Puppy Dominance over Roxie Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xaza

Thread: Puppy Dominance over Roxie

Puppy Dominance over Roxie

Roxie as many of you know is our 8 year old Rottie and she is sooo layed back regarding everything from water to food. Sarge (our puppy) has gotten away from me twice while Roxie was eating (since she is fed first) and run up to Roxie's bowl and started eating. Now Roxie LOVES dinner time but she just raised her head and was going to let him eat.

The same with water bowls inside and out, if we go for our walk I have to pick Sarge up and let Roxie drink first or she will just walk away and not drink at all. She lets him walk up and take her toys and will dig a nice cools spot to lay in while we are outside and Sarge will pester her till she moves. On occasion 3 or 4 times Roxie has put him in his place but seconds later he is back again doing the same thing.

Is it normal for a male to have such a strong personality/wont back down ( He is Smart and HARDHEADED/DETERMINED)
    Maybe he senses Roxie is old and not in the best health?

Then there are occasions where she will run and play chase with him.

I guess bottom line , is this normal behavior when bringing a strong wille male in with an older female with regards to Roxie and Sarge?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I think you are doing the right thing making Sarge wait so Roxie can get a drink. Sounds like he is being a pesty puppy and that Roxie is handling him so far, but don't' leave everything up to Roxie. You are the boss and you need to make sure that things don't get our of hand between the 2 dogs as Sarge matures. Our daughter has 2 dogs and the most frequent command heard at their house is "LEAVE IT!" when the younger (and much larger dog) gets overly excited and pounces on the older dog. The older dog has disciplined the younger dog severely sometimes, and as he has gotten older this once turned into a nasty fight. All is well usually, but they are very careful to keep things from escalating between the two dogs. Both dogs are mixed breeds, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheera'smom View Post
    I think you are doing the right thing making Sarge wait so Roxie can get a drink. Sounds like he is being a pesty puppy and that Roxie is handling him so far, but don't' leave everything up to Roxie. You are the boss and you need to make sure that things don't get our of hand between the 2 dogs
    I agree. Roxie is allowing you to be the boss and is looking up to you for support. We have a similar situation with our 2 and 8 yr olds. Max won't push Chief out of his bowl but if he walks away with something left it is fair game. I watch over them feeding and now Max will go lay down when he gets done (he eats fast, Chief slow). Keep being consistent in showing that Roxie is your second in command and your pup will fall into line eventually. Don't be behind Sarge trying to prevent him from getting to the food. Keep yourself between the dogs with focus on keeping Sarge away. Not sure if you do already, but pour both bowls of food at the same time so Sarge can see his bowl of food. It will be strange at first and may cause Roxie to not eat because of commotion but she will get hungry and get over it. With toys I have 2 of everything, we play together and I put them up. Max is not allowed to switch ropes, balls or whatever we are playing with. I correct him and put him back on his toy if he tries. Chief is allowed to initiate play with Max's toys(rarely does), but I let go and they play with me watching until Chief is done. I end them playing by redirecting Max back to me with the toy. Good luck and keep us updated.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Just keep it up you doing great
    Stay Cool

+ Reply to Thread