Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having no issues of destructive chewing with our male,
The last 2 weeks he's destroyed a brand new sofa, a table and a window sill.
No change in routine, plenty of bones to chew on, plenty of exercise etc.

He seems to be doing it when we go to bed, not when we go to work which is really strange.
We aren't a household that let dogs on the sofas so it's a completely no go zone anyway for him, so to destroy it is really out of character.

He isn't displaying any anxious behaviour, so I'm unsure whether it's anxiety related. No problems eating, no pain or discomfort I can see...is this normal for a rottie of this age with no other previous incidents of chewing?

Will the hormones have an effect? I'm keen to not neuter until he's 2, but would consider earlier if this could be a cause of this behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It does sound like your boy may have too much energy and the hormones are surging. How much exercise time per day does he get? How much time do you spend training and working with him?? Was he crate trained as a puppy? You may just have to up his exercise and training and start using a crate again. With Rottweilers if they don't have a job to do (and get tired)....they find a way to exercise themselves and that can be by way of chewing, and destroying. He's at a good age to neuter now...most of his growth is done, with and the hormones he has needed have done their job. Do you have any neighbors around that may have a female in heat? That could be some of his frustration and cause him to be restless and destroy things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums! It does sound like your boy may have too much energy and the hormones are surging. How much exercise time per day does he get? How much time do you spend training and working with him?? Was he crate trained as a puppy? You may just have to up his exercise and training and start using a crate again. With Rottweilers if they don't have a job to do (and get tired)....they find a way to exercise themselves and that can be by way of chewing, and destroying. He's at a good age to neuter now...most of his growth is done, with and the hormones he has needed have done their job. Do you have any neighbors around that may have a female in heat? That could be some of his frustration and cause him to be restless and destroy things.
He lives with a spayed female 11 yrs old.
He gets alot of exercise, he runs with me 3 miles 3x a week and the rest of the week gets off lead play in a secure field with our female. I do alot of obedience with him too, any free time I have we work on obedience etc....so you think maybe it's time to get him neutered?
Me and my partner are self employed so he's only alone 5hrs max a day, but he gets exercised off lead/goes for a 3 mile run before we work to make sure he's tired.

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
I don't know if the restless chewing will stop once he's neutered....but it almost sounds like he is bored or frustrated. I would try crating him and not giving him a chance to be able to chew any item. Each time he chews something he should not, it re-enforces this behavior. What is he allowed to chew on? Does he get raw marrow beef bones? or antlers? bully sticks? etc. I've had many Rottweilers through the years...and never found that they were a breed to chew household stuff past the young puppy age...and that was always my fault for giving too much freedom or not watching them enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts