Strange bubble Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Strange bubble

Strange bubble

We were brushing Gunny (just turned 1 yr old in March) and noticed at the top rear side of his right front leg is a huge bubble beneath the skin/fur.
    He hasn’t ever limped and take him to the field almost daily for training and he runs just fine??? It’s like a big pocket of squishy fluid, it must not be painful because he will let you examine it without even a flinch.

Any ideas (We have appt tomorrow at the vet), the anticipation is scary. We took Roxie in for a simple abscess and it turned out to be cancer and we had to put her down (she was 10).

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Don't panic. Does it look like a pencil eraser or bigger?? It sound like it could be a either a papilloma or histiocytoma?? Very common in young dogs, with immature immune systems. I would get it looked at by the vet...they will probably want to do a simple needle biopsy. Put a needle in the bump...and take some fluid off to look on a slide under the microscope. They usually go away on their own. Is it possible that he has bumped or hit himself in the area?
    It could also be a hematoma? Caused by a blister of blood under the skin. None of these things are serious and usually go away on their own.

Let us know what the vet says.
    Andrea52 likes this.

Neb (older non-Rottie) has developed a fluid-filled bump on his face. We haven't been able to get him to the vet, I've drained it a few times and it's all clear liquid. Pretty sure it's a sweat gland cyst? I mentioned it to the vet and they'll look at it when he can go in. Neither of us think it's anything bad. Hoping it's the same for Gunny.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Size- bigger than a golf ball
    Could he have hit it= yes there is a great possibility of that jumping in the back seat of the truck or running up and down the stairs on back deck. Only 4 steps but him and Rowdy ( Border Collie ) play and wrestle and chase each other
    He seems to be a little lethargic and has been licking his leg

I also wonder if it could be a snake or spider bite because the two dogs love to crawl around under the deck.

I have attached a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strange bubble-66a113ab-b378-440c-bdab-bfa559d1f104.jpeg  

Super Moderator
    That looks like a elbow hygroma. Google it. Common in bigger breed dogs...when they slam themselves on the floor. Very common in Great Danes and Dobermans.
    Sometimes vets will drain them...and sometimes they re-absorb. Don't worry about it too much.
    Andrea52 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    That looks like a elbow hygroma. Google it. Common in bigger breed dogs...when they slam themselves on the floor. Very common in Great Danes and Dobermans.
    Sometimes vets will drain them...and sometimes they re-absorb. Don't worry about it too much.
    Thank You so much BBD,

I am sure it’s a hygroma, we have beds for the dogs in our bedroom and they sleep in there with us on their beds at nighttime. However our entire house is oak flooring and so they sleep on the floor in the house or on the deck when outside the house during the day.

Thanks Again

Super Moderator
    If it is a Hygroma...sometimes they are hard to get rid of. If you can...try to get your dog to lay on something soft. It's hard to do when it's warm...and they flat out on the cooler feeling floor. Can you put some mats on the deck? so that Gunny will lay on them instead??

I know of some dogs that have had them drained...and then they fill up again. What about some elbow pads? like what sports players wear?? or something like that?? Maybe a kids sized elbow pad?

See what the vet says. They may prescribe some anti-inflammatories, or something to help with the swelling and fluid?

One other item clumps (pea to marble size) deep in the hair just around Gunnys head and neck. They have a kiddie pool out back and love to get wet then dig in the dirt. So naturally I thought it was clumps of dried up mud, upon further investigation it’s like clumps of dried skin. If you try to dislodge the clump hair and all comes out to the extent it will bleed slightly.

Never experienced either one of these issues on our other two Rotties.

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    If it is a Hygroma...sometimes they are hard to get rid of. If you can...try to get your dog to lay on something soft. It's hard to do when it's warm...and they flat out on the cooler feeling floor. Can you put some mats on the deck? so that Gunny will lay on them instead??

I know of some dogs that have had them drained...and then they fill up again. What about some elbow pads? like what sports players wear?? or something like that?? Maybe a kids sized elbow pad?

See what the vet says. They may prescribe some anti-inflammatories, or something to help with the swelling and fluid?
    thanks again BBD,

It’s at the top of the leg where the leg connects to the torso so I am not sure what kind of a pad we could put on him.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
    One other item clumps (pea to marble size) deep in the hair just around Gunnys head and neck. They have a kiddie pool out back and love to get wet then dig in the dirt. So naturally I thought it was clumps of dried up mud, upon further investigation it’s like clumps of dried skin. If you try to dislodge the clump hair and all comes out to the extent it will bleed slightly.

Never experienced either one of these issues on our other two Rotties.
    Could it be bug bites?? Around here we have blackflies...they cause a welt...and if scratched...become crusty and oozy. It's hard to say? What about bites and nips on the neck from your other dog? I know sometimes when they play...they love to grab each other's necks and chew and bite. See what the vet has to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast