Rottweilers Online Forums banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have found this with our ruby people always comment on how big she is going to get oh shes goin be massive to be honest i dont care if she get big or bigger or small she just our pet .she is 18 weeks and we actual weighed her last week just out of cursioty and she weighed 2stone 3 she is all legs at the mo and i honestly dont care how big she gets as long as she stays as friendly as she is although we have socialized her well .lol saying that she no choice at house with another dog and 3 cats

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
one of the reasons that i chose a female was because they are smaller and are easy to pick up if you need to do so (ex: vet emergency). there have been times where she was bothering people at the door and instead of getting huffy, i simply picked her up and moved her to the other room. these days that is no longer necessary as she has figured out that if i tell her to get away from someone it doesn't mean to just ignore me and keep doing it :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi regens mom. my ozzy that i picked up in reno august 2007 was 168 lbs. when i got him.he is now down to 155 lbs.he is the largest ive seen yet and i am on my sixth rottie.my facebook nicholas scatuorchio has many pictures of ozzy please see for yourself how beautiful and non-overweight looking ozzy is.my lagest male behind ozzy was 135 lbs. at his prime

·
Registered
848 Posts
first thing people always say is ohhhh man my rott was huge, 200 lbs
alot of people like to talk too much
ive never met a pure bred rott over 130
ive seen one thats a bull mastiff rottie mix that was around 200 but its wasnt pure bred, so u cant say ohh my rotts 200 lbs

i usually just smile and say yea

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should care how lareg your rottie gets, specially during puppyhood. Puppies that grow too quickly can experience joint and hip problems. Proper, high quality nutrition is always important, but more so while they are puppies. Your statement that you do not care how big she gets as long as she stays friendly is irresponsible since obesity in rottweilers can lead to premature joint problems, cartiledge and tendon issues and heart issues. Is this your first Rottie? If you are not well versed on the proper nutritional care of rottweilers, please refer to a veterinarian or an experienced breeder that can mentor you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe I am a little late on posting here, but I have 4 Rotties 2 females and 2 males. My largest male is 162lbs and is solid muscle. He is a HUGE dog. There is not an inch of fat on my dog. We breed him and his pups are very large just like him too, not just the males. Not fat. They are just very large Rottweilers.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Maybe I am a little late on posting here, but I have 4 Rotties 2 females and 2 males. My largest male is 162lbs and is solid muscle. He is a HUGE dog. There is not an inch of fat on my dog. We breed him and his pups are very large just like him too, not just the males. Not fat. They are just very large Rottweilers.
You have very big rotties. I thought mine were big compared to what size people say their rotties are. My male is about 125 lbs or a little more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whilst I haven't owned a Rottie, I have had similar encounters with people about Shepherds and Dobies. Look into the Warlock Dobie farce to see the extent of this idiotic ideal for mass. Unfortunately I have seen many overweight Rotties that always seem to be owned by a certain class of person wanting to bulk them up with fat to make them look bigger. A trim and healthy Rottie, irrespective of weight is stunning.

It's interesting to note that these people never take into account the bone structure of the animal. As said, there are lots of mixes between Rotts and Dobies to get a bigger Dobie, but this is an extraordinary burden on the Dobie bone structure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Whilst I haven't owned a Rottie, I have had similar encounters with people about Shepherds and Dobies. Look into the Warlock Dobie farce to see the extent of this idiotic ideal for mass. Unfortunately I have seen many overweight Rotties that always seem to be owned by a certain class of person wanting to bulk them up with fat to make them look bigger. A trim and healthy Rottie, irrespective of weight is stunning.

It's interesting to note that these people never take into account the bone structure of the animal. As said, there are lots of mixes between Rotts and Dobies to get a bigger Dobie, but this is an extraordinary burden on the Dobie bone structure.
I'm of a certain MANY classes of people, and I like an extra large Rottweiler, Some aristocrats like them large too.

Aristokrat, so tell me which "class" am I in???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmm, that was very unnecessary. Do you have a complex? Quite clearly I have stipulated that this certain class of person has a tendency towards mass that the breed cannot cope with structurally, i.e., obesity, cross breeding to increase size or just poor breeding. If you are offended by this then I hope that you do not have any big dog, as that means you condone these practices!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FCI Rottweiler standard states that the dogs should be 42-50 kilos - that's about 92-110 pounds.
SIZE AND WEIGHT:

Height at withers:
For males is 61 - 68 cm.
Weight: Approximately 50 kg.

Height at Withers:
For females is 56 - 63 cm.
Weight: Approximately 42 kg.

AKC Rottweiler standard in terms of size: Size, Proportion, Substance
Dogs--24 inches to 27 inches. Bitches--22 inches to 25 inches, with preferred size being mid-range of each sex. Correct proportion is of primary importance, as long as size is within the standard's range. The length of body, from prosternum to the rearmost projection of the rump, is slightly longer than the height of the dog at the withers, the most desirable proportion of the height to length being 9 to 10. The Rottweiler is neither coarse nor shelly. Depth of chest is approximately fifty percent (50%) of the height of the dog. His bone and muscle mass must be sufficient to balance his frame, giving a compact and very powerful appearance. Serious Faults--Lack of proportion, undersized, oversized, reversal of sex characteristics (bitchy dogs, doggy bitches).

So, a 160 pound Rottweiler, or even a 130-140 pound rottweiler is out of standard and should not be celebrated or desired, by ANYONE. It is not healthy for the breed and oversized rottweilers bred on purpose are a detriment to the breed and those breeders bringing them into the world ought to be ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

Most of the overweight rotties (or any breed) I know are simply fat because their owners are, well, idiots, and don't see that their 'love' of their dog by feeding it will eventually kill the dog - and the owners are often pretty 'thick in the waist' as well.

BIGGER and FATTER are two different things, and the Rottweiler should be neither.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Aristokrat, funny, my oversize Rotts have lived long, happy and healthy lives, longer than the breed norm in fact. In my opinion, you are full of "it" and a know it all blah, blah....

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Aristokrat, funny, my oversize Rotts have lived long, happy and healthy lives, longer than the breed norm in fact. In my opinion, you are full of "it" and a know it all blah, blah....
I'm glad your dogs lived long lives, but I'm betting that carrying the extra weight - whether fat or not, did nothing for their joints. Bigger, in terms of Rottweilers, is NOT better, regardless of personal preferences.

What exactly is the 'breed norm' for longevity? I know of rotties that have died at 2 years old of genetic issues, and several more that are going strong at 12-14 years old.

So, based on your theory (that your oversized dogs lived well past the breed norm), both of my girls should live to what, 18-20 years old, because they are small (65 and 70 pounds)?

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I take my almost 1 yr old in to visit patients at work more times than not size is brought up by them. Mostly the male patients asking how big is he going to get. Or they look at him and say, "He's going to be a BIG boy!" At which I add, I certainly hope not as he has to be within the standard for the breed. When they use the work HUGE I know exactly what they're referring to. Not once do they mention his wonderful temperament and few have even asked at what age will he act like a real Rottweiler! :eek:

Many times people think he's over 100 lbs but he's actually more near 90, and most likely 85 lbs, at almost a year old. Some pics he looks bigger depending on the pose but there's no way I'm going to allow any dog of mine to be fat and chance any joint problems in the future. This breed has enough health issues to worry about without my adding to them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Haha - this thread cracks me up. I was at my lake home this last weekend walking Crixus (3 months old), and he always gets everyone's attention when they see him. This one family walked by and said they used to have a Rottweiler too and he weighed 160 lbs. I thought to myself, oh here we go again. So is that like the standard with most Rott owners, to totally over estimate the weight of their dog? This is like the 3rd time I've come across someone in person making the 160 lbs claim.

I also got into an arguement with a friend of mine there over free feeding. His Dobie is like 15-20 overweight yet insist that free feeding is ok. I tried to explain how that is why the dog is overweight and how if he schedules the feeding with perhaps a little bit less that the manufacturer's recommendation that the dog would probaby get down to it's ideal weight. He basically said screw that, if my dog wants to eat, I let him eat.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I also got into an arguement with a friend of mine there over free feeding. His Dobie is like 15-20 overweight yet insist that free feeding is ok. I tried to explain how that is why the dog is overweight and how if he schedules the feeding with perhaps a little bit less that the manufacturer's recommendation that the dog would probaby get down to it's ideal weight. He basically said screw that, if my dog wants to eat, I let him eat.
Most people don't want to hear from 'regular people' about their pets being overweight - they need to hear it, several times, from the vet and the veterinary technician and then again from the other staff members - all in the course of a single visit.

I'm not shy with most clients about their pets weight - I'm often the one to bring them into an exam room and get a pets history for a visit, and the first thing I do is review their weight from previous visits to the current visit, and if the pet has gained weight, or is noticeably larger, I'll say something, and any weight gain is noted in the chart.

Same goes for weight loss - I'll celebrate with clients when their pet loses ANY weight on purpose - even one pound - I know how hard it can be.

That said, Jayda easily gains weight - and cutting back on her food takes the weight off just as easily. If I free fed her she'd weigh 100 pounds - and for her, that's almost 40 pounds too much! Even 2 pounds heavy is too much for her...

Regular feeding times not only controls how much your dog eats, but it also helps regulate when the dog needs to go out for potty :), and even more important, helps you when your dog is NOT eating properly. Lazy people can't be bothered to feed twice a day - fill the bowl and walk away, when its empty, refill it - and if the dog is fed outside, hopefully the dog eats everything before bugs, etc., take up residence in there adding who knows what to the food!

When your friends dog is crippled with arthritis and other weight related ailments, it'll be too late for him to do anything...how sad :(

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
i wish that i could control my own caloric intake with such dispassionate efficiency as i do with the dog. i'd be a machine.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i wish that i could control my own caloric intake with such dispassionate efficiency as i do with the dog. i'd be a machine.
Now ain't THAT the truth! I'd be freaking gorgeous <LOL>!!

101 - 120 of 132 Posts