whining Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By big black dogs

Thread: whining

whining

hello everyone and happy new year
    first post and new to forum
    wife and I made the choice to get two pups. hers is shih tzu maltese and mine rottweiler. both 8 weeks and just love hanging out together.
    my rotti is now 12 weeks and has started to whine at different times. examples..... he would be laying on the floor and just starts whimpering just a bit . then stops , he has also started to nibble on his back side area ( tail docked ) and a couple of times actually cried out as if in pain.
    I have had 3 rottweilers in my past two were 2 years when I got them and one was 8 weeks.... now I don't remember this type of behavior in the pup years ago so I have tried to look it up and some say it may be growing pains and just him learning to communicate.
    I have patted his back area and it does not seem to be sore or tender to the touch and he plays like a normal pup with his sister all the time and doesn't seem to show same issues.
    They are not left alone in house at all as we are home and monitor them always
    any thoughts would be great.
    thank you
    Glenn.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums! As for the whining...Rottweilers can be vocal...and "talk"...when they are happy, when they want to complain, when they want something,etc. It could be just him 'talking'. As far as the nibbling on his backside? Not sure? Have you made sure there are no fleas? It only takes one flea to cause an allergic reaction. Is his cropped tail shorter, or longer? Some crops are left a bit too long...and when the pup sits, the tail his the floor...and it hurts.

I do want to caution you about a couple of things....since you have two puppies. Please keep them separated at times during the day. There is something called 'littermate syndrome". They do not have to be littermates, or even the same breed...just close in age. https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/pu...the-same-time/

Also, if you want to prevent separation anxiety in the future with both pups...you need to leave them alone at times. They must learn to be alone. Start with short times, and work up to an hour or two per day or longer. There will be a time when they have to be alone...and to keep them from freaking out, and miserable this is something that they must get used to. They will some day have to stay at the vet, or boarding, or you may have to go back to work, or need to be hospitalized,etc.
    Camy likes this.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

hi thanks for the reply.
    regards to separating them. they do sleep apart at night, and do have their alone time
    his does have a short cropped tail as I made sure to pick one that didn't have longer stub
    when I get a chance I'll post a pick of him to show his stub. again it's been almost 20 years since I had a rottweiler so I'm rusty..
    thanks
    Glenn

+ Reply to Thread