Aggression issues Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheera'smom
  • 2 Post By rottiemom7134
  • 1 Post By Bwilson

Thread: Aggression issues

Aggression issues

Hey ya'll! I need some help/advice/suggestions? I have a 2 year old, 125lb male rottie who has been neutered. I have had him since he was 6 weeks old. I have done everything a good, responsible rottweiler owner should/would do....given him the best vet care, best food for him, socialization every chance we get, obedience training. I plunked down $3000 (yes you read that correctly) on a one month board and train for him. I outlined the behavior issues I was having with him. When I got him back...he was great! all of the little kinks worked out, heels, sits, long down, place, you name it--he does it with flying colors. except for 1 large issue....and this is where I am asking for your input---I am not a stupid person by any means, I have had rottweilers in the past as well as other aggressive, large breed dogs so please refrain from condescending remarks as I am truly stumped and do not want to give up on my dog--the issue: When we are inside the house....it is just a normal home/family like atmosphere, nothing has changed in the 2 years he has been with us....he is on patrol. a leaf falls outside, a car door shuts, the smallest sound and he is attacking the windows. If i leave the front door open to let some light in--he will go stand at the door and look out.....if he sees someone walking their dog or if he sees the neighbors flag wave in the wind....he is trying to go thru the glass! He gets in the attack zone where he can not hear me telling him to stop....if I touch him, reach for his collar, or shut the door around to back him up and get him back to reality...he shows his teeth, he has tried to attack the door, he has put his mouth on me but not bitten down, he has bitten another member of the household before though. I can take him on a walk and he pays no mind to any of the aforementioned stuff. I can take him to a dog park and he plays with everyone and gets along just fine. no aggression whatsoever. but as soon as we get in the house the boy is on patrol. I have established myself as the alpha and he obeys me for the most part. He does challenge me from time to time but i just attribute that to him being a male and him trying to show his dominance. If anyone has any suggestions as to how i can fix this behavior....i would be very grateful! Thank you for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Wow....how long has it been since he came home form training? Have you talked to the trainers to find out if something happened at training camp that could spark this behavior? Maybe something happened to him while he was penned there that has made him very territorial... Kinda like when dogs are very anxious and aggressive on leash but ok off leash...

I know that when my dad had sent his hunting dog off to be trained (40+ years ago), our dog got into a bad fight with another dog at the facility. When she came home, she was a good hunting dog but could not abide ANY other dogs within 10 feet of my dad. He took to carrying a little surgical kit with him to stitch up other people's dogs if she got a hold of them out in the field.
    Bwilson likes this.

he has been back since the end of March. Nothing happened while he was away at training. I have spoken to the trainer several times. He basically suggests that I get a new dog/this one just may not be the right fit for me, etc. To me, dogs are not disposable...they are a committment and I refuse to give up on this one or make him someone else's problem.
    Sheera'smom and Bwilson like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Did he display the behavior in the trainers home while he was there?

Not that I am aware....he didn't the day I picked him up either but then again I didn't expect him to because it's not his home...he was just happy to see his family again...now that he's been home a while and he's back on his turf it's a whole other ballgame

I would probably put a correction lead on and really start working the front door while not in reactive mood. In and out of the doors with downs, waiting, sitting and waiting. Over and over so that will eventually become such a non thing for as long as it takes. I would probably keep a short lead on him most the time while supervised to be able to relocate him or give a meaningful correction. You can start trying to work in daily routine of starting some scent work around the house. Make it sort of a job for home giving him another outlet to work his mind instead of patrolling the house. We run a lot of training drills fast paced in the house with sit, down, wait, stand, sit, wait, come and repeat for about 15 min increments during the day to keep them working their minds and self control. These drills usually tire them out. Dog puzzles can help working their minds also. These can be little jobs to help rework the home into something other then his domain to protect and be on edge. Male or female dogs can be dominate and he may listen to you at some points but putting his mouth on you to correct you should not be allowed even if no damage was done. You can always look for a animal behaviorist to help work with you on how to deal with you when he challenges you to try to eliminate that sort of relationship. I am sorry this is happening and I hope something will work in helping to establish a happy home.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

The best treatment for him is go back to a training program to teach him again a proper behavior. Glad you're not bitten.
    Stay Cool

Hi there, i have a rottweiler who will turn 19 months next week... he is a great dog, he adores playing and loves water and swimming... He loves people and whenever someone comes, he greets them and pays all the attention to the guest... He never barked nor growled at them and only played... I used to take him outside with me and he was calm and never barked nor frightened anyone... He is a very hyperactive dog.... He took obedience classes and is good at the commands... He is not fearful but he gets worried sometimes with sudden sound... He leaves people touch him but i feel he is a bit worried but not afraid... When i take him on a ride, he was calm and people can peacefully pass by the car walking and he will just look at them... Suddenly, 3 months ago, i found him changing towards people and guests and in the car... In the car, he barks and growls intensively if someone moves right next to the car or even a security man standing still and i am passing... Nothing ever happened and this behavior suddenly appeared... When i take him out for a walk, he walks normaly, but if we sit somewhere to have a drink, he barks and growls very hard at the waiters coming to our table... If someone wants to tap him, he accepts it for the first couple of seconds, then out of nowhere he jumps at that person trying to hold him with his hands while growling and willing to bite... Also when visitors come at home, they are usually afraid of him, so i put on the leash and keep him by the fence... He keeps looking at the visitors and as soon as they approach the door, he barks and growls at them badly... I dont know what that behavior means and if i can prevent it from happening.... Please ask me questions because for sure i didn't mention everything... Hopefully we'll find answers
    Regards,
    Ahmed

+ Reply to Thread