Weird back legs Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By big black dogs

Thread: Weird back legs

Weird back legs

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum.

I just got a new 8 weeks old puppy. After one week i realized that his back legs are not right and there’s something wrong.

I took him to the doc and did xrays and they said there’s nothing serious but that i should monitor him and not allow him to walk around the house on slippery marble floor.

I put him in a separate big room for now and put rubber mats all over.

The thing is I’m too worried about his legs since they seem very off and they slide outside every time he walks.

I am attaching his xray picture and a small video i took.

Any advice from your past experiences would be much appreciated. I am just worried that he might grow up having a serious problem.

Thanking you all in advance

Video of Shaq walking :

https://youtu.be/FTsnJBTqHJ8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weird back legs-287c242d-ebfa-4e55-a04d-826fcb0989a3.jpeg  
    Last edited by wizzy; 09-10-2020 at 10:29 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forums! I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. Were his legs like that when you picked him up at the breeders?? A normal pup should not be having problems walking or using his legs. It's hard to tell from the x-ray, the positioning is not great.

What country do you live in?? If he were my puppy and I had access to an orthopedic vet, or another vets opinion...I would be getting my puppy seen. Are his back legs spreading when he is trying to walk? Perhaps you could try to make soft brace with a hobble?

What are you feeding him? He should be eating a Large Breed Puppy food. More information would be good.
    Eirian's Fancy Gem CGN TT HIC (April 2009-August 2020) "Jemma"

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. Were his legs like that when you picked him up at the breeders?? A normal pup should not be having problems walking or using his legs. It's hard to tell from the x-ray, the positioning is not great.

What country do you live in?? If he were my puppy and I had access to an orthopedic vet, or another vets opinion...I would be getting my puppy seen. Are his back legs spreading when he is trying to walk? Perhaps you could try to make soft brace with a hobble?

What are you feeding him? He should be eating a Large Breed Puppy food. More information would be good.

Hello,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I tried to upload a video but couldn’t manage to in my post. Can we upload videos here?

3 doctors saw the xrays and all of them said that there is nothing serious. However my pups walk is very weird.

He doesn’t have trouble walking or running. But his legs spread outwards. It’s too obvious that its not a regular walk.

I feed him premium royal canin food. Not making him run or play for now since it might make his case worse. And spread some mats all over the room so it wont be slippery for him as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    I'm sure it's possible to post videos here...but don't ask me how. I can't even post a picture...lol Try uploading it to youtube..and then post the link??
    This is not normal for a puppy, and the sooner that you can get your pup back to normal, the better it would be. I would not keep your pup confined...he needs to be able to use his muscles and ligaments , and to strengthen them. Let him be a pup...but I do agree to keeping his footing safe and not slippery. What about when he is walking outside on grass??

Is the Royal Canin food Large Breed?? Are you giving him anything else like vitamins or calcium? You should not, and sometimes that can cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by big black dogs View Post
    I'm sure it's possible to post videos here...but don't ask me how. I can't even post a picture...lol Try uploading it to youtube..and then post the link??
    This is not normal for a puppy, and the sooner that you can get your pup back to normal, the better it would be. I would not keep your pup confined...he needs to be able to use his muscles and ligaments , and to strengthen them. Let him be a pup...but I do agree to keeping his footing safe and not slippery. What about when he is walking outside on grass??

Is the Royal Canin food Large Breed?? Are you giving him anything else like vitamins or calcium? You should not, and sometimes that can cause problems.
    Hello again,

I uploaded the video on YouTube.

There you go

https://youtu.be/FTsnJBTqHJ8

And yes i feed him the large dogs royal canin. Not giving him any supplements yet. Although the vet gave me glucosamine DS plus to give him, but i didn’t give him any yet.

Super Moderator
    Just saw the video. Ya, that is bad! I've seen many Rottweiler puppies,but have never seen one with legs like that. It almost looks like it's his stifle or hocks, not his hips. Do a google search for "puppy with stifle or hock problems".

For sure do not let him walk on those slippery floors....he needs sturdy flooring to help him get stronger. If you are in North America or Europe...I would see if you can find an orthopedic vet. They work with bones all day, and should be able to give more advice. The glucosamine DS would be good to add and will not hurt to try.
    Steph King likes this.

+ Reply to Thread