Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Potty training

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Sheera'smom 
#1 ·
I am having a difficult time with Sarge and potty training. Today is the 11th day we have had him and I dont remember having this much trouble with any of our dogs in the potty training area.
I take him out and ring the bell on the door and say "Lets go Potty" and we get outside and he will pee and I praise him and give him a treat. We go back inside 15 to 20 minutes later and he will pee on the floor. Yesterday this happened three times.

I am getting frustrated with it, we go outside and instead of pooping the grass he will poop on the sidewalk or middle of the driveway bascially where ever he wants to. Yesterday he pooped in the house. To his credit he has only pooped inside 2 times in the 11 days, it is the peeing inside that is driving me crazy.

#3 ·
I have not seen your other posts yet....but how old is Sarge? If he's a still a young puppy, it's totally reasonable for him to still not understand that he needs to go outside and pee.

#9 ·
My boys were about 5 months old when they really started to really get that we don't pee or poop in the house. But we still had accidents from time to time.

Reactions: Sheera'smom
#6 ·
Ah I see! He is to young to understand that he needs to go outside every time he needs to pee. But that is the best time to teach him a proper behaviour just keep on train him and who know's one day he will understand what you want him to do every time that he needs to pee in the proper place.

#7 ·
It can take a while. Remember his bladder is tiny at this point and he needs to go(out) frequently. Stay consistent. It can take a few months.

Our rescue rottie, Leisa, is 5 years old, we think. She has never lived in a house before. She has been at our house for almost 3 months and still has "accidents" in the house. Unless we catch her actually peeing, there isn't much we can do except clean up the mess as thoroughly as possible. we praise her extravagantly when we take her out side to go potty and she pees. We are still learning each others signals :rolleyes: Doesn't help her that she is on prednisone while she is being treated for heartworm since that drug makes her pee a lot!

#8 ·
Ah yes, learning the signals. The puppies are so subtle if at all, Sarge will on occasion come up to you and look at you like he wants you to pick him up OR starts sniffing around.
If you dont catch eith of those signals you will have a mess to clean up "no pun intended".

Roxie use to come up and bark as she got older and we thought she wanted to play and would ignore her and she would have an accident. That only happened once or twice before we realized what that bark was for.

#11 ·
10 weeks old is too young to leave outside no matter what the weather. I've crated trained my puppies...I'm just curious on why you haven't tried to crate your puppy when you're not home. That is a great way to housebreak one. Dogs typically won't soil where they sleep and crates will help with teaching a puppy to hold it and will also keep them safe while you're not home.

I would expect your puppy to have an accident if you leave them for 10 hours....crate or no crate. Can you have someone come in and let him outside so he can be successful with not peeing or pooping inside??

Reactions: Sheera'smom
#12 ·
We live in a semi rural area therefor we dont have anyone that can let him out.

Another dilemma I just thought about was feeding. I have been feeding him(Sarge) twice a day, breakfast and dinner. With my wife and I being gone to work 10 hours a day ..... can I feed Sarge once a day? If not what would be a good regimen with us gone from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.