Aggression in a year old male Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Aggression in a year old male

Aggression in a year old male

Hi there! I’m a rottie aunt. My immediate family can’t have any more dog tragedies. I myself lost my 2 year old golden 5 years ago to cancer. My brother had two rotties. He lost my dog nephew DJ to osteosarcoma and my dog nephew Goosey to heart disease within 6 months of each other within the last two year's. They were both 6. Gut wrenching!!!

He now has Onyx who turned 1 in July. It’s been recommended for him to wait until 2 years for neutering, which we have never done before. We’ve always done 6 months. Within the last few weeks Onyx has become incredibly aggressive. He went at me twice today. My mom yesterday. Yet he looks at us with such confusion like he knows it’s wrong but doesn’t know why he does it. My brother is calling ASAP tomorrow in regards to fixing. Please tell me he will calm down. We truly feel he is a love! He is OBSESSED with balls and twigs. He can play all day but he seems in such discomfort licking himself. It brings us to tears when he turns. Any advice would be appreciated!!! We love him to pieces!!!!! Spoiled is an understatement. I should also say he’s been marking which I see shows the needs of being fixed. Please help and thank you!!!

Rottie Aunt

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, what is he licking that's causing discomfort?

What sort of obedience training has he had? Can you give more details of what's happening when he goes after you/your mom?

Yes, what you do you mean by "going after"? Did he bite, did he lunge and bark, exactly what? Also, obedience is extremely important in Rotties, they do need bounderies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for responding! He was with a trainer but COVID shut everything down. He’s licking his testicles (which are huge)! My mom said she was sitting on the couch and he was sitting up in front of her on the floor. She was petting him and he just growled and turned and nipped her wrist. Yesterday I was sitting on the floor with him. He loves to sit in my lap facing away from me. Same thing. A lot of growling then jumped to face me. He snarled showing teeth and snapped at my arms which I put up to block myself. A little while later I asked him if he wanted to play in the yard. Same thing....snarled and lunged at my hand.

He looks like he is in discomfort. 😞

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums. He is most likely full of testosterone, and neutering may help to get the levels down. It sounds to me that he lacks training and is being spoiled. He needs firm and fair leadership...not babying and spoiling. Get him off the couch, and stop sitting on the floor with him. Look up NILIF, and start implementing it into his everyday behavior. Start working on simple training commands and work up to things that he can do longer with the three D's...Distance, Duration, and Distraction.

At 12 months he is fine to be neutered, he's more than old enough. Rottweilers can be a pushy breed, the more you let them get away with...the more they will push. Any dog of mine that had tried to bite a family member would have been corrected quickly!!! It's time some training and work was put into this dog...less babying and more training. His life may depend on it.!!!
    Steph King likes this.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

Thank you for the information. We have always fixed our dogs around 6 months. It was recommended to wait 2 years but that is not going to happen. We just want the best for him.

Hi all! Onyx is getting fixed this Thursday. You can still see how uncomfortable he is. My brother is beside himself that Onyx has been aggressive. Please tell me with him getting fixed and hopeful continued training, he will mellow!!!!! I’m sick to my stomach thinking of losing him.

Super Moderator
    The hormones should be slowly leaving and that will help...it will not be overnight. He should not be too uncomfortable from a neuter, it's a simple procedure. He should not be babied, and fussed over. Give him a week to get over his neuter, and back into strict boot camp training he should be. If he is told to "sit", he must sit, etc. I would see if you can get a trainer in for some private lessons. I have a feeling this dog has been babied, and allowed to get away with bad behavior and it's more the fault of the owner, not the dog. The dog needs leadership, and training and attention...in that order. Too much fussing and babying will spoil this dog. As I said look up NILIF, where the dog has to basically work for everything. It will help to get things back on track.
    Steph King likes this.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

Thank you! Yes because of the sudden loss of DJ and Goose, he has been babied a little. He does many things on command, sit being one of them. I’ve passed your training advice to my brother. I was just reaching out for my own knowledge.
    Agis likes this.

Onyx was fixed yesterday. I went to visit him a little while ago. He was excited to see me but then started growling at me like he was going to come after me. He most certainly knows who I am. I know it will take time for the hormones to calm down. And my brother will start training ASAP. What would make him do this otherwise? My brother lives with my parents. Does he think I’m in his space? This didn’t happen weeks back. I’m just curious if there could be another reason beside the hormones. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast