Rottweilers Online Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hello,my beloved rottweiler is 9yrs 8 months,he has athritis in back legs,the vet says it's only a matter of time when his legs give out,I am gutted,I cry all day,I Have bought another rottie pup to ease the trauma of losing max,but I don't know if it will really help,any suggestions would be appreciated
Sorry to hear about your boy. I know that arthritis seems like its unavoidable in these big dogs. My girl had arthritis in one knee but both her hind legs were weak and she weighed a lot. My advice is to keep his weight down if possible because he won't be able to do much exercising. When you do walk him, let him tell you when he's had enough. Don't push him. Also, if you have slippery floors in any room where he likes to be, lay down rugs that have some grip to them so he has an easier time getting up.

When my boy Ringo had cancer he had a difficult time getting up and I bought a lifting harness to help us help him to get up from laying down. I was just looking for the name of it and ran across several options to help stabilize hind legs in dogs with weak back legs. I don't know how helpful they are, but it's worth checking out.

The vet gave us Novox for pain but I rarely gave it to my girl because daily use will cause kidney failure. I gave it only when she was limping and in visible pain. Daily I gave her CBD supplements and turmeric for anti-inflammatory and fed her a mostly raw diet to keep her weight down and to try to reduce the risk of cancer.

I also used a massage stick (bought for myself but she would demand I use it on her every time I brought it out) on her as well as a heating pad on medium setting when I saw she was in pain. They really love to be massaged and it helps to bring blood flow to the area. Just lov on him all you can. He will appreciate it.

Hope that helps. Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about your boy. I know that arthritis seems like its unavoidable in these big dogs. My girl had arthritis in one knee but both her hind legs were weak and she weighed a lot. My advice is to keep his weight down if possible because he won't be able to do much exercising. When you do walk him, let him tell you when he's had enough. Don't push him. Also, if you have slippery floors in any room where he likes to be, lay down rugs that have some grip to them so he has an easier time getting up.

When my boy Ringo had cancer he had a difficult time getting up and I bought a lifting harness to help us help him to get up from laying down. I was just looking for the name of it and ran across several options to help stabilize hind legs in dogs with weak back legs. I don't know how helpful they are, but it's worth checking out.

The vet gave us Novox for pain but I rarely gave it to my girl because daily use will cause kidney failure. I gave it only when she was limping and in visible pain. Daily I gave her CBD supplements and turmeric for anti-inflammatory and fed her a mostly raw diet to keep her weight down and to try to reduce the risk of cancer.

I also used a massage stick (bought for myself but she would demand I use it on her every time I brought it out) on her as well as a heating pad on medium setting when I saw she was in pain. They really love to be massaged and it helps to bring blood flow to the area. Just lov on him all you can. He will appreciate it.

Hope that helps. Best wishes to you.
Thankyou for your reply,I am nearly gone mad worrying about losing my baby,I can't eat at all,and the pup keeps me up for most of the night,he won't stay in his playpen,I feel so depressed at the thought of max leaving me,I can't stop weeping,this boy has been with me 9yrs 8mths,the pup is adorable,but he isn't max,I bought high strength green lipped mussel extract,plus tumeric,and it seems to help a bit,I am out of my mind and feel so empty and lonely even if people were everywhere be it would make no difference. Without my boy

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Thankyou for your reply,I am nearly gone mad worrying about losing my baby,I can't eat at all,and the pup keeps me up for most of the night,he won't stay in his playpen,I feel so depressed at the thought of max leaving me,I can't stop weeping,this boy has been with me 9yrs 8mths,the pup is adorable,but he isn't max,I bought high strength green lipped mussel extract,plus tumeric,and it seems to help a bit,I am out of my mind and feel so empty and lonely even if people were everywhere be it would make no difference. Without my boy
Sorry that he is not doing well. What does the vet say? Has he been prescribed any medication? Metacam works really well to keep old dogs going.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hello,my beloved rottweiler is 9yrs 8 months,he has athritis in back legs,the vet says it's only a matter of time when his legs give out,I am gutted,I cry all day,I Have bought another rottie pup to ease the trauma of losing max,but I don't know if it will really help,any suggestions would be appreciated
Just do what you can to make him comfortable. If he has trouble standing while eating, you can support his back end a little with your arms. I did that for my girl when she started having trouble. If he gets to the point where he can't walk any longer, don't let him suffer too much. I was in a similar situation to yours. It is indeed extremely heart breaking.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts