would be really interesting and cool to meet a mini-rott.
    Steph King and Wabatuckian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Capp View Post
    providing that it was healthy and otherwise "normal", it would be really interesting and cool to meet a mini-rott.
    I've got two...well, not really 'mini' but I joke that they are 3/4 scale models - at 6 and 7 years old, Neelah and Jayda top the scale at 70 and 65 pounds!
    Steph King likes this.
    Anne
    Forever mom to:

At the Bridge -
    and his nemesis -

Hi folks, Runt's are the Best!! My last Rott was the runt of the litter, he was small, then, he grew into an 160lbs of solid muscle, NOT fat.
    On the other hand, my new pup is small at 9mo and was the Alpha Male first born, so, ya just do not know what you have until they grow up and fill out.

The runt trained very easy, the alpha now is another story, a very smart and hard to train pup, very stubborn and independent.
    Best of fun training your new pup.
    Steph King likes this.

when i went to get my dog, mocha, i was playing with the puppies and the runt of the litter took a real liking to me. she came over and fell asleep on my feet. i heartlessly rejected her because she was the runt. i did not know as much about dogs during those days and now i would not reject a healthy puppy just because it happened to be the runt of the litter. the good news is that all of the people thought the runt was so cute, she was one of the first to be adopted.

First born does not necessarily mean "alpha"...and the 'runt' of the litter will often be one of the larger pups when they are ready to go home...

I don't care what the birth order is - if the dog chooses me then I'm taking it home; and should my next dog come from a breeder, then I will trust the breeder to choose the right pup for me, because that's what good breeders do. rescue or breeder - I've never lived with the 'wrong dog' yet - so I'm doing something right!
    Steph King likes this.
    Anne
    Forever mom to:

At the Bridge -
    and his nemesis -

My Allie, was the runt and she ended up to be one of the biggest Rotts I have ever owned. When I went to the breeders she chose me! I have always believed that a dog will choose their owner..... My Kitty chose me also out of 9 puppies.

Steph King likes this.
    ROL Administrator

\" Angel Rescues \"

RIP my sweet Allie, Zeus, Apollo, Kitty, & Rhea I will see you at the bridge.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast