Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

160 lb. Rott

Tags
fat dog
43K views 133 replies 30 participants last post by  big black dogs 
#1 ·
Hey, just thought I would share what happened today when I went to the pet store. I had Regen with me who is 16 mo. and I was picking up treats for tracking. Of course someone had to say what a nice dog I had and started talking. This guy shared that he used to have a male rottweiler a long time ago. I also shared that we have a male and two more females at home. He then shared that his male rottweiler weighed 160lb. Of course my response was that he must have been fat, and the guy said, "No way, he was nothing but muscle!" I didn't argue with the guy, just told him that our male rott that we lost last February weighed 113 lb. and was fit and trim and was well within the rottweiler standard.

I just have to vent as I am so sick and tired of hearing stories from people who either have/had a rottweiler who weighed 160 lb. plus, or know someone who does. Does anyone else out there get the same thing? I'm not saying that a 160 lb. rottweiler is not possible, I'm just saying that that rottweiler must be fat/overweight. What is it about people that makes them think that a 160 lb. rottweiler is something to brag about? :mad:

Anyway, thanks for listening to me VENT!!!!!! If you have any suggestions on comebacks that I haven't already tried, please share! If you have heard a similar story I like to hear it. :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
I compare it to when someone says you should have seen the fish I caught he was huge. Seriously I think people aren't sure because it's hard to tell what they weigh unless they weigh them on an accurate scale. I also know I have been surprised by my rotties weight. When my last rottie had to be put to sleep because of cancer they weighed him and he was skin and bones. He weighed 125 lbs. The Vet said he must have been a very large rottie when he was in his prime. I think he must have weighed about 140lbs but he was way out of standard. He was 30 inches at his withers.

#7 ·
I think its a sydrome associated with matcho or lovey pet types who perhaps get a rottie after they have seen their first rather large pet rottie out on the street somewhere. These type of people have likely never been to a competition where the dogs are kept in 'condition' and are 'fit for function'.

We took in a bitch whose owner had died purely because we felt so sorry for her and were appalled to see what she looked like, she had been taken in as a private rescue, when we got her she weighed 69kilos but when they first took her in she was 74 kilos!!! Talk about killing with kindness.

#8 · (Edited)
muscle weights more than fat, when Kodi was 7 1/2 months he had just passed the 100lb mark
I think they are all different some are lanky some are taller than the norm and some are taking after
their parents like Kodi he was a tank at 7 weeks. he'll be a year old August first and he's still a tank
now probably 120+ not sure he hasn't been weighted since he was 7 or so months old. Kodi never went through
what I call the awkward stage when all the others I've had over the years did.
honestly I dont care how large he gets as long as he's healthy which he is he's not fat nor skinny
what gets me is people thinking they should all be the same when their not they are individuals just like
every other animal on the planet. bottom line Kodi is taking after Dik von Haus Milsped grandfather and Konnenstoltz Schones Titus
father. this puppy is NOT FAT!
http://rottweilersonline.com/forum/nutrition-grooming/7071-does-he-look-fat-you.html

#9 ·
I'm not saying the puppy is fat, I'm just in shock that a 6 month old puppy weighs almost 100 pounds - that is a BIG PUPPY...and puppies that grow too fast inevitably end up with joint issues later in life, especially large breed puppies.

Reactions: Omz and Sophi
#10 ·
I have see several 6 month old pups at shows in the last 2 years raised on RC Baby Puppy (?) who were GIGANTIC, they were already at or bigger than the breed standard height, they maybe what pet owners are wanting but they can't go on in the show ring, and as you point out, there may be others issues later due to the rapid growth

#12 ·
ahh yes hes pretty big for a puppy, i feed him twice a day of kibble and thats all he gets! all he does is chase around horses lol! ud think he was skinny! but i took him to the vet and he said hes within normal for his size, so im guessing its good for him now =D i posted pics up of him! his names Hoshi

#18 ·
Yikes he is a big boy - lovely boy, but he could afford to lose a bit of weight at his age, his bulk will come with maturity, dont be in a hurry to put bulk on such a young puppy as it will do him no favours in the long term and it will age his joints prematurely

#19 ·
sometimes they are born bulky it's in their genes, no since trying to change the nature of the beast.
my Boy wasn't over eating at 6-7 weeks of age but yet he was large and still is. I've said it before and I'll say it again
he never went through a lanky/awkward stage where every other puppy I had in my life did."it's all in the body structure"
if you want a skinny dog get a grey hound or a whippet. on the other end I've seen so many Rotti's that were full
grown and smaller then a Lab. hasn't the America bred Rottweilers gotten smaller over the years of breeding down?
Aisha I think he looks healthy and well cared for "not fat":)

#22 ·
He is a beautifull dog , he is going to be big .
We have two brothers and they are not the same weight , Sydney is lighter more athletic build ( he looks skinny actually , 34kg in 6 months ) Buddy is bigger and heavyer i think he is going to be really big , like his father ( real big monster :D ) and yes he has got litle bit of bacon on his ribs , because he is a healthy eater :rolleyes:
Hoshi is a litle bit overweight just a litle bit :p

#23 ·
Dog Vertebrate Mammal Flooring Carnivore
hi thank you for all the advice from very educated people! unfortunately my dogs are on kibble food, and i am changing to raw food! so im hoping he looses weight, i will take pictures of him today for you poogles, i hope its good, thank you again for all your advice! xx

#26 ·
I often get told about the 160 (or more) lb rottweiler that someone either owned, or knew someone with such a dog. I sometimes don't say anything, but I often will say 'Wow - that is out of standard for the breed. I hope it didn't affect the dog's health, as too much weight on a rottie can cause many different health problems." Then I tell them that my dog is within the breed standard, and I plan on keeping him that way.

Now, I sometimes get told that JJ is a BIG dog, and their rottie was much smaller. What I have often learned is that their rottie was a female, and so I explain that a female will often be significantly smaller than a male, sometimes with a difference of 30 - 40 lbs.

I have also learned that most people cannot judge the weight of a dog they are looking at. I often get estimates on JJ's weight that are 20 - 30 lbs more than his actual weight! So, that 160 lb rottie may really be 125 lbs.

#27 ·
Sylvia, look at the state of the youngster in this picture. I was mortified when I saw it, bred by somebody else but by my Rupert. (He is actually the litter brother of the bitch I posted on page 9 or 10 in the Pros n' Cons of raw feeding thread)

Typical error of those whose mental image of a rottweiler is a hulking, bulky dog. Why don't they buy a flippin' mastiff instead.

I was gutted when I saw this picture, the flippin breeder actually lifted the breeding restrictions on him (WHY?? Aren't there enough wannabe's out there offering thier males as Studs, without complete novices joining in?? )and he was advertised as a Stud on a UK hence I grabbed the opportunity to send him a. erm. polite Hi and explain what was going to happen to this young male if he didn't get him sorted SHARPISH

Rant Over!

Attachments

#28 ·
There is a old guy that I always run into at Lowes when I take my Rott. He see's mine and then goes into detail about how much bigger his rott was. I think its small pen*s syndrome.

A lot of Rott's I see IMO are fat and over weight. Which is sad because is completely controlled by how much food you feed them.

#29 ·
hey guys! ok here are the pics i took today of hoshi, hope they are much clearer =D thank you again! and i just started introducing the raw diet! they actually ( all the dogs) gobbled up the chicken! i just introduced a leg each, with bone! all raw!!! YIPEEEE! but i hate to admit they still wanted kibble =) LOL as of today he is now 45 kg, so i think that makes 98 pounds, i weighed him at the vets, im hoping the change in diet will change this!!! thank you again Dog Vertebrate Comfort Carnivore Mammal
Hand Shoe Dog Leg Carnivore
Dog Car Vehicle Hood Dog breed

#38 ·
hey guys! ok here are the pics i took today of hoshi, hope they are much clearer =D thank you again! and i just started introducing the raw diet! they actually ( all the dogs) gobbled up the chicken! i just introduced a leg each, with bone! all raw!!! YIPEEEE! but i hate to admit they still wanted kibble =) LOL as of today he is now 45 kg, so i think that makes 98 pounds, i weighed him at the vets, im hoping the change in diet will change this!!! thank you again View attachment 1440 View attachment 1441 View attachment 1442
he looks fantasic! NOT fat or over weight. IMHO its funny how others judge op's Rotti's but can't see their own through true eye's. I was looking through the photo a day thread and by some of the standards I see here they are all fat. I see loose neck skin in almost ever pic lol

#30 ·
These photos are much better and give a more clearer picture and looks ok! My prior post wasn't meant to be mean-spirited, a question was asked and I am presuming one would want an honest assessment. The photo of the dog sitting is hard to look at because of his position which can distort his appearance.

Aisha: one thing though about the raw diet, before you begin make sure you educate yourself fully on this diet so you are following it properly. A great group is the raw feeding on yahoo.com If you are able to, please join that group, they are fabulous. Since you have a puppy, you need to be most careful, with proper bone/meat ratios and especially with calcium/phosphorous ratios in growing puppies. You only get one chance to grow a puppy. I saw on the other thread that you've been feeding royal canin, if your dogs do ok on this food, I see no reason to change if you have no other options and maybe feeding 1/2 raw and 1/2 kibble. I had trouble with foods--raw included with my pup as he was growing and had to change way too often. I didn't like having to do it, I had no choice but to find something that worked for him but changing up foods makes me a little nervous when they are growing. A couple choices are fine, but I went to half a dozen to figure out what wouldn't give him the runs constantly.

Also, I will take this time to talk about my own fat rott from many many years ago. Your basic couch potato and basically what happened was during the morning feedings, my husband would get ready for work after feeding the dogs. It was common for the 'fat one' to eat the leftovers as my other male would walk away and he wasn't watching them eat. So I had one dog losing weight and another that ballooned up to 140 lbs. My God, was he fat. After getting a weight on him at the vets, I was able to drop 10 lbs. off him relatively quickly and he had to be watched while eating so he didn't grab 'extras.' He was a bottomless pit. So, I've been there with the fat dog myself. I couldn't imagine what a 160 lb. rott would look like, I'm thinking it would spontaneously explode or something---sad. I just want to re-iterate to grow all your pups slow, they are a slow growing and slow maturing breed, don't rush them, it will just hurt the dog in the long run.

#33 ·
Oh believe me i know you werent mean spirited, u are kind enough to warn me of the future, if he stays fat, which comes with all kinds of problems, no worries! i am being very careful with the raw food, im still feeding kibble, my bf ( bless him) and i are looking for a diet just for puppys, we are being careful, as we have a 3month old mixed puppy, and i dont want to end up ruining her growth because im feeding the wrong thing, i will research and do my homework =D and i will keep you updated, i love it on rottweilersonline all of you guys really genuinely care for ur dogs! im so lucky i joined ! a big thank you to all of you out there ! xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.