Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 month old pup that has been walking weird ever since I got him. It seems like he doesn't walk on just his paws but his whole leg instead. That goes for both the front and back legs.
I'll attach some pictures, they're not the best because hes a very active pup so its hard to take a good picture of him but the pictures give an idea of what I mean. I'll post more tomorrow if needed.
Is this normal? Does anyone know what's wrong?
Dog Road surface Asphalt Carnivore Tire

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Road surface

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Asphalt Road surface

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Welcome to the forums. No, that is not normal!! He is down on his pasterns! It's a common growth problem and you need to get help for him. What food is he eating?
It can be helped with a diet change. Also, if you can walk him on soft ground like sand or soft grass...that will help to strengthen his feet. You can do some googling to see what else will help. Diet I think will be a major factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums. No, that is not normal!! He is down on his pasterns! It's a common growth problem and you need to get help for him. What food is he eating?
It can be helped with a diet change. Also, if you can walk him on soft ground like sand or soft grass...that will help to strengthen his feet. You can do some googling to see what else will help. Diet I think will be a major factor.
Im

I dont know exactly what food he was given, but I'll ask. Do you think surgery is required? Or with a proper care a diet be enough?

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
How long have you had the pup?? If you got your pup from a breeder, you should never have gotten him in such a poor condition. He does not need surgery, this can usually be fixed by a diet change and some exercise walking on sand or soft ground. You can also make your pup eat from a stand feeder so he has to stand on his toes. It's caused by the joints, ligaments and bones growing at different rates. Change his food if you know what he is eating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive had the pup for only 4 days. I got him from a farm that didn't want him. I didn't pay anything for him and I figured I could give him a better life than what he was in.
I got him Purina Beneful chicken, I know its not the best but its better than what he was, and it was the only thing I could get him at the moment.

@big black dogs

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
OK...get him on a Large Breed Puppy food....he needs to be on a much better food than Beneful. If you want to correct this you are going to have to take him to the vet for shots and worming,etc. and let the vet see his condition. If you cannot afford to get him to the vet, then see if you can find a Rottweiler Rescue in your area. They will make sure to screen any home that is interested in adopting him and take care of all of his vet care.

For food any of the Large Breed Puppy will do for now...such as Iams, or Nutro, Purina Pro Plan,etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts