Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My puppy, Beau, will be 6 months old tomorrow and he has just recently stopped sleeping through the night. I keep him on a pretty scheduled routine: We wake up at 7am and he gets fed, goes for a walk, he chills in my room while I finish getting ready for work, we play, and then he goes out one last time before going to his crate at 8:20am when I leave for work. I have a dog sitter come in between 12pm and 1pm and she takes him out, plays with him, sometimes she takes him to the park, etc. Then I come home and he goes out, we play until dinner time at 7pm, we go for a walk or go to class, we play, he goes out one last time before bed, normally between 10pm and 10:30pm. Then it starts: 4am, 5am, 6am, the loud barking, complaining, whining, fussing. So I take him out, he pees, and he goes back into his crate without complaint and goes back to sleep for about an hour before he starts up again. I've tried ignoring him when he barks, but he will keep barking for hours until someone takes him out. My roommate is a police officer and works 10 hour shifts and has been incessantly complaining about his barking keeping her up at night so I feel obligated to always respond in order to keep him quiet. Just this last week it started getting worse, now it is 2am, 2:30am, 4am, 4:30am, 6am, 6:30am. I don't know if maybe he is sick? Yesterday I come home from work and he had peed ALL over his crate, it was just everywhere. It took three full length towels to soak it all up, it was like a swimming pool in there. And he comes out just absolutely drenched in his own urine. He hasn't gone in his crate since he was 10 weeks old, so this is highly unusual. His urine doesn't smell weird or strong, like it would if he had a urinary tract infection, and he's not going in unusually small or frequent amounts, he hasn't even started marking at all. He pees like a race horse every time I take him out. I haven't changed his crate around at all recently, I took the divider out 2 months ago and he hasn't had any accidents. So I gave him a nice, long bath, and cleaned and sanitized his crate. So of course last night I'm even more paranoid that if I don't respond to him, he will go in his crate, or perhaps he has already gone in his crate and is complaining because he's messy. But at 3am last night, when I was taking him out for the third time, I checked his crate and it was dry, he just came out, got in my lap and curled up with me. Do I try him in my room? I don't know that I entirely trust him all night out of his crate. He doesn't take naps outside his crate usually so I'm worried I will get even less sleep if he's up, bounding around my room all night. Do I call my vet? I don't know, I'm just kind've at my wits end a bit. I am just exhausted, I haven't had more than three hours of uninterrupted sleep in weeks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I vote for UTI also.

Reactions: Sheera'smom

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree, it does sound like a UTI and on top of that he's probably teething. I've noticed my girl (just over 5 months old now) has been whining more than usual lately. After a quick inspection of her mouth she has a whole bunch of teeth poking their way through the gums. That can't be comfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts