Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys/girls ive had my rottie for about 4.5 months and I never ever knew there was a forum!! She’s a female first Rott I’ve had she’s gorgeous I do wish I got a male but non the less we have bonded she is my best friend she just completed her advanced obedient training she’s a great pup and now I want her to have a friend I’m planning on getting a male Rottweiler or a Doberman for her friend but the male would be de-sexed as soon as I get her as I know male’s are not like females and can’t get desexed early due to females don’t grow to their full potential when de-sexed ( is this true ?? ) and I hate to wait till she’s 12mo now would it be good to get a male now so they can play and get used to eachother depending on how old the male is could be between 9 weeks - 2 months old??

I am pretty active with my dog and lunas new friend will be straight into the same obedience training that my rott has done

any help would be great thank you

this is Luna abit over 5 months old weighing 26kg (57.3 LBS) her coat is very shiny and healthy View attachment 19324

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Your Luna sounds like a wonderful puppy. Don't forget she is still very much a puppy...and you still have to go through the teenage age, and stage. There may be many setbacks with training, and there is still so much more work to put into her. Rottweilers are a slow to mature breed...both physically and mentally. The best thing you can do for yourself, and Luna is to wait till she is at least 2 years of age or more, before adding another pup to your family. She will be able to train the pup, and and he will learn from Luna. If you add a pup now, they may just bond to one another....and not care about you.

By waiting for a few years to add a pup.....they will still bond and play, and enjoy each others company.....but you will have a well trained dog, and a puppy. It's best to wait till Luna has gone through a heat or two so that she has fully matured and then have her spayed. If you add a male pup later....wait till he is at least 12-18 months of age to neuter.

Another negative about adding a puppy to your home right now...is that when they are so close in age....you can lose them in old age at a similar time. 😢

Keep Luna is some sort of training classes for at least the next year or two....obedience, rally, tracking, agility, herding and enjoy the bonding and fun you can have together.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums!! Your Luna sounds like a wonderful puppy. Don't forget she is still very much a puppy...and you still have to go through the teenage age, and stage. There may be many setbacks with training, and there is still so much more work to put into her. Rottweilers are a slow to mature breed...both physically and mentally. The best thing you can do for yourself, and Luna is to wait till she is at least 2 years of age or more, before adding another pup to your family. She will be able to train the pup, and and he will learn from Luna. If you add a pup now, they may just bond to one another....and not care about you.

By waiting for a few years to add a pup.....they will still bond and play, and enjoy each others company.....but you will have a well trained dog, and a puppy. It's best to wait till Luna has gone through a heat or two so that she has fully matured and then have her spayed. If you add a male pup later....wait till he is at least 12-18 months of age to neuter.

Another negative about adding a puppy to your home right now...is that when they are so close in age....you can lose them in old age at a similar time. 😢

Keep Luna is some sort of training classes for at least the next year or two....obedience, rally, tracking, agility, herding and enjoy the bonding and fun you can have together.:)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this I love her so much!

but how can I get her to herd I don’t have a farm,
She can heel, sit , lay , shake , stay , I paid $1800AUD for training and all they taught me was to heel, walking beside me but abit behind me as they should and soon she will go stay there for another 7-10 days and correct her with baiting.. and other things I would want done if she does well and progress’s the trainer said she is very confident , such a good learner she is great This is my first dog that I’ve had the longest as when I was younger I would get a dog but I would have to re-home due to my mother being frightened by dogs but now that I’m older it’s different
Is there some more training I can do? On my own?? I haven’t had a chat with the trainer again I should I believe I’m doing really well considering I’m doing everything the right way ( I hope )

a lot of people think she is a male because she looks how a male would look like around her age that short / medium snout some females have longer snouts

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Luna still has a LONG way to go with training! You need to sign up for obedience/training classes that you take her to....you both need to learn . You have to learn how to train. It's never a good idea to send away a puppy for training...and is not that common in North America. Most dog owner's attend a weekly class with their pup/dog....if a dog has some severe temperament problems....then the owner as a last ditch may send the dog away for training...but never a puppy.

Your pup right now may know some obedience....and that may work in the backyard, or your home. Get her signed up for an obedience class with other dogs around her and see how much she really knows,while trying to work with distractions. Her recall is one of the most important things right now to work on...and usually needs a couple of years to get perfect. Work on the three D's....Distance, Duration, and Distractions.

Please don't send her away for another week. Save your money...get signed up for a class with other dogs around....and do your training homework every day with her. As far as herding....you don't need a farm. There are people just outside of cities or in small towns that offer herding classes using sheep, ducks, etc. Same with tracking.

You have a working breed. To keep this breed happy they need a job and they need to be in constant training. Work on training Luna and her bonding with you...then think of adding another dog (for yourself...not for Luna).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts