12 week old puppy biting and aggressive Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 12 week old puppy biting and aggressive

12 week old puppy biting and aggressive

Hi there.

I have a 12 week old female rottweiler puppy. She is aggressive when playing in the house. She always wants to teeth or bite. She often starts growling and then bites. She has drawn blood when biting my girlfriend. We researched online and tried several of the mentioned remedies like yelling ouch when she bites too hard or putting her in time out. We don't even like trying to pet her because she wants to start biting. When she is tired or just wakes up she is an angel. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Have you tried redirecting her onto toys? Putting her in a sit stay if she knows that? She's getting to the age where you really want this under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Agis View Post
    Have you tried redirecting her onto toys? Putting her in a sit stay if she knows that? She's getting to the age where you really want this under control.
    Yes, she will just drop the toy and go for the hands again. If we can't get her to stop we put her in a time out. And you ar right, we are concerned with her age. Hoping there is something else we can do to get her to stop. The yelling and ouch does not work. She ignores that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

How much obedience training does she have? Giving her something to do (occupying her mind) may help calm her down.

Super Moderator
    Get enrolled into a good positive based obedience class...and keep her in some sort of classes for the next couple of years. It sounds like you may have a 'spicey' pup that needs good leadership, and steady training. Did the breeder pick out the puppy for you, or did you pick her out?? Have you had a Rottweiler before?

She is starting to teeth...and I think the biting often gets worse before it gets better. Once they lose those puppy teeth, it gets better. You need to work on things though. When you give her a toy, instead of biting your hand...shake the toy, or squeak it...make the toy more fun and interesting then your hands. Another thing I would try is she is biting is to just walk out of the room, and if there is a door, or baby gate...shut her out. Being alone...and no one to bite...may get her thinking . Go back a few minutes later, and see what happens. If she starts biting again....give her a loud "AKKKKKKK"...and walk away. Repeat, repeat till she catches on that the fun stops when she bites.

Pups, often start getting bitey when they are overtired. Try putting her in the crate...usually within a few minutes...they are sound asleep.
    Get some professional hands on help...and things will get better.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

Quote Originally Posted by Agis View Post
    How much obedience training does she have? Giving her something to do (occupying her mind) may help calm her down.
    Hi Agis,

The only training she has is what I have provided her. Teaching her to sit and down so far. Yes, I think she has a lot of energy. I own and live on a ranch so we have lots of room. Unfortunately right now, she still has one Parvo shot left and we need to keep her confined until the last one. Our vet really recommends keeping her confined until that last Parvo shot. Parvo is bad in our area because of free roaming dogs and dogs digging in the dirt. We plan to take her on alot of walks and outdoor playing once she's had her last shot.

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    Get enrolled into a good positive based obedience class...and keep her in some sort of classes for the next couple of years. It sounds like you may have a 'spicey' pup that needs good leadership, and steady training. Did the breeder pick out the puppy for you, or did you pick her out?? Have you had a Rottweiler before?

She is starting to teeth...and I think the biting often gets worse before it gets better. Once they lose those puppy teeth, it gets better. You need to work on things though. When you give her a toy, instead of biting your hand...shake the toy, or squeak it...make the toy more fun and interesting then your hands. Another thing I would try is she is biting is to just walk out of the room, and if there is a door, or baby gate...shut her out. Being alone...and no one to bite...may get her thinking . Go back a few minutes later, and see what happens. If she starts biting again....give her a loud "AKKKKKKK"...and walk away. Repeat, repeat till she catches on that the fun stops when she bites.

Pups, often start getting bitey when they are overtired. Try putting her in the crate...usually within a few minutes...they are sound asleep.
    Get some professional hands on help...and things will get better.
    Unfortunately we live in a rural area and there are not obedience classes close by. There are some about a half hour away if we really need to. There was a litter of ten pups and we were the first to pick. We picked the pup. Was the largest female. My girlfriend has owned a Rottweiler. I never have. I have always owned hunting breeds. I currently own a GS Pointer. I got him as a wild one year old that a young couple did nothing with. I finally have him under control and he follows basic commands. My girlfriend is having more of an issue than I am with the Rott. The dog is much more aggressive with her than me. It is like the dog is attempting to be dominant over her.

I have done the thing you have said with the toy. Seems to work and for me when I yell ouch she backs off and stops biting me. So does time outs. She was a good girl yesterday evening except for a brief period. Right now I am more concerned with my girlfriend than me. The dog is more aggressive with her than me. She seems to know I am the boss and I can get her to stop being aggressive. My girlfriend is having trouble with that.

Super Moderator
    I live in a rural area...and have had to drive sometimes over an hour each way to attend training classes with all of the Rottweilers that I have owned. Get enrolled into a class, so you can have someone hands on teach you, how to teach your puppy. Your girlfriend should be attending the classes also.

It sounds like this pup came from a not so great breeder. A good breeder usually picks out the puppy that is most suitable for each home. They have lived with the pups for 8 weeks and know who is the quiet, easy going one, and who is the one that will need an experienced home with a firm hand. Rottweilers are very smart...and love to learn...seems that some of your problems is that you don't know how to teach your pup. Take a look at some kikopup Youtube videos....there should be some that deal with puppy biting. It sounds like your girlfriend may not be showing as much leadership as this pup requires. You really need to be firm but fair with this breed.

We are in the same boat with our 9 week old boy Vader. It's nice reading that others are going through the same thing! Most times he grumps and has a growl and wee snap when lifting him to go outside for the toilet. Seems to get overexcited in the evening and won't take no for an answer! When not arguing about being lifted or too excited he tends to be reasonably easy to redirect. (Harder to redirect from our older kids feet and clothes though!)

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Camy View Post
    We are in the same boat with our 9 week old boy Vader. It's nice reading that others are going through the same thing! Most times he grumps and has a growl and wee snap when lifting him to go outside for the toilet. Seems to get overexcited in the evening and won't take no for an answer! When not arguing about being lifted or too excited he tends to be reasonably easy to redirect. (Harder to redirect from our older kids feet and clothes though!)
    This is very common for a 9 week old puppy. Often they are just overtired...and need to go down for a nap in their crate when they get grumpy and snappy. Some pups object being picked up. Can you get a leash on him quickly and walk him out the door for a pee? A slip lead is great to have for a puppy...just put it on and out the door you go.

In the evening if he starts getting snappy...do some puppy obedience with him, or teach him a new trick, or game. "Find me"....is a good one to do with kids. The puppy is restrained (or put into a 'sit/stay'...one person hides. The pup is told to "go find"...and released. Start with easy hiding spots and make it easy for the pup at the beginning...then make it harder the better they get. Lots of fun for the pup, and lots of giggles and doggie kisses for the kids.
    Camy likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast