Stella and greeting new people............ Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bwilson

Thread: Stella and greeting new people............

Stella and greeting new people............

Stella is now a 10 month old female Rottie. She loves people and goes crazy when meeting someone. After about 5 minutes she settles down. Not perfect after that but reasonable for a puppy.

A little history. The breeder was extremely concerned about Parvo. His opinion was no contact with dogs or people that had dogs (people can carry the disease on bottom of shoes?) until the final shots. Our Vet was not that worried but agreed it can be an issue. My point is that Stella was not socialized properly at a young age.

She is a pretty good puppy right now. I would give her a A on her behavior in the house and a B outside. She is wonderful with her leash training. A "stay" to die for a real nice heel etc. As long as there are no distractions from people, squirrels or rocks or mulch...LOL

My questions: Any ideas or suggestions on socializing at this late puppy age. She is difficult to handle with her enthusiasm with new people.

Thanks
    Bil

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I understand waiting. My vet was concerned and told us to wait taking out and about. We did carry him around till he was to big for awhile. We got the clear at 6 months ended up taking a class at Petsmart. It is hit or miss on the trainers their and didn't learn much. Mostly it was good for socializing before and after class. If you could find a group class in your area I would recommend. Depending on your neighborhood will determine how easy it is to socialize with the local community. I had some people pleased to socialize with my rottie. Majority though wouldn't come near him. The class it seemed we all were in the same boat of puppy mayhem. No one even batted an eye over their dog playing with a Rottweiler. My boy had a great time with a pug and a dachshund. When taking daily walks I would start with leave it or watch me when her focus is on something and she is excited. Eventually she should start ignoring people and dogs. Then you can work on getting closer to people and dogs with a calm sit.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

Thanks for that info. We live in the country, a little limiting in terms of available people. We walk an get our exercise on our own acreage. We do have a neighbor with a young male Rottie that Stella has had play dates with . They really have fun!

We are not that far from town and will try to find a group class. That is probably the most reasonable choice for us.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StellasDad View Post
    Thanks for that info. We live in the country, a little limiting in terms of available people. We walk an get our exercise on our own acreage. We do have a neighbor with a young male Rottie that Stella has had play dates with . They really have fun!

We are not that far from town and will try to find a group class. That is probably the most reasonable choice for us.

Thanks
    This is a good start good luck! I'm looking forward for her improvements.
    Stay Cool

+ Reply to Thread