Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just thought I would share what happened today when I went to the pet store. I had Regen with me who is 16 mo. and I was picking up treats for tracking. Of course someone had to say what a nice dog I had and started talking. This guy shared that he used to have a male rottweiler a long time ago. I also shared that we have a male and two more females at home. He then shared that his male rottweiler weighed 160lb. Of course my response was that he must have been fat, and the guy said, "No way, he was nothing but muscle!" I didn't argue with the guy, just told him that our male rott that we lost last February weighed 113 lb. and was fit and trim and was well within the rottweiler standard.

I just have to vent as I am so sick and tired of hearing stories from people who either have/had a rottweiler who weighed 160 lb. plus, or know someone who does. Does anyone else out there get the same thing? I'm not saying that a 160 lb. rottweiler is not possible, I'm just saying that that rottweiler must be fat/overweight. What is it about people that makes them think that a 160 lb. rottweiler is something to brag about? :mad:

Anyway, thanks for listening to me VENT!!!!!! If you have any suggestions on comebacks that I haven't already tried, please share! If you have heard a similar story I like to hear it. :confused:

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I compare it to when someone says you should have seen the fish I caught he was huge. Seriously I think people aren't sure because it's hard to tell what they weigh unless they weigh them on an accurate scale. I also know I have been surprised by my rotties weight. When my last rottie had to be put to sleep because of cancer they weighed him and he was skin and bones. He weighed 125 lbs. The Vet said he must have been a very large rottie when he was in his prime. I think he must have weighed about 140lbs but he was way out of standard. He was 30 inches at his withers.

·
Registered
677 Posts
no one should be proud of an overweight dog! maybe his dog was huge lol! my rottwielers 6 months and hes 96 pounds, i see his ribs and hes very fit! so im hoping im doing the right thing =D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
holy crap - 6 months old and 96 pounds???!!!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey, just thought I would share what happened today when I went to the pet store. I had Regen with me who is 16 mo. and I was picking up treats for tracking. Of course someone had to say what a nice dog I had and started talking. This guy shared that he used to have a male rottweiler a long time ago. I also shared that we have a male and two more females at home. He then shared that his male rottweiler weighed 160lb. Of course my response was that he must have been fat, and the guy said, "No way, he was nothing but muscle!" I didn't argue with the guy, just told him that our male rott that we lost last February weighed 113 lb. and was fit and trim and was well within the rottweiler standard.

I just have to vent as I am so sick and tired of hearing stories from people who either have/had a rottweiler who weighed 160 lb. plus, or know someone who does. Does anyone else out there get the same thing? I'm not saying that a 160 lb. rottweiler is not possible, I'm just saying that that rottweiler must be fat/overweight. What is it about people that makes them think that a 160 lb. rottweiler is something to brag about? :mad:

Anyway, thanks for listening to me VENT!!!!!! If you have any suggestions on comebacks that I haven't already tried, please share! If you have heard a similar story I like to hear it. :confused:
I think its a sydrome associated with matcho or lovey pet types who perhaps get a rottie after they have seen their first rather large pet rottie out on the street somewhere. These type of people have likely never been to a competition where the dogs are kept in 'condition' and are 'fit for function'.

We took in a bitch whose owner had died purely because we felt so sorry for her and were appalled to see what she looked like, she had been taken in as a private rescue, when we got her she weighed 69kilos but when they first took her in she was 74 kilos!!! Talk about killing with kindness.

·
Registered
494 Posts
muscle weights more than fat, when Kodi was 7 1/2 months he had just passed the 100lb mark
I think they are all different some are lanky some are taller than the norm and some are taking after
their parents like Kodi he was a tank at 7 weeks. he'll be a year old August first and he's still a tank
now probably 120+ not sure he hasn't been weighted since he was 7 or so months old. Kodi never went through
what I call the awkward stage when all the others I've had over the years did.
honestly I dont care how large he gets as long as he's healthy which he is he's not fat nor skinny
what gets me is people thinking they should all be the same when their not they are individuals just like
every other animal on the planet. bottom line Kodi is taking after Dik von Haus Milsped grandfather and Konnenstoltz Schones Titus
father. this puppy is NOT FAT!
http://rottweilersonline.com/forum/nutrition-grooming/7071-does-he-look-fat-you.html

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'm not saying the puppy is fat, I'm just in shock that a 6 month old puppy weighs almost 100 pounds - that is a BIG PUPPY...and puppies that grow too fast inevitably end up with joint issues later in life, especially large breed puppies.

Reactions: Omz and Sophi

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm not saying the puppy is fat, I'm just in shock that a 6 month old puppy weighs almost 100 pounds - that is a BIG PUPPY...and puppies that grow too fast inevitably end up with joint issues later in life, especially large breed puppies.
I have see several 6 month old pups at shows in the last 2 years raised on RC Baby Puppy (?) who were GIGANTIC, they were already at or bigger than the breed standard height, they maybe what pet owners are wanting but they can't go on in the show ring, and as you point out, there may be others issues later due to the rapid growth

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd like to see pictures--front view and side views of all these puppies hitting the 100 lb. mark at under 10 months of age.

·
Registered
677 Posts
ahh yes hes pretty big for a puppy, i feed him twice a day of kibble and thats all he gets! all he does is chase around horses lol! ud think he was skinny! but i took him to the vet and he said hes within normal for his size, so im guessing its good for him now =D i posted pics up of him! his names Hoshi

·
Registered
677 Posts
Dog Working animal Liver Carnivore Dog breed Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Grass Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Companion dog This is Hoshi, When i first got him he was 2 months old and weighed 22 pounds, at 3 months old he was 44 pounds, and now at 6 months going to 7 months hes 96 pounds! does he look fat? my vet hes right where he should be, i feed him royal canin maxi junior,

·
Registered
677 Posts
hi! i posted pics of him, and will tke side and front views for you! i weighed him around a month ago at the vets on an electric weight scale and he was 96 pounds, will go back for a check up and will weigh him then! keep u updated

·
Registered
677 Posts
haha no hes 96 pounds, i posted pics of him =D will weigh him when i take him again to the vets, i tell u its hard to carry him in the car!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yikes he is a big boy - lovely boy, but he could afford to lose a bit of weight at his age, his bulk will come with maturity, dont be in a hurry to put bulk on such a young puppy as it will do him no favours in the long term and it will age his joints prematurely

·
Registered
494 Posts
sometimes they are born bulky it's in their genes, no since trying to change the nature of the beast.
my Boy wasn't over eating at 6-7 weeks of age but yet he was large and still is. I've said it before and I'll say it again
he never went through a lanky/awkward stage where every other puppy I had in my life did."it's all in the body structure"
if you want a skinny dog get a grey hound or a whippet. on the other end I've seen so many Rotti's that were full
grown and smaller then a Lab. hasn't the America bred Rottweilers gotten smaller over the years of breeding down?
Aisha I think he looks healthy and well cared for "not fat":)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Aisha: The first 2 pics are fine. The 3rd with him sitting, can't tell but I don't like the hanging throat area. Can you put up a side view?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts