Strange bubble - Page 3 Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Strange bubble

If you do suspect the Ichthammol may be the issue, replace it with hemorrhoid ointment and see if he still gets upset.

Hemorrhoid ointment is as non-invasive as it gets and even if he licks it, it shouldn’t hurt him.

I have used hemorrhoid ointment on bee stings and bruises on my legs, the Catahoula/Pit Bull licked it off before I realized what he was doing and he never got sick. <—— this is the dog that has reactions to The Seresto collar and can’t wear one.

Also, FWIW, I once had a cat who had to wear a cone for a long time after he had a hip replacement. By the time he got done being frustrated and banging the collar into the wall, his hip was almost healed closed
    Last edited by Frieda; 05-22-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    big black dogs likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I greatly suspect itís the collar thatís freaking him out BUT I donít know what effect he may be feeling from the 10% Icthammol.

The 6 to 8 hours of him with the salve on seemed to help the spot. Took some better pics of the size last night so I could have something to compare going forward through the antibiotics, placing extra beds around the house etc...

Two more questions
    * can it rupture inside ( probably a dumb question but just curious )
    * Is it okay to take him to the pasture to run and train ( he isnít limping at all but donít want it to get worse)
    * Is there a point when you have to go back to the vet for surgery and if so when is that (just being devilís advocate here)

Super Moderator
    It should not rupture...but the fluid should re-absorb. Sometimes it never goes down completely because scar tissue develops. Your dog is young, and if you prevent him from laying on the floor it should disappear. The only time I could see needing surgery, is if it became infected and got even larger and affected his gait some how. I don't think exercise will make a difference, and I would keep doing what you do every day with him.

Give it some time...and see how he does.
    Frieda likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

I ordered one of these so I can apply salve and when salve isn’t on use a child’s elbow pad

https://www.chewy.com/kong-cloud-col...-cats/dp/47470

You guys know over the years between I have spent over $10k on surgery’s on Roxie alone. Then we had Sarge and Elvis so we want to do everything possible to eliminate surgery on Gunny.

Well, bad news poor guys bubble has almost doubled in size in the last 12 hrs. We just put the cut down e-collar with salve wrap back on Gunny. I cut it down 1.5 ď and he has been tolerating this small difference much more.
    We have the new type of e-collar coming thru eBay Monday and his new beds 6/1.

I am hoping that with the continued salve treatments we can win this battle. It has wife and I so upset we are fighting with each other because of our history Trying to heal our fur babies.

Gunny is the toughest one yet because he is sooo big but still has the puppy face and EYES. It makes you feel like a jerk because you are not really sure with whatever it is you are doing is making him feel better.

If it has doubled in size, I might consider taking him to another vet clinic for a second opinion. Do you have an orthopedic vet near you?

You may be dealing with something completely different than the original diagnosis.

You have all my sympathy with your dog expenses. I had two horses with insulin issues at the same time. The elder horse passed in 2014. The younger horse is now 25 and was diagnosed with Cushings in 2019.

Since 2007 I have close to 30K in both those horses - and still spending on the 25 yr old. He sees an equine chiropractor monthly for his fractured sacrum. He severely foundered in 2012, leaving him with permanent hoof damage that requires custom orthotic shoes & pads every five weeks.

It’s a good thing I am ok with gray hair, no fingernails, t-shirts and cheap stretch pants, lol

I really feel your pain but I honestly would spend the money on a second opinion, given the bubble blew up in such a short amount of time.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
    Well, bad news poor guys bubble has almost doubled in size in the last 12 hrs. We just put the cut down e-collar with salve wrap back on Gunny. I cut it down 1.5 “ and he has been tolerating this small difference much more.
    We have the new type of e-collar coming thru eBay Monday and his new beds 6/1.

I am hoping that with the continued salve treatments we can win this battle. It has wife and I so upset we are fighting with each other because of our history Trying to heal our fur babies.

Gunny is the toughest one yet because he is sooo big but still has the puppy face and EYES. It makes you feel like a jerk because you are not really sure with whatever it is you are doing is making him feel better.
    Honestly, I would not put anything on it. The salve may be irritating it...and added to this you are stressing him out with the cone,etc. It is not painful, it's the bodies way of protecting a joint. The more he fusses and stresses himself....and bangs around...the bigger the bump will get. Just do some reading on hygromas...google can be your friend. Let him run and play...it's not going to make any difference...and take that cone off!!!! It takes at least 3 weeks for the fluid to re-absorb...this is not going to disappear overnight. If you are uncomfortable...then try another vet.

Thanks Everyone,

Here is where we are at, bubble is still same size. Bought two mor large beds and placed around the house. I got a surgical sleeve and slid that on his leg, put the childís elbow protector on over the sleeve then pulled the sleeve back up over the elbow pad to hold it up in place.

He is tolerating the cone much better. So we leave cone on except when itís time to eat and then take everything off at bedtime because he sleeps on his pet bed through the night.

We wake up take them out to potty , feed them at 8am and when he finishes eating we put everything back on him so he just hangs out inside and sleeps on his bed or the sofa.

Today is only our third day in this new attempt so hopefully in two or three weeks it will go away. When could we hope to see some shrinkage of it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123