Animal Aggression, Growl, Training Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nat
  • 1 Post By RottiMomCT

Thread: Animal Aggression, Growl, Training

Animal Aggression, Growl, Training

I have a 4yr old Female Rottweiler Gabbie. I have had her for 2 yrs, and I’ am the 4th owner. I was told she was raised chained up in a junkyard until someone jumped the fence and took her from there. I took her from my friend because she wasn’t treating her right and there were 5 dog attacks because she was irresponsible. I spayed her last year and she has all shots. She is overall the best dog I have ever had. She is sweet, adorable, fun, loving and much more. Her only fault is animal aggression which makes it hard for us to go and do things. Life is great for us but it could be better if we could go out and do more without terrifying everyone. She seems nervous and that’s what the third trainer thought as well. I just started running her on a treadmill to wear her out before her walks and I hope this helps.

I have taken her to 3 trainers 1) trained with electric collar 2) Military dog trainer 3) Used Cesar Millan’s techniques. The best results were from the Third trainer but I soon discovered internal problems with this trainer and could no longer take her to them.

So now the History is out of the way I can finally get to my questions. Can I train the aggression out of her or is it just the breed and I need to accept it? Will I ever be able to get another dog? Maybe a puppy she has strong mother instincts (she had a false pregnancy when I gave her a toy and treated it like her puppy and even made a nest). Does anyone know a great trainer in Virginia Beach that can help me? She also does a soft growl when petting her sometimes but she has never shown any aggression. Is the growl just as dog purr? If someone hits me playing around she jumps in between us and barks but does not attack. I love this dog so much and I don’t want to her to hurt another animal or get hurt herself. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

PLEASE stop using Cesar's techniques - especially with a shy/nervous dog - that will break her trust in you and trust is the basis for a solid relationship with your dog. I don't know of any instructors in your area - but I can definitely advise you NOT to add a second dog to the house while trying to work on a behavior issue with your current dog.
    Anne
    Forever mom to:
    Phoenix's Cabaret Lady RN, CGC (Neelah)
    A Little Xtra Jolt O'Java RA, CGC (Jayda)

At the Bridge -
    my heart dog, the one who started it all:
    North East's Oxford Scholar CD, RN,CGC, TT (Ben) 4/16/99 - 6/20/11
    and his nemesis -
    Ace Fighter Pilot (Baron) ~9/4/2001 - 11/23/11

I have found Patricia McConnel'sl books and blog to be a great source of information on communicating and training my dog. There's always interesting info in the comments too...Hope this link might help.

The Beauty of the “Ready” Cue

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Nat
    I am glad you have taken her to trainer. No, it is not breed related- dog agression and rotties are not one of them. Forget about Cesar and spend lots of time building confidence in her. If she had been outdoor dog she had no socialization. Take step at a time and wait on bringing another dog in the house. Lots of rewards if she ignores another dog passing by. Spend a lot of time one on one with her trainning and building obidience.
    Rotties do purr, mine does, you will know the difference btw purr and growls, watch body language, open mouth, relaxed-happy. Ears up, hair up, eyes still, growl-ready to snap.
    Sheera'smom likes this.

I had a thought. Do you like everyone you meet? Probably not. So why expect your dog to like everyone they meet...or think they need 'doggie friends'?

The only thing I expect from my dogs is to behave and not be a total a$$ when we are out walking - but that take time and training. If you have a reactive dog, you need to find a class/trainer/behaviorist that specializes in reactive dogs - and expect to take very tiny steps towards success - but keep with it - if you find a good person to work with you and your dog, success WILL come.

If your dog reacts while out for a walk in the park - start by going to the park and just sitting there - FAR AWAY from other people or activities and just observe. reward your dog in a calm tone of voice for remaining calm and then offer a small super yummy treat. Take your time and work up to your dog remaining calm while walking with you. You can't have attention while moving if you don't have it while stationary.

A great book would be Leslie McDevitt's "Control Unleashed" - contains lots of exercises/protocols for reactive dogs. It is geared towards agility folks but I have used ALOT of the exercises in my basic family manners classes.
    Sheera'smom likes this.
    Anne
    Forever mom to:
    Phoenix's Cabaret Lady RN, CGC (Neelah)
    A Little Xtra Jolt O'Java RA, CGC (Jayda)

At the Bridge -
    my heart dog, the one who started it all:
    North East's Oxford Scholar CD, RN,CGC, TT (Ben) 4/16/99 - 6/20/11
    and his nemesis -
    Ace Fighter Pilot (Baron) ~9/4/2001 - 11/23/11

This is a good place to get help with your rottie & you. We all love our dogs and have had to deal with common behavior issues that are exacerbated by the fact that we have rotties And the uneducated public expects our dogs to be aggressive. Rotties are no more dog-aggressive than any other dog. It's a matter of training and socialization. Gabbie can learn to ignore other dogs and their idiot behavior (and owners). It takes time and commitment and lots of treats. But it can be done. They are very smart and do NOT do well with being bullied (ie Cesar Milan) You can teach an old dog new tricks and rotties are very smart and sensitive. They will turn themselves inside out and endure a lot to please you. Good luck!!

+ Reply to Thread