My rottie isn't walking / using her hind legs Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My rottie isn't walking / using her hind legs

My rottie isn't walking / using her hind legs

My 12 y/o girl stopped using her hind legs 3 wks ago. She walked on Thursday and Friday couldn't.

Took her to family vet. He xray'd and diag was slipped / herniated disk / pinched nerve. 3 meds and told she should be ok... expect to take up to 8 weeks for recovery.

Had massage therapist at house to work on her, as well as a chiropractor. All said the same as the vet with outcome.

Fast forward.... no improvement at all... Note that she can go potty outside / we assist with a towel under her belly. She has feeling in her hind legs / reacts to tickling her feet/pads.

Toe dragging is get worse.

Yesterday... took her to specialty hospital. MRI done. No tumors, NO herniated disk... GRRRRRRR on the vet!!! He did a spinal tap and we are waiting for answers today.

DM???? If so, isn't that a progressive disease … we really didn't see anything leading up to this.... The week before, she was still spinning like a top when she knew it was time to eat.

Anyone ever experience this??? If so, please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. It's so hard to see them not doing well. Honestly, if she is not better in a little while...you may have to rethink about letting her suffer.
    Is she eating? Is she able to poop? Sometimes we keep trying everything....but the age of 12 is old for a Rottweiler. Sometimes there really is not much we can do. No magic pill, no magic treatment.
    Old age is something we cannot fix.

Hi, To answer your questions... she eats like there's no tomorrow..... she pees, poops... all normal. She let's us know when she has to.
    She doesn't seem to be in pain... no whimpering.
    We are just awaiting answers on the spinal tap because everything else looked normal that would otherwise cause her not to walk.
    I can't let her go w/o knowing that there is nothing that we can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My rottie isn't walking / using her hind legs-90442488_10220890448989502_7649458602398187520_n.jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    She's a beautiful girl!!! I do hope you get some answers. Does she pant during the day? That often is a sign of discomfort.
    DM does happen gradually...and sadly there is no cure for it. Usually they diagnose it when they have ruled out everything else. More common in German Shepherds...but I have heard of
    Rottweilers having it. It seems you are doing everything you can for now. Spoil her, and love her....and enjoy the time you have with her.

P.S. lindak…..did you used to post on rott.net?? Your member name sounds familiar.

Thank you!

She doesn't pant....

As far as her activity .. the week before this all happened she was spinning like a top which is what she does when she is getting her food.

She went from 100 to Zero overnight. She was a little slow getting up but.... she is 12 years old.

You have some memory... I used to be on the other forum and posted all the time about my beloved Porsha (gone 8 years already and I miss her terribly).

Super Moderator
    It really is weird that she went from walking to not being able to use her back legs. That often is a sign of a slipped disc or spinal problem. I guess you will just have to wait
    and see how things go.

I do remember Porsha!! I'm brunie'smom …..We just have Jemma left now, and she is going to be 11 years old this month. I miss the fun, and the fights, and Roscoe, and gang. FB is just not the same. ) :

Yes, it's weird. On Thursday, she was getting up on her own... went outside to go potty. We even have a step down from the back door.
    Friday, no walking.
    We are awaiting answers on the spinal tap that was done. That can usually indicate an infection in the spine...
    The other thing i was wondering was ... could she have rolled off the couch during the night? We sleep upstairs and she sometimes gets up on the couch.
    We have had xray's and the MRI and both confirm no slipped disc/herniation.

I do remember writing back and forth with you.

We also have Xena, our 8 y/o rottie girl.

Super Moderator
    It could be neurological?? The message from the brain to the back legs is just not getting there? Curious why you stopped all the medication? Anti-inflammatories were most likely prescribed...I would keep giving those ….just in case there is inflammation somewhere on the spinal cord.... or at least to see if there was a difference. What did the vet advise to do??

Would it be possible to get her into a chiropractor (despite the pandemic?)? Maybe a long shot, but it could help even if not a herniation I am wondering.

Hi Agis,

We tried Chiro treatment 3x with no difference. The MRI confirmed no herniated disk or tumors.... Spinal Tap showed nothing... The Dr. said DM??????? He is scratching his head. He said we have nothing to lose by trying prednisone.
    She responds to tickling her hind legs, so she does have feeling. She p's and poops on her own outside. She can assist in pushing up out of posture after potty. Her legs just don't move to walk. Front legs are fine. She eats like normal... She looks normal.
    I will be calling the Animal Medical Center in NYC today... maybe someone can talk to me... I can't go there unfortunately.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast