stealing off kitchen counters Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stealing off kitchen counters

stealing off kitchen counters

Any ideas on how to stop this? If we are in the kitchen he knows he cannot be on the tile, he's great about that. When we leave the room, he will roam in there and steal something off the counter. It's driving us NUTS...LOL
    Don, Shan and Jenna
    Eister's Duke of Earl

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Don, Moose does that too. The only way I have figured out how to stop it is to never leave any food out where Moose might be able to get it. Tonight my husband had old Vietnam pictures on the coffee table and Moose got some of them and had them scattered on the floor. Luckily he didn't tear any of them.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
    For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

you have to catch him in the act and have something unpleasant happen when his nose reaches up there- like maybe Kittys airhorn or bang a pot.then a harsh LEAVE IT!!! I honestly dont know as Nino has never been a counter surfer, and Sadie wiggled her nose up there once and I startled her with a loud stern " EH EH!" and she has never tried since. I am always baking and making dog treats so there is always something delicious on my counter. Heidi, on the other hand was a notorious thief, and the reprecussions didnt matter.I even had a scat mat up there that she learned to work around to get what she wanted. So I became well trained on not leaving anything interesting, or not giving her access when I couldnt watch her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I've tried the "scare the bejesus out of him" thing but, it doesn't work. He's just a voulture!! Last night my wife was stirring baked potatos and a piece hit the floor, he was on it in the blink of an eye and it was HOT. He just kept spitting it out till it cooled off a little then swallowed it whole. He's reached up there and grabbed a spoon for stirring coffee and took off, it doesn't matter what it is!!
    Don, Shan and Jenna
    Eister's Duke of Earl

Don, Moose is as quiet as a church mouse. I swear he tip toes past me to find something he can tear up. He likes tissue paper mostly.

One time I was cooking Sloppy Joes on the stove and when I walked back in the kitchen the lid was tipped a little so he must have tried to get in the Sloppy Joes. It had to be very hot and he has never tried that again. LOL!

LOL...Duke has a tissue thing too! toilet paper and paper towels. If the bathroom door is left open, he will be right in there!!

Right now, since he's not full grown, I can hear when his front paws hit the floor in the kitchen. then when we go look, he runs!! LOL...that's one thing he grabbed off the island yesterday, a roll of paper towels we hadn't hung up yet!!
    Don, Shan and Jenna
    Eister's Duke of Earl

They sure can make us laugh. Moose isn't destructive like my weimaraners were he's just sneaky. LOL!

Heidi was also a paper trashaholic....I did cure her of that by catching her in the bathroom and scooping up the trashcan on her head and not letting her out of it all the while sternly telling her no! trash!. She never got in the can again, but she couldnt wait till someone set down a used kleenex or papertowel. Ohh I really do miss her.

I don't let my dogs in the kitchen - it's too small - barely big enough for two people, let alone dogs!

Seriously though - keep all food off the counter and if you leave the kitchen, the dog leaves the kitchen and if you have to, put up a gate to keep him out and/or keep a leash on him. If you can't supervise him near the entrance to the kitchen, definitely get a gate.

Counter surfing is a self rewarding behavior - let him get ahold of something really gross a few times (tabasco or habanero pepper sauce laced slices of bread often work well) and perhaps he'll change his mind.
    Anne
    Forever mom to:
    Phoenix's Cabaret Lady RN, CGC (Neelah)
    A Little Xtra Jolt O'Java RA, CGC (Jayda)

At the Bridge -
    my heart dog, the one who started it all:
    North East's Oxford Scholar CD, RN,CGC, TT (Ben) 4/16/99 - 6/20/11
    and his nemesis -
    Ace Fighter Pilot (Baron) ~9/4/2001 - 11/23/11

Anne, For me my kitchen is big and wide open to other rooms so I can't put a gate anywhere. I keep food off the counter and that works. I just keep temptation away. I never have left food sit out so it isn't hard to get it put away fairly quickly. Counter surfing makes for a clean kitchen! LOL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast