Potty training Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Potty training

Potty training

I am having a difficult time with Sarge and potty training. Today is the 11th day we have had him and I dont remember having this much trouble with any of our dogs in the potty training area.
    I take him out and ring the bell on the door and say "Lets go Potty" and we get outside and he will pee and I praise him and give him a treat. We go back inside 15 to 20 minutes later and he will pee on the floor. Yesterday this happened three times.

I am getting frustrated with it, we go outside and instead of pooping the grass he will poop on the sidewalk or middle of the driveway bascially where ever he wants to. Yesterday he pooped in the house. To his credit he has only pooped inside 2 times in the 11 days, it is the peeing inside that is driving me crazy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

If the peeing inside is only small ones it may just be scent marking but you need to address it asap.

I have not seen your other posts yet....but how old is Sarge? If he's a still a young puppy, it's totally reasonable for him to still not understand that he needs to go outside and pee.
    URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP C-CD OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
    Multi High in Obedience Trial Winner; American Rottweiler Club Top 10: Agility, Rally, Obedience

Ocean RE OJP OAP XFP PD SPS APJ APG APK SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC
    American Rottweiler Club Top 10: Agility & Rally

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Sarge was born May 6th so he will be 10 weeks on Friday. We are having a good day so far today "knock on wood".

What is the average time for them to get it ? It has been many many years since I have gone through puppy days.

Ah I see! He is to young to understand that he needs to go outside every time he needs to pee. But that is the best time to teach him a proper behaviour just keep on train him and who know's one day he will understand what you want him to do every time that he needs to pee in the proper place.
    Stay Cool

It can take a while. Remember his bladder is tiny at this point and he needs to go(out) frequently. Stay consistent. It can take a few months.

Our rescue rottie, Leisa, is 5 years old, we think. She has never lived in a house before. She has been at our house for almost 3 months and still has "accidents" in the house. Unless we catch her actually peeing, there isn't much we can do except clean up the mess as thoroughly as possible. we praise her extravagantly when we take her out side to go potty and she pees. We are still learning each others signals Doesn't help her that she is on prednisone while she is being treated for heartworm since that drug makes her pee a lot!
    Capp likes this.

Ah yes, learning the signals. The puppies are so subtle if at all, Sarge will on occasion come up to you and look at you like he wants you to pick him up OR starts sniffing around.
    If you dont catch eith of those signals you will have a mess to clean up "no pun intended".

Roxie use to come up and bark as she got older and we thought she wanted to play and would ignore her and she would have an accident. That only happened once or twice before we realized what that bark was for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
    What is the average time for them to get it ? It has been many many years since I have gone through puppy days.
    My boys were about 5 months old when they really started to really get that we don't pee or poop in the house. But we still had accidents from time to time.
    Sheera'smom likes this.
    URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP C-CD OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
    Multi High in Obedience Trial Winner; American Rottweiler Club Top 10: Agility, Rally, Obedience

Ocean RE OJP OAP XFP PD SPS APJ APG APK SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC
    American Rottweiler Club Top 10: Agility & Rally

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoatsRI View Post
    My boys were about 5 months old when they really started to really get that we don't pee or poop in the house. But we still had accidents from time to time.
    OMG, 10 more weeks of watching him like a hawk or sitting outside with him in 95 degree heat (obviously in shade with fans)

I start another project next week so that will set things back. When wife and I are both working our 8 yr old could hold it for 10 hours easily and she had the run of the house.

With Sarge I had to leave him for a few hours on Monday to finalize a contract and my wife was out of town on business so I put Sarge in the laundry room with 2 puppy gates stacked on top of each other. I also put down two wee wee pads. I came back home after about 3-4 hours and Sarge hadnt pottied in the laundry room at all but as soon as I took him out front he pottied.

So starting next Monday we will have to leave him in the laundry room(6' x 10') for approximately 10 hours a day while we are at work. It is too hot to leave him and Roxie outside all day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast