Scare (poopypants) Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Agis

Thread: Scare (poopypants)

Scare (poopypants)

So Toby told me Friday Agis had had kind of a loose poop Friday morning. No big deal. Fed him as normal that day.

Then at 9 he had to go out. Liquid poop, three times.

When we went to bed at midnight, he pooped four more times, but it was like water shooting out of him, like a tap turned on high. Toby compared it to his colonoscopy prep.

It worried me, because I've never had a dog have diarrhea like that. We said we'd fast him Saturday.

Soft but able to be picked up poop Saturday morning. Spoke to the vet to ensure they were comfortable.

Saturday in the wee hours Neb puked - once? twice? I was really out of it. Sunday morning Agis had a normal poop and Xerxes threw up grass while we were outside.

Both Neb and Xerxes threw up clear liquid, I thought bile was yellow, but we assumed they puked because they were hungry/fasted (if we can't feed one dog, we don't feed any of them, to be fair). Sunday reintroduced food slowly - Neb and Xerxes got small amounts of food every couple of hours.

Agis got a few spoonfuls of pure pumpkin puree. Then, after I'd made white rice (super hydrated when cooked) and boiled chicken, he got that every few hours, and got a probiotic once.

No poops after the first thing poop yesterday, but he pooped normally this morning, and nobody else has puked!

Gave them all 1/2 their morning kibble, will feed again at lunch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Oh man!! The shooters and the pukers, all at the same time!!! I'm glad that you survived it!! Not fun at all. Dogs are weird...sometimes from nothing becomes something.... I think you've done well...everything I would have done. Boarding dogs for many years, I have learned how to deal with vomit, and diarrhea.

For diarrhea....fast for 24 hours for an adult dog....for anything under about 6 months...I fast for 12 hours. I let them have as much water as they want. After the 24 hr. fast...and things have calmed down with bazooka butt...lol I cooked up white rice (overcooked)...I usually keep some of it in the freezer, and I cook up some skinless, boneless chicken breasts ( I just microwave them)...freezer burned is fine. I do 4 parts cooked rice to 1 part chicken. Usually give about 1/2 cup of the mixture for a meal...if all goes well..then another small amount for lunch, etc. By the next day if their tummies are doing well...then I throw in a handful of their kibble into the chick/rice mix. Usually, by then things are good...and I proceed with more kibble and less rice/chick mix. If they don't do well after the fasting...I give Kaopectate. That will help bind things. If these things are not working...then it's going to the vet.

Puking is the same....just give them 24 hours fast...to let things calm down in the gut. If they are puking up water that they drink, and cannot keep it down....then it's vet time. Most often these works...and if I have some probiotics (Fortiflora)...I give that also.

Hope your gang stays well. This heat does not help...and living in an apartment it must be really difficult to have 3 dogs that are not well. ) :

I THINK the puke was from hunger? They ate Friday at 8:30 and then not until Sunday morning. A bit longer of a fast, but Agis's diarrhea was sooooo violent. But yeah. Cleaning up puke I think is the same, apartment vs. house, it's the diarrhea. Luckily Friday Agis was a good boy and came up to us panting so we knew he needed to go out. We're on the third floor (ground floor being the first) and next to stairs so could boogie him down those. Of course, at the stairwell exit there was a dead bird, but he had to poop enough he ignored it (smart boy!).

I figured at going on 11 months Agis could be fasted like an adult.

We had exactly two probiotic capsules left, heh. So he got one.

Neb had puked earlier last week and had a gross poop, so we assume they had some sort of bug...

But I have never seen diarrhea like that in a dog before! Freaked me out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    I can't imagine trying to get a dog outside quick with diarrhea while trying to get down a few flights of stairs!! It's hard enough sometimes having a fenced in yard, and a door to open up quick!! With puking...they usually find the only rug in the house..lol

You can order Forti Flora on Amazon ...that's the common probiotic that vets recommend, and send dogs home with around here.

Hope things are good today?

I suppose haha. We've been lucky. Our 15.5 year old German Shepherd would poop or pee by the elevators sometimes towards the end (and had generalized polyneuropathy so couldn't really do stairs) but his poops were pick up-able, and then we'd just sanitize the floor. With him, he was senile enough that if you didn't get him out on (his) schedule - like a minute late - he'd be like 'Time to go! Doesn't matter where I am, it's potty time!' Went in our apartment too, but not as much.

The rug, or the couch! Heh. We had a cat that would puke in our shoes.

I think that's the same our vet has recommended. We used it more regularly with our elderly GSD as he tended to stomach upset. I've since read GSDs have sensitive stomachs.

Agis had a normal - even firmer than normal! - poop this morning. Really nice to see.

Super Moderator
    Glad to hear poop is good!!! LOL Only dog owners can get so excited about firm poop....hahahaha!
    Hope everyone stays well.

Only dog owners love talking about poop! Ha!

Thanks - so far, they're all doing great today.
    big black dogs likes this.

+ Reply to Thread