Resource Guarding or not? Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Agis
  • 2 Post By Lucky7

Thread: Resource Guarding or not?

Resource Guarding or not?

Hi all, need some advice please. I have a 18 week old puppy. When feeding I can hold the bowl and pet him. If I stop petting for about a minute and start petting him again, he growls.
    I can bé near him when feeding, hold the bowl, hand feed him and have my fingers in the bowl when he eats. All nó problem, but if I pet him while eating he growls and gets anxious.
    Some people on the internet have said I shouldn't pet him at all when eating?
    I'd like to know what you all think
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

For me, while it's good to be able to take something high-value from a dog's mouth (in case they grab something they shouldn't while outside), once I give our dogs their food, I leave them to eat in peace.
    big black dogs likes this.

Super Moderator
    I agree with Agis. Taking some high value item from a dogs mouth...and bugging a dog while eating...are two different things. A good "drop it" or "leave it" command works wonders when a dog has some item that you want them to drop, or to leave alone.

I'm not a big believer in bugging a dog while eating. It takes all of 60 seconds or so to eat a meal. Get the food ready, put the dog in a "sit/stay"....put the bowl down...and count to 5 or 10 and release the pup/dog to eat in peace. The reason that I put a dog in a sit/stay...is that I hate when dogs start jumping up, or scratching your leg to get their bowl of food. Just basic manners 101.

A growl means that the dog is uncomfortable with you touching while he's eating. If you think he may be getting food aggressive...then while he is eating....throw something really good close to his bowl and keep on moving. A couple of tiny pieces of hot dog, or cooked chicken, or little chunks of cheese. This just lets him know, that you are around...but have no reason to bug. That you not only control his food...but also dispense goodies while eating.

Is your pup in training classes??
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Hi, thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I agree. There is no need to pet him while he is eating. I've seen a much happier, relaxed dog since we've stopped. Can hold bowl and have hands near his bowl, no problem. We're currently showing good progress with the "drop it" command. We've spoken to a professional trainer, starting training on 24th.
    big black dogs and Agis like this.

+ Reply to Thread