Very aggressive Males - Page 2 Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Very aggressive Males

Super Moderator
    First step, would be getting them both neutered. Life will be much easier...without all of the extra testosterone....and you have way more chance of having them get along. I would not expect a wagging tail to make you think that they want to see each other. Sometimes a wagging tail can mean..."game on...lets kill each other".… not good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Thank you all. July 7, they both get neutered.
    I am struggling with this. Is their a realistic chance they get along after neutering, or will I have to do the worst case scenario, and get rid of one of them, or both?

Super Moderator
    I think there may be a good chance of things getting way better after neuter, and heavy obedience training. You want to be able to stop them from even thinking of starting anything by giving them a command and redirecting them. It probably would be good to get a trainer to do an in home assessment, and see how you could change the way you are doing things. There could be a possibility that things will never be good...and then it would only be fair to rehome the young male. Make sure he goes to a home where there is a female dog, or no other dogs...and warn the new owner that he can be male dog aggressive.

It will take awhile for the hormones to leave, so don't expect things to be different until a few weeks after the neuter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Caesar, the youngest, just came out of surgery. Everything went well.
    Maximus is scheduled to go in on the 7th, of July.
    I am purchasing two Dean & Tyler wire muzzles for the males, until we get 4-6 weeks past both surgeries. They will wear them if they are ever around one another, although I am not sure if that will be detrimental to their obedience.

Super Moderator
    Glad the neuter went well. It is a simple surgery for males...and you will have a hard time keeping him quiet till he heals up.
    I'm not sure about the muzzles?? Sometimes they can do a lot of damage even with muzzles on. Head butt and ram each other. Obedience training...and really tightening up rules and regulations. Look up NILIF and implement it into your everyday life.

Thank you, Big Black Dog

Update: We take Maximus in to get neutered tomorrow.
    Caesar is doing well, after his surgery. I believe you all said 4-6 weeks before anything may start to be noticed. Praying that these two will be able to cohabitate peacefully, like before.

Super Moderator
    I hope Maximus's surgery goes well....and things get easier between the two of them. It does take awhile for the hormones to leave the body after the neuter. You may notice a difference even earlier than 4 weeks...it just depends. Do you use baby gates in your home? That may be a good way for them to be able to see, and smell each other, and a good way to be re-introduced with a baby gate in between them. Once the hormones have subsided that is. Or taking them for a good long walk...an adult walking each dog ...having them stay fairly close to each other...but not giving them a chance to pose or snark. Keeping them moving is the key.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12