Getting into IPO Special for Rottweilers visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kastaar
  • 1 Post By Kastaar

Thread: Getting into IPO

Getting into IPO

I am interested in getting into IPO or possibly PSA. I have looked into the few groups and or trainers in my area. I have emailed a couple different people and most have not responded. I have had some people respond and ask my dogs background and if their were any dogs or bitches with bitework in their lineage. (At the time I didnt know and was told I would be wasting my time if she didnt.) I spoke to one man who is part of a club and his job is dog training. He told me if I wanted to get into training my dog I would have to pay 1200 to start. Is this the only way to get into this sport? I do not know anyone that does this so I came here to ask. I understand that there are some costs associated with this and I am fine with paying them. I cant swallow putting down 1200 to *try* this sport. For all I know I could not like it or my dog would not enjoy it. I am looking into this sport because it is appealing to me and I think it could be something my dog and I would enjoy doing together. I am not trying to have “a trained attack dog”. If anyone could help me out with some information on if I should be looking elsewhere to begin I would appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    I know nothing about IPO....but from what I've heard, some of the clubs can be a bit snobby. Most of them tend to focus on German Shepherds, and Malinios....and Rottweilers are not always welcome. What I would try to do is either join a German Shepherd forum....German Shepherds : German Shepherd Dog Forums and see if you can find a training club in your area that will welcome all breeds, and not need to pay a huge fee before you know if your dog can do the sport. From what I know, it does take a lot of dedication to do this sport...not something you can just dabble in.

How old is your dog? Do you have a pedigree? If he?she comes from BYB, maybe just stick with tracking and obedience. Bite work may not be a good idea.

She just turned 5 months. Yes I have access to her pedigree and she has multiple dogs and or bitches titled in schutzhund. She is not from a BYB. I looked on German shepherd forums since I also have one but I figured since she is a Rottweiler I would start here. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RottWeilersOnline.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet421 View Post
    She just turned 5 months. Yes I have access to her pedigree and she has multiple dogs and or bitches titled in schutzhund. She is not from a BYB. I looked on German shepherd forums since I also have one but I figured since she is a Rottweiler I would start here. Thanks!
    Are her sire and dam titled in IPO? Then the breeder, or the stud owner would be the one to ask. If the titles are further back in the pedigree eg. grandsire or grandam, then your dog may, or may not have what it takes for IPO.

There are a few members here that do sport with their dogs....but I think most here are pet/companion owners. Hopefully you will get some info soon.

I have spoken to her breeder. Her parents are not her sires father was. I know regardless of pedigree she may or may not enjoy it and or do well. I know the more she has it in her history the better chance she may have at doing well with it. Thanks for your response.

Can you give the dam and sire 's name .I want to look at the pedigree .
    big black dogs likes this.

No reaction at all ? Seems to be a little bit rude to me .People spend time and effort to answer and help , followed by total ignorance from the other side .Strange people ...
    big black dogs likes this.

Your question might have gone to their spam, or they get so many emails in that they don't notice, or they delete by accident. It may not be rudeness. Ahem... we've all heard what assuming does... (well maybe not you, it could be an Americanism, not sure, but I say that jokingly.)
    Last edited by Steph King; 03-28-2018 at 06:22 PM.

It's also important to find a dog trainer, it's like finding a tutor for your child.
    Wish you find the best coach.

+ Reply to Thread