Rottweilers Online Forums banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Aisha, re the pics on the previous page, watch him closely he is a large dog and has the potential to be too heavy for his age, he has a lovely front on him dont be tempted to fill that very large frame in, wait for it all to come, his waist could be a little more of a waist at this age.

I do not believe in feeding some kibble and some raw, unless you are spending a week or so transitioning, simply because one requires a low pH to fully digest anf free the nutrients and the other (kibble) is carb/sugar rich, already digested (doesn't give the stomach anything to do - use it or lose it!) and kibble dog have a stomch pH of around 5+

Re Poogles comment about the cal phos thing, yes when you are feeding a complete there is a worry of creating an imbalance when you supplement the diet with food such as cottage cheese etc, even some doggy treats are heavy imbalanced in supplementary vits and mins. With Raw diets there is little chance of imabalance because the nutrients are in their natural form accompanied by other nutrients so they all work together.

Re the meat and bone ratio I tend to go with at least 25% bone probably more often aroung 30% bone. Check out the carcass ratios of whole small prey eg a whole chicken is 28%- 32% bone, 48% - 51% meat, 12%-14% skin and 7%-8% sep' fat

Chicken wings (which in the UK seems to be what a lot of people go for!) 32% meat and 46% bone and these people are often spouting to new raw feeders that the ratio they need to follow is 80% meat ! (way too much - I doubt even commercially animals are 80% meat!!) 10% Bone 10% organs.

Even a very small prey animal such as a rabbit has skeletal frame of 25%

I did some investigating to a new raw food supplier this week, very expensive appealing to a niche market, they refer to a Homeopathic vet and a chef who has worked at Kensinton Palce ???!!!. Some of their pre packed meals for example 33% Meat 33% Bone and 33% veg (lets not even go there for a while!!) Great to see the meat to bone ratio though.

So, I then sent them a few questions via email as a potential customer, first of all they told me the veg was added to boost protein ................... then the following day they changed their minds! Must have consulted the sensible vet. I think holistic vets are far more food savy.

I said I wasn't interested in the meals with the veg, what about their meat and bone food. They send me an email back saying that the bone content was only 10% which wasn't enough and that I would need to add more bone. Then I find their meat and bone food is ground up!!! I own a bloody carnivore for goodness sake!

When you think that going back to the origins of the Rottweiler who traveled from Italy to Germany with Hannible before taking its name from the German town of Rottweil its diet would have likey been scraps from heritage breed of sheep and goat, which naturally do not carry much muscle meat unlike the hybid commercial livestock of today, as well as small prey and even then its unlikey that the dogs recieved much meat at all, much like the soldiers and gladiators who travelled with them, who bones have since found to be devoid of zinc. The Gladiators were called barley men, they were fed barley to keep them fattened up hence to lack of zinc - grain is just one thing which reduces the uptake of nutrients.
Kaza u r so amazing, words fail me xx

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well trust me not to be able to keep my gob shut.... I'm afraid I have emailed...

200 lbs !!!!!! For sire & dam is totally disgusting and nothing to be proud of.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just that.... "200 lbs !!!!!! For sire & dam is totally disgusting and nothing to be proud of."

Don't tempt me --- I COULD of said far more !!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh well this is what I got back and what I replied - her reply underneath and mine on top...... jakesmom - what have you started. lol
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha ha ha ... I don't think so.

I deal with the breed day in day out meeting approx 10 new ones every week - could literally round up 1000 for you tomorrow - will see approx another 100 at the weekend at a Champ show and I DO know what I am talking about. Anything over 135 lbs is going to be grossly overweight.

I suggest you read up on the breed standard as in 25 yrs of owning the breed and having approx. 50 through my house as fosters etc I have NEVER seen one of 200 lbs except a grossly overweight one that died young.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------Original Message-------

Date: 10/08/2011 21:52:01
To: Lorraine; [email protected]
Subject: Re: Rott pup

Okay dip shit first off you should really keep to your self and not send emails off and making your self look like a ass. Both her parents were healthy they were not over weight or fat in any way . If you knew the breed or had half a brain you would know that is the weight range for a rott.so shut the hell up and kiss my ass.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
it's probably just BS anyhow. 200lbs for a female is beyond overweight. it's a like a 6 foot tall 400lb man. if that dog really exists, i really feel sorry for it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh well this is what I got back and what I replied - her reply underneath and mine on top...... jakesmom - what have you started. lol

I deal with the breed day in day out meeting approx 10 new ones every week - could literally round up 1000 for you tomorrow - will see approx another 100 at the weekend at a Champ show and I DO know what I am talking about. Anything over 135 lbs is going to be grossly overweight.

I suggest you read up on the breed standard as in 25 yrs of owning the breed and having approx. 50 through my house as fosters etc I have NEVER seen one of 200 lbs except a grossly overweight one that died young.

Okay dip shit first off you should really keep to your self and not send emails off and making your self look like a ass. Both her parents were healthy they were not over weight or fat in any way . If you knew the breed or had half a brain you would know that is the weight range for a rott.so shut the hell up and kiss my ass.
LOL!!!! shes angry! u must have guts! hahahahahaha i could have never emailed =)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm just passionate Aisha.... and deal with too many people that just do the breed no favours at all.

Tomorrow I have about 150 mile round trip to see a very nice !!! gentleman who phoned rescue yesterday with the words -

"Can you do anything with FIVE hip scored breeding bitches or shall I just have them put to sleep. I don't want them, there's no money in rotts anymore"...

He also has an 8 yr old bitch and a 10 yr old male, and these five bitches range from two yrs upwards. He apparently breeds for temperament so at least we should be ok there then.

Two of us are going to see him and the girls and on this occassion I am going to have to remain buttoned until those dogs are out of there.

The things I see and hear make it difficult to keep my opinions to myself sometimes.

There is one good thing here - and that is that this guy will obviously not be breeding anymore.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm just passionate Aisha.... and deal with too many people that just do the breed no favours at all.

Tomorrow I have about 150 mile round trip to see a very nice !!! gentleman who phoned rescue yesterday with the words -

"Can you do anything with FIVE hip scored breeding bitches or shall I just have them put to sleep. I don't want them, there's no money in rotts anymore"...

He also has an 8 yr old bitch and a 10 yr old male, and these five bitches range from two yrs upwards. He apparently breeds for temperament so at least we should be ok there then.
NOBODY that breeds for temperament or anything else that truly CARES about the DOGS would give you that excuse to get rid of the dogs. If they've 'served their purpose' he should find homes for them himself instead of dumping them in rescue...hip scored doesn't mean squat if the dogs, even if bred for 'temperament'. I highly doubt this 'person' will not be breeding any more - he's just dumping the worst producers in his 'program' to more than likely bring in more dogs - and if they can't produce enough puppies per heat cycle, he'll probably dump them too.

Reactions: regens_mom

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's going to be very difficult to keep it Zipped Rottimom.

I believe he is into something else other than rotties now. I didn't take the call so do not know all the details but i will no doubt find out tomorrow. I am quite surprised that the rescue is even considering going down there tbh.... as we get 5 to 10 calls every day to bring dogs in and can take about 1 or 2 per week, and we do not have enough foster homes vacant to take in 5 dogs.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
how callus. he just discards them because he can't get "good money" for the pups. i guess it's just a business to him. he'd probably make a really lousy friend too. you have to keep quiet about it because otherwise next time he'll just kill them rather than listen to any lectures. not that it would be your fault in any way whatesoever.

·
Registered
262 Posts

You should have invited her to join our ROF and then leave us to "educate " that well spoken person :mad:

81 - 100 of 132 Posts